A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Easy Question

Easy Question

I have 4 webpages that are individual .swf files. They all have menu buttons that allow you to cycle thru like I a normal website. The problem is now that I have this simple site. How do I establish one as the homepage that my server brings up as my site homepage.

I know that this has to do with establishing an index file, but I don't know the particulars

You are right. All you have to do is publish the "home" page as index.html. Now a further step could be to incorporate all the four pages into one SWF with each page in a frame.

What would be the benefit of each page on it's own, frame in one .swf?

It is easier to manage one file and when you load the one file for your site instead of one .swf for each page. It will save time for the user to load just one file that encompasses all pages.

So all need to do is to covert, my .swf to a MC symbol, by selecting all and hitting F8.

Then I'll need to put a stop() on the frame, or on the MC, or both? So that the timeline stops.

(each page .swf has a transition at the begginning and end, so if I'm reasoning right I will need to use GotoAndPlay statements??)

Is this what you are getting at?

Sorry I, m slow, lol

I am not sure about converting them to SWF's as that really takes the convenience of having all the .fla in one file. As I am fairly new to Flash as well some of the nuiances are still to be found but here's what I'd do (others, if you have more input, that'd be great):

• Create a new .fla file.
    • Create 4 key-frames (one for each page).
    • Name the frames you just created (yes you will need to use a gotoandplay()) for navigation purposes
    • Copy and paste the information that you have in each of your four individual .fla files into the frames created above
    • Again you are right, you need to put a stop() in the actionscript in each frame to stop it from playing the next frame

That should about do it. Then you will have all information in one .fla file for ease of editing and then loading for the end user.

thanks