A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 23 of 33 FirstFirst ... 13192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 March Madness :: Discussion Thread

Some of these images are super impressive.

a2 - i like the concept and the incorporation of the stock. great job with the arrows, force field, and reflecting sphere!

b2 - i love this. it looks like you've got some really strange stocks in that mix, but they all come together really well. images with white backgrounds are a tough thing to master, but you dunnit, great job!
    I think the big owl on the right wants to eat me

c1 - so, i love a lot of images this round, but this is the only one i feel raw sexual urges for. AMAZINGLY CREATIVE use of stock, great job with the islands and the falling debris. the smoke trails look superb also. all in all, my favorite.

d1 - once again, great use of stock. the out of focus tail in the forefront looks great. i love the faded blue to red overlay, it gives the image a great overall feel.
    Whoever lives in that castle is screwed.

f2 - ha ha ha.

g2 - great stock use, very clean feel, and great detail work. the explosion looks wonderful, the reflections in the water and the pirate flag are nice touches.

h1 - i really got a kick out of the concept behind this image, very creative stock use! this bracket will probably be the hardest choice for me.

h2 - absolutely beautiful image, but im having a hard time finding the stock.

great job all around, everyone! i had a lot of fun with my image this round, i hope the rest of you did the same!

pirate bay... lol. love the attitude and detail in that one. and the humor too... well, irreverence. laughing about that one.

I'll comment more once I get some sleep.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ondraedan
    h2 - absolutely beautiful image, but im having a hard time finding the stock.
    The guy boots

Just some comments, nothing too deep ^^. Having a real hard time deciding which ones to vote in E-H post =S

A1 - LOL!!! I love it! (like, omg woah...) Great concept, great photo treatment, and love the Monty Python reference!

B1 - This image is very good, clean and with so much impact. I think there's a big contrast between the blur and the aliased grunge, though.

B2 - What can I say? it's awesome! LOVE the detail and the old illustration look on it

C1 - Amazing photoshop skill on this one (as usual...)

E1 - impressive detail, great theme, great colours

E2 - great twist on the theme here . love the composition and the colours, but the font, not so hot (omg... I sound like paris... -_-)

F2 - I really love the theme mainly because I'm a huge fan of 50's B-Movies <3

G2 - Yarrgh!!! xD

H1 - I just love it! great photo treatment skills here (I wish I had some for me xD)

H2 - Love the romantic look, it's so beautiful, and great twist on the theme aswell <3
    I'm so fashion, everytime I fart, Prada releases a new fragance!

i usually don't call out my favorites ....but F2 with the robots is superb.

Ok I think I figured out who everyone is. I was waayy off in Round 1, but I feel pretty good about Round 2.

I'll post them tomorrow when the voting is pretty much decided...

E1 is da bomb.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I don't want to derail from this round....but i think we should cover something that might change the contest a bit....

I'd like to suggest that for the FINAL 2/Championship round, that the canvas size increases to something more desktop sized.

I'm thinking 1280x768....sound good?

Who's got guesses as to who's image is whose?

And we'll end voting at noon tomorrow.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 03-18-2008 at 03:01 PM.

I think a desktop sized image is a grand idea.

And I was gonna wait until tomorrow to post my guesses, but since you asked and all...

A1: >Flashl!ght<
    B2: gerbick
    C1: ctranter
    D1: fearless
    E1: ondraedan
    G1: Lefty
    G2: Nords

hopefully I'm closer than I was last time...

These are some really great images. No way I could pick a single favorite. And the more I look at them, the more I have no idea who did what!

Definitely sounds good.
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    make it BIGGER =D

like... 1920x something (or at least 1680 xD)

Some of my guesses

B1: THEWASTE
    B2: GERBICK (quite sure)
    C1: CTRANTER
    C2: DARKNESS
    D1: ONDRAEDAN (quite sure)
    D2: DAVULF
    H1: SANDY RIVERS
    H2: SAINT BENEDETTA (quite sure)

Quote Originally Posted by herr_dada

(you're quite wrong)

make it BIGGER =D

like... 1920x something (or at least 1680 xD)
    i'd rather not go that big. the bigger you go the harder it will be to find quality elements.

Some of my guesses

B1: THEWASTE
    B2: GERBICK (quite sure)
    C1: CTRANTER
    C2: DARKNESS
    D2: DAVULF
    H1: SANDY RIVERS
    H2: SAINT BENEDETTA (quite sure)
    It's a little hard to believe that I would be seen as a loser as to not post my image up thats a little harsh her_dada
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

<3
    Comment time! I'll just comment on the images that I like. It's hard to actually have a favourite just because I think that so many images have great elements in it. It's going to be so hard voting.

A1: I love the crispness, variety in visual elements and bright colours in the image. Very magazine-like. I'm going to take a guess and say that the first username to pop up for me is Ondraedan. It reminded me of that anorexic girl image that he made last year. Love the head/brain bit

A2: I feel that you have made the most creative use of the stock image provided compared to A1. I really quiet like the direction of which this image is heading towards however issues such as blending is what gravitated me towards the other image.

B2: The first username to pop up for this image is Gerbick based on the logo for the March Madness, typography and I guess the way the elements are put together. I like it how you have combined different images together into this collage-like format.

C1: This is so cool. If you, and I honestly can't guess who it is (got a few ideas but I'm guessing Ctranter or >Flashlight<), like metal I suggest that you check out Bolt Thrower's K-Machine. Or any of Bolt Thrower's more recent songs because the image reminded me of the energy behind their music. I really like the perspective of the image, clarity and the way it all goes together so nicely.

