dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [WIP] Ze-Vandax - Space shooter

[WIP] Ze-Vandax - Space shooter

This game is still in early development. The first level isn't even complete yet but I just wanted to see how people think it plays. I know there is a long way to go but any feedback on how it plays would be appreciated.

The most obvious improvement so far (apart from finishing the level/game) is to make the enemy shots stand out more, possibly making a neon/glow effect but I need to discuss that with the artist involved. And to mention art a lot of the graphics are just place holders, including the 'death scene'.

http://www.mandissected.co.uk/ze-vandax.htm

its a good start, the only thing that gets to me is the music loop, make it seamless or take it out. Would like to hear sound effects instead.

Also, your explosion animations look off, they look topLeft aligned and not center aligned to the enemy ships.

keep it up
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Thanks for the explosions spot, I'll set that right now. I did have sound effects but they were playing late so I have taken them out until I have sorted that problem.

I will talk to the artist about the sound (which he chose) but in the mean time if it annoys you just press 's' to turn it off.

Student
    for my taste a little bit slow and wanky- perhaps tighter controls like quicker turn responses. Same somewhat for the projectiles they kinda felt like a water bubble gun to slow and soft- perhaps faster and blurred in the length of the moving vector so that it looks faster (faked motion blur).

nice graphics on the other hand,- are those your drawings?

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    nice graphics on the other hand,- are those your drawings?
    No, the graphics are done by an artist.

Thanks for the comment on the motion and projectiles, I will work to improve that.

Developer
    I think this game can go far. I really like the graphics.

Even though you get mouse movement you can't go as fast as you move the mouse (which makes sense). However this kinda feels weird - it'd be better to enable control from the keyboard where a restricted movement speed would feel right.

Also, you should make the bullets more visible (brighter maybe?) - some of the smaller bullets are very similar to the stars behind.

Will you have a health bar or score for the player?
    now known as dVyper