A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Shpongle Live

Shpongle Live

So Shpongle's 4th album is going to be released later this year along with a live concert in London. The concert will be October 31st- when I will be over there. This london abroad is just getting better and better. Hopefully my passport will be in within the next month and everything else can be confirmed.

I just hope that it is in an outsdie venue with no limit for tickets. This show will sell out in seconds. They have only done one other live show ever with everyone and that was in Japan years ago.

FK meetup at Shpongle
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I'm not trying to be offensive or anything, but I don't get it. Not the music per se...I actually don't really get that either...

Until this thread, I never even heard of 'Shpongle.' Without this thread, I probably never would have either.

With that said, what I really don't get though is the 'live show' concept of this genre of music and others like it. Every picture I see of these concerts is a buttload of people watching some dude (or a few) on stage clicking laptop buttons and triggering pre-recorded samples on stacks of synths. Maybe I am old, but I go to shows to see people play instruments, not push buttons.

Again, maybe I am getting old, so I am not supposed to get it, but I'd certainly be willing to listen.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 02-04-2008 at 09:27 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

That is why I love Shpongle. They actually perform on stage. I have been to a few shows where the opening act is just a guy and a laptop mixing realtime(still boring) But Simon and Raja the 2 main guys behind Shpnogle actually perform live with instruments and have people singing and other musicians with them. That is why I said the 2nd real live performance. They both have many side projects including Younger Brother which is just Simon and he will do a "DJ" set of some Shpongle tracks but that is lame. Seeing them live and really performing will be a treat.

Youtube some videos of the japan show and you will see what I mean. Raja goes nuts and interacts with the crowd a lot.

And even if all the above wasn't true and they were just another lame DJ live show. Their music is amazing and perfect background music to chill out to. My favorite group of that Genre. If you can even group them together with other people. I think they are in a league of their own. Kinda like how Primus has their own Genre listing.

Slow beginning but this video is decent(can skip to like 3 minutes in). http://youtube.com/watch?v=o1jPeG1LlaQ&feature=related
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 02-04-2008 at 10:05 PM.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Wow. Never in a million years would I think to see a thread about Shpongle here. I've never personally seen them live - but they are absolutely some of the most incredibly musically talented people.

hanratty21, yeah, you just don't get it. In terms of musical diversity - they combine very different styles of music from salsa to rock to classical with a hot beat behind it. Lots more going on behind the scenes then buttonpushing. Even spinning records is an art, talented, you must be.

HR, I'm with you. I've tried... but I'm not impressed with the music at all. Guess after catching Bill Laswell, other mashup artists (I admit, this isn't mashup, but Freelance Hellraiser really reminds me of this genre, as does some "sofa music" and other live performances by even trip-hop and eclectic mixed up music) and some true turntablists... this doesn't hit me right. Too "canned".

Sorta like very bad Daft Punk or perhaps better Deep Space Mayonnaise.

I'd rather see Boards of Canada live... but that's just me.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Did you just say Shpongle is a bad Daft Punk?!

As much as boards of Canada would be awesome to see live- there isn't enough upbeat songs to go and see a show for compared to Shpongle. They are definitely a mellow chill out music. I was just listening to them while I went to sleep last night actually.

btw- have BOC ever even done a live show?

Yep. That's what I said.

And BoC has played live shows... Wouter (user: Wouter999) caught them in Holland... and rubbed it into my face the entire damn time.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

I am looking for shows to check while I am there. Hopefully August till December. So if anyone hears of any good shows surrounding London let me know. I kind of want to check out a Hallucinogen show along with a Younger Brother w/ a Shpongle DJ set show. DJ Shadow is playing a show in March but I won't be there yet sadly

Well, different music for different people. You just definitely can't say that shpongle is button pushing music though

I caught DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist last weekend in NYC at the Hard Sell Tour. They played exclusively on 7" and mixed some of the craziest stuff I've ever heard. Stairway to Heaven and Gilligans Island with visuals behind it that matched up perfectly. Quite talented.

If you don't like Shpongle - you might be listening to the wrong stuff, theres tons of variety. Give "dorset perception" a listen and tell me what you think, if you have any interest left.

NYC is JUST far enough away where I can't just hop in the car and drive to the good shows that go through there. 5 hr drive from here.

Deathclock RUUUULES! \m/

.... Wait, wrong thread. Continue.

Did you come back drunk?

Best Friends Forever azphotoguy's Avatar
    Hey WB... (first off, my tounge is firmly planted in my cheek) I have never heard of this group and am glad that I did not see them in the 70's. Reminds me of a LSD and Black light trip!!! I watched the entire video and could not help but to keep thinking of Burt and Ernie singing and dancing on stage. Glad that you like this group, and since I am older I must agree with the age thing, somebody has to like them. Thanks for sharing the video.

On sale now.

£23.23 for main floor. I need to get a hold of a few people and buy them now before it spreads and sells out...

3 tickets waiting for me at the venue !
    Last edited by WannaBe_80z; 02-23-2008 at 05:45 PM.