A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: 2008 March Madness :: Discussion Thread

<3
    Ok, I'm assuming that we're still working on the 700px x 400px (and vv) dimensions..

yes we are....dimensions will change for the final round

<3
    awesome!!

But just for you Saint, you can submit an image that is 1x3. Good luck!

well her and I are both taking on former champions, so i'm rooting for her

go underdogs!!!

<3
    Yeah...underdogs

Last edited by Saint Benedetta; 03-20-2008 at 08:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lefteyewilly
    devil, to the fact that you put 20 stocks into your image and no comments is the reason why you won. what you put into it doesn't 'really' matter. What you did was put together a complete image, and the it shows. personally when i saw it, i immediately tried figuring out what stock you used, and when i saw your blending into the water, i was very impressed.

TBH, 3 years of using PS doesn't matter either. If you have a great artist's eye and can figure out the basic tools, it doesnt' matter how long you've used the software. It's all about the concept and execution. Either PS can make you an artist, or PS can make an artist better.
    Busy days here, so I'm just getting to respond to this now.

I definitely get what you're saying. I think a better way to say what I said would have been something like "I felt like my image could have been better, but I'm not completely sure how or what it was missing other than it was a bit too dark, and no one really said anything negative about it, so I'd appreciate feedback in that vein."

In regards to Photoshop, for me, the fact that I've used it for 3 years has an impact, but only because, just like playing an instrument, proficiency to me is when I can have an idea in my head, and what shows up on the canvas reflects it exactly. If I pick up my bass or my guitar, I judge my ability not just on technical proficiency, but on how accurately I can recreate the music in my head.

In the case of the software itself, in my opinion, just like any good tool (or powerful weapon, if you prefer), it takes skill to wield it effectively. I see some of the images you guys are creating, and I want nothing more than to know how you do it. Like, if I could sit there and watch as each image were executed, that would be a fantastic day for me.

So when I'm asking for suggestions, I guess what I'm literally asking for is something along the lines of "well, I liked so and so (or I didn't like so and so) and/but I would have done it this way, instead." I'm basically in search o those "Ah-HA! That's AWESOME." kind of discovery moments where something clicks in a new light.

In my image from the last round, there were things I didn't like about it, but I didn't know how to correct them, because I had achieved the effect the way I knew how, even though it didn't satisfy me.

I don't know. Does all that make sense? I feel like I'm rambling a bit, so I shall stop now.
    "If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, then it must logically be a finite improbability."

TDRI, I understand your rambling; and allow me to be honest here... you're sorta questioning what criteria people may have used in judging why your image was/was not voted for perhaps?

It's not a selfish inquiry at all; read the thread, it happens. As a fellow small robot lover - I like almost all toys - I had created a similar image a while back here... using two stocks for the city, one for the robot, one for the missile, one for the airplane, one for the sky, stars, four for explosion and custom contrails... an even a lens flare (much loathed, usually used now as a joke), and it was just an "ok" image in my book. Not drawing comparisons between your image and my own; just noticing that you had also put together your image from pieces here and there as well.

I threw that together quite quickly for a battle or something here at FK; not saying yours is less complex by no means, nor is it of lesser quality - honestly, it's not... I can see the usage of your stocks and your obvious ability.

3 years of Photoshop and I was taking the year off just to get better at layer masks and channel ops. So with that said, the amount of contrast in your image should have been much brighter, almost to parody the fact that some toy robots were really kicking that much ass. The reddish-orange overlay was a bit much, but it does add to the feeling that it's a lot of doom and gloom going on; however the robots just make me wish you had opened it up with brighter, more vibrant and more contrasting colors.

The text, the shadows, the fire, and the reflections are spot on... save that second fire reflection. Looks like it's been set off with a layer mask and hard light layer application mode - it's a bit too harsh and near pixelated.

This round due to my schedule, I didn't get a chance to vote... I would have chosen yours because I can see the technical side, I liked the humor... and oddly enough, I really like robots. So you get a nod for your Photoshop prowess easily. Just in the future, I think an image that could have put you over would have been one that doesn't seem as if it's overly dark because of over-editing and/or non-attention to details; which is not the case here.

Pertaining the skills to wield Photoshop, knowing the interface is just step one. The rest is just applying whatever is in your head and making it happen within the confines of the tool... which honestly Photoshop has very little. If I can think it, I usually can make it happen in Photoshop with enough time.

So I'll disregard your "3 years of Photoshop" usage and just say you're damn fine artist in my book. Feel free to disregard my above critique... it's only my opinion and mine is not above anybody else. I quite enjoyed seeing new styles and takes on things... TDRI, keep going dude. Keep going... I'm already impressed.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    So with that said, the amount of contrast in your image should have been much brighter, almost to parody the fact that some toy robots were really kicking that much ass. The reddish-orange overlay was a bit much, but it does add to the feeling that it's a lot of doom and gloom going on; however the robots just make me wish you had opened it up with brighter, more vibrant and more contrasting colors.
    Awesome, gerbs, this is exactly what I was asking for.

All of your other comments are on target, too. One thing I am always curious about is what has someone pick or not pick an image, not so much for winning, just for a sense of what people view as a good design (in the same way that I always want to know what a client did or didn't like about an image so I can get a feel for what works for people and what doesn't). Looking back at my posts, though, I realize I wasn't really willing to say it that way, so that was keen of you to pick out.

I like that killer robot image a lot, and I definitely see the similarity. I also, through comparison, can see the value of the higher contrast, compared to what I put together for the last round.

Also, just for future reference, I noticed your post was slightly apologetic in areas (like the part about ignoring your critique) and I just want to put out there that, at least if you're speaking to me (I can't speak for everyone on he board) feel free to say whatever there is to say. I won't take offense. I'm a fan of straight-shots.

Thanks for the reply. I'm starting to notice that, if I hang around here long enough, I think there's enough heavy talent here that I could improve my skills through osmosis alone. The past few years I wasn't confident enough to come back and battle, but I think I'm not only ready, but at a point where I finally fully see the value in it. Now time to roll up my sleeves and take a crack at my next image (since I seem to have an unexpected break on this project).
    "If, he thought to himself, such a machine is a virtual impossibility, then it must logically be a finite improbability."

Quote Originally Posted by TheDevilRidesIn
    The past few years I wasn't confident enough to come back and battle, but I think I'm not only ready, but at a point where I finally fully see the value in it. Now time to roll up my sleeves and take a crack at my next image...
    Great...so I'm up against pretty much the most psyched-up participant in MM history.

Please, somebody, calm the boy down before he pulls out something amazing and sends me packing.

Alright everyone....I'm going to make an executive decision here without community input...

Due to the Easter Holiday we're going to extend the deadline to TUESDAY March 25th at 11:59pm EST.

Hope that's not an issue with anyone, and if it is, take it up with me via PM.

I'm going to send PM's to participants just in case.
    Last edited by lefteyewilly; 03-21-2008 at 09:20 PM.

Good call.

Who died and made you mod?!? Oh... right... EVP. (RIP)

Man I was all tasted up to see the action on Monday...
    Last edited by sandyrivers; 03-21-2008 at 07:01 PM.

evp lives, he has a sniper rifle.. sandy i didnt know you were from india, i love your red dot.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

where dat foo been, then?

<3
    Nice.

Where's the images im hungry for more Images especially now that im sitting on the sidelines.
    "What do you call a mouse's Shadow in the second moon?"

are you serious? read the thread (~5 posts up)

<3
    Oh man, my head has been in the clouds these days...

6 hours and counting....