dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 19 of 33 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 March Madness :: Discussion Thread

<3
    I would hate it if more drama ensues and people are having a bad time (ie when it comes to voting issues). Although I think that a certain amount drama may perhaps contribute to the interest of this tournament.

I understand; however I've been in the middle of it all... I've personally had my fill of the drama.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Man. This stock for the next round is really neat and seems to allow so much, but its going to be difficult to pull off the execution knowing what I'm up against. *gulp*

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilRidesIn
    Herr_dada, I promise I'll actually put some time into my image for next round. I'm actually going to get started as soon as we get our stocks tonight, and I have a free weekend for a change to put in some good hours on it.
    take your time hehe

but this sucks for me, first of all cause I thought squidlips would won the round (very cool image, and I can almost swear he had more votes then me, but maybe I was to sleepy when I looked at it =S), and then I just got the news that I'm having a job interview for the next week (sneakers designer ) so it means until then, I want to spend as much time as possible in drawing some sneakers, so I can better impress at the interview.

And then I looked at my stock, and I'm having a blank here =S. Have no good idea atm...
    I'm so fashion, everytime I fart, Prada releases a new fragance!

this little conflict was my fault, but to be honest, i'm over it (or rather, getting over it). since my post, several guys have come forward and explained their reasoning behind voting (something that they did not have to do, so i appreciate it), which helped me work out my confusion quite a bit.

let me try to explain the whole thing in a different way. when you're working on an image for a contest, it's like making a product for mass retail. If you want to get a lot of votes, sell a lot of product, you think about what the public wants. when i'm making an image for this tournament, i'm making sure to build on the foundations of creativity, originality, quality stocks, some humor if possible, and most importantly skillful assembly. i think where the wires get crossed is that not everyone values the same things in the same order. When I'm voting, I value things like blending and composition first and foremost. The image needs to look well made. if that's on par, then i look for creative use of stock, originality of concept, humorous elements, etc. Now just to borrow gerbick and use him as a hypothetical example, when gerbs is voting he may be looking first and foremost for creative use of stock or originality. thus he could end up voting for an image that i don't think deserves the vote, and vice versa with his opinion of my vote.

this dynamic may seem pretty basic to some of you. i was just getting frustrated in my confusion and was looking for some clarity. but i got it. so thanks.

I look at completeness first. ie, overall effectiveness of the concept. Then I look at the PS skills. To be honest, I usually take it for granted that people use the stock, and can usually pick it out by comparing both images.

For me its all about pretty pictures. I think that as was mentioned before, this is just a fun thing we do every year that shouldn't be taken too seriously apart from sticking to the rules. No matter how people decide to cast their votes, I think they faithfully represent the sentiments of the Arena and FK in general, and over the years this contest has spanned, I don't think anyone has been dissapointed by the candidates that have made it past the first round.

Having lost in the last 3 MM's, I can assure you that despite the pang of dissapointment at losing, you're still proud of the person that beat you, and you root for that person to win. I don't think we could have that type of attitude if this was a really intense and cutthroat contest.

So let's just enjoy the rest of this and try to avoid the drama. Besides, if RollCanvas ever comes around again, we'll have drama to last through the rest of the year.

my stock rules. that is all.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog Photos Book

pairing B has been issued a substitute stock due to the original being poor quality.

B - http://www.sxc.hu/photo/939778

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilRidesIn
    Ctranter, yours I guessed, but that didn't diminish the quality. Awesome work, as always. Out of curiosity, what resolution is the source image?
    By source do you mean the stocks or the finished image?

Quote Originally Posted by ctranter
    By source do you mean the stocks or the finished image?
    Sorry, yeah, I meant the finished image (i.e. the "master"). I'm just curious what resolution you're working in for that kind of clarity and detail.
    "If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, then it must logically be a finite improbability."

1400x800

Quote Originally Posted by ctranter
    1400x800
    Thanks. (I knew it was going to be lower than I expected. I was expecting 3500x2000 or something.) You pack a lot of detail into those pixels.
    "If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, then it must logically be a finite improbability."

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    my stock rules. that is all.
    thank gerbick for that. he picked our stock for us. Although, i'm not 100% happy with it.

I'm enjoying the drama. It really only has entertainment value and CL has been boring. So keep it up FK'rs.

whoever got the stock of the view telescope better do something amazing with it, That is a stock worthy of the finals.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

speaking of that stock, it's by our very own Wannabe80z....thanks for providing your great photography to us, man.

Planet Claire Embassator herr_dada's Avatar
    I love the stock for this round, specially H xD so funny!
    I'm so fashion, everytime I fart, Prada releases a new fragance!

<3
    Quote Originally Posted by thedarkness
    Well this Next round has me drinking a Hieniken wiping my brow not to mention the stock image is not the friendliest, but I have an idea and will roll with it. My opponent is an accomplished artist with out question.
    I have armed myself with a gin and tonic.

Too much of that stuff and I wake up the following morning feeling like as if I had a frontal lobotomy.

My stock is good but man I haven't thought of one good idea with it yet. Still thinking about it.

Hey ctranter, I'd love to see the 1400x800 one if you have time to post it up somewhere. Might be big enough to justify desktop (certainly desktop material).
    >flashl!ght<
    All the normal names were taken.
    Ron Paul was right.

Obviously much lower quality at higher res, as it was designed with a reduction in size in mind. But its there:

http://ctranter.co.uk/Ruins.jpg