D1: My immediate guess is that this is possibly Ondraedan's but he did state that it's not him :P I like the very creative viewpoint, I think it adds a twist to the castle-dragon theme. I feel that the dragon's tail look too blended in with the background so it would be better to have this tail look more defined and solid.

E1: I like the variety and energy behind this image. I think that more could be done in blending it all in nicely and putting some restraint in the effects.

E2: I had a bit of a hard time deciding between this pair. I like the clarity of the image and the way the stock has been used, but I guess when it comes to the actual Photoshop manipulation/editing, I was more inclined with the other one. Good work though!

F1: The first user to pop up in mind is Herr_dada just because it reminds me a lot of his previous work.

F2: Love the robots! It made me chuckle. I also like the overall colour scheme, it works well with the theme.

G1: I like the way this image is heading with the fantasy theme and I feel that the elements could be worked upon to create a more seamless work. Thumbs up for you

H1: I think that you have incorporated the most creative use of stock photography compared to the other image. Really love the theme as well! Which one in the image is the bigger man eater, hmmm?

Hmm, sort of ran out of commenting juice near the end, sorry...
    Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 03-18-2008 at 07:50 PM.

<3
    Sorry for the double post, I accidentally clicked submit before thinking about editing my previous one.

c1 - so, i love a lot of images this round, but this is the only one i feel raw sexual urges for.

A1 - LOL!!! I love it! (like, omg woah...) Great concept, great photo treatment, and love the Monty Python reference!
    Damn, wait, I didn't see the reference. Is this the flying brain element?

(you're quite wrong)
    totally pwned =X (but it looks like i wasnt the only one to thought that way =D)

Quote Originally Posted by thedarkness
    It's a little hard to believe that I would be seen as a loser as to not post my image up thats a little harsh her_dada
    Actually I thought C1 was from CTRANTER, so I guessed C2 was from u since I knew you would be pairing with him, so I guess they're both wrong xD

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Benedetta
    Damn, wait, I didn't see the reference. Is this the flying brain element?
    Well, for me flying brain=Monty Python

Having seen it both ways, I definitely prefer the stock links with each group. I found that I liked just looking at the images and evaluating unbiased. Then I went over them again with the stock pulled up which solidified some votes, changed others and had no effect on others. All in all, super creative use of stock does not guarantee victory, but little to no use will definitely lose if I understand the spirit of a stock battle correctly.

This is the first MM I've paid attention too so I've been gradually learning what the big draw to battling is. The competition gets tense fast. It's so much harder to vote this round. I had to wait to cast my vote because of how hard it was to decide on some.

First off, I liked every submission this time. Great work all around and I'm very jealous.

__A__
    ------
    A perfect example of how viewing the stock during a second evaluation can change a vote. At first A1 seemed obvious but A2's use of stock gave it merit. In the end the balance and non-objectiveness of A1 won out.

__B__
    ------
    Stock really wasn't an issue here. I enjoyed B1. It gives the feeling of a battleground in the shape of a forest. I'm a vector pro though so the bitmap trace on the ninja really hurt it. B2 is pleasing to look at, very bold and successful use of negative space. I'm not sure if the color or lack therof is ambitious or plain though. Even for a surreal piece it loses a little meaning as it trails off. The longeity of B2 wins it for me.

__C__
    -----
    What can I say. Repetitivly floored by C1. It tells a great story and appealed to my sense of creativity. I enjoyed comparing it to the stock almost as much. Your study of effects has really paid off.

__D__
    -----
    I found it hard to judge D by comparing the images to each other. They each have a list of merits and achievments. I had to go with what I didn't like. It's either too many years spent in photoshop or what photoshop did to good design but I would rather D1 told more story than add more textures. I still voted for D1 because I felt D2 stuck a little to close to the "standard" battle image format and was less refreshing.

__E__
    -----
    I almost want to come back to this but I'll stay in order here. This was the last vote I decided on. I had to keep coming back to it. That was in every sense a throw down. For everything I liked about one image, I found something in the other that competed. I found the use of light and space in E2 equally powerful as the choice of elements in E1. It was fun and wrenching at the same time to pick a winner. Surprisingly, it came down to message. I felt the copy in E1 was more threating and competitive. Sorry E2, great fk'n job peeps.

__F__
    -----
    This one actually had me squarely on the fence from the word go. I had to approach each image completely differently and still wasn't sure how I felt. Viewing the stock confirmed my gut that F1 is the only submission this round I don't like. The balance is there but the variation is in the wrong places. Too many competing styles and the type setting is rough. F2 was refreshingly creative. You just wouldn't think you'd like a piece like that if someone described it to you.

__G__
    -----
    Ah G, the battle of the clipping path. Tough call, I like both but they both fail on matting. In the end G2's concept was less worn and made better use of stock.

__H__
    -----
    I found both images inconsequentially meaningless. I did not care that they were not rooted. Neither really ran with the stock but I felt H1 ended up as a more cohesive image. H2 is entertaining but I feel too many things are competeing for mood.

All in all a very entertaining round people. I enjoyed getting blown away be each battle and appreciate being allowed to see inside some of you.

Friendly reminder... voting ends at 12 noon EST (GMT -5) today... or some 1 hour and 10 minutes after this post.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

great job everyone. updated bracket is on the front page, and players have been revealed in the polls.

it's going to be a very very interesting Round3.