A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Super Mario Galaxy tribute :)

[WIP] Super Mario Galaxy tribute :)

I loved Mario Galaxy's engine, and wondered why nobody had tried to copy it in Flash. Decided to plug that hole myself:

http://birchlabs.co.uk/GravityProblem.swf

It's slow (in the browser), but it's fun. Lots of optimizations I can make, and I'll be porting it to AS3 as soon as I get my Windows VM to run it in (3 more days!)

And for anyone who thinks the gravity is 'wrong' (ie, the angle you get pulled in when walking at the place where the tomato's stem connects to its fruit), it probably is, but I'd still like to say that this is entirely intentional. I wanted you to be able to walk up the stem. You can see the gravity system here:

Here I'm using a line as my centre of gravity, rather than a single point. The tomato's 'gravity line' starts at the top of its stem, extending to the middle of its fruit.

I intend to make the levels very abstract. Expect excessive use of fruit (in case anyone's wondering, all the photos used are ones I took myself as part of my art coursework).

Thoughts?
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

It seems weird the angle he's facing when walking from the stem to the fruit. But other than that I think you did a pretty good job. I think that I could help you with the as3 part if you're interested at all.

thats cool, reckon you could make something really fun with that engine.

nice demo.

t seems weird the angle he's facing when walking from the stem to the fruit
    yeah i agree. maybe set a threshold for the center of gravity where it jumps to/from the center of the circle when it reaches/leaves the circle.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Very neat demo.

Good luck with it.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    AWESOME! If you could get the control to mimic that of Mario I'll give you my Gold Star!

wondered why nobody had tried to copy it in Flash.
    http://www.nitrome.com/games/spacehopper/
    http://jayisgames.com/archives/2007/...ace_kitteh.php

Not that I want to make you feel bad, but I do think it's fair to let you know. I'm quite sure those are not the only two.

Nice demo though.

Walnoot, both of these games are a world away from my engine. They don't support using a 'gravity line' system, or using planetoids that are anything other than circles. I like to think mine's a lot closer to Mario Galaxy

As for the gravity... I'm not changing it, it's doing exactly what it's meant to do. If he stood 'correctly' all the way around the fruit of the tomato, how would he walk up the stem?

Maybe I should add a little arrow showing you the pull of gravity, to give you warning of where you're about to be moving to.
    You know you want to.

Ah, I was going to make something, like this, however I plan on tackling it a little differently. Your solution is quite elegant though. Nice work.
    Christopher Rhodes
    squarecircleco.

Never played Mario Galaxy but that seems like a fun base for something

Quote Originally Posted by VENGEANCE MX
    As for the gravity... I'm not changing it, it's doing exactly what it's meant to do. If he stood 'correctly' all the way around the fruit of the tomato, how would he walk up the stem?
    You could make the hero always stand straight up from the surface. On the circles he would be on the line to the center of circle, on lines he would be 90 degrees from the line. Difference from your system would only be on the half of large circle (tomato) toward the line (stem) where you currently make hero stand based on invisible gravity line. I believe this would still allow to walk on the line from circle, yes there would be sudden change in gravity but its what most people are used to.

ditto. seriously it will make a big difference.

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Actually that would not be a "Mario Galaxy" tribute, the technique is called "spherical world" and it was used in Ratchet & clank and then on Psychonauts first (if you ask me , it probably was used in Psychonauts first but Ratchet and Clank was released earlier).

btw if you havent, you should try Psychonauts I think theres a demo available at Steam, and is awesome, probably the best platform game ever. Mario Galaxy is fun, but the history is rubbish. Psychonauts history is movie material. (Tim Burton movie at least)

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Mario Galaxy is fun, but the history is rubbish.
    It sounds like you haven't actually played Mario Galaxy! There's actually a very great story for the game presented in a storybook format with excellent illustrations. It's completely optional so you don't have to read it, but it's a pleasant surprise.

Trust me on this one, Psychonauts has a way more complex history. Better yet, grab it and see for yourself.

Anyway, my point is Mario Galaxy didnt invented the Gravity pull in the map technique, therefore it shouldnt be called mario tribute unless you are actually using the same history. (and vengeance mx is not he is using some pretty nice photos instead )
    Last edited by AzraelKans; 01-18-2008 at 06:46 PM.

Oooops! I cant believe I forgot to mention it.

Nice engine vengeance MX, looking forward to seing a game demo. You should try adjusting the gravity pull on the air so you could jump off a planet surface and then land on the other. (thats the tricky part).

The way I see it, there are two systems of gravity that people could be expecting here:

A: always drawn toward the biggest centre of mass, in this case the middle of the fruit
    B: following the surface of the bitmap

Problems with A:
    - Can't walk up the stem of the fruit in this case, and in fact it pretty much restricts us to near-spherical shapes for all our planetoids.

Problems with B:
    - You'd be able to walk up any wall anywhere
    - There's actually no elegant way to do this

The method I chose allows for interesting planet shapes (whilst also having walls, ceilings, floors and platforms), and takes minimal effort on the coding end. Disadvantages? You can sometimes look like you're pointing the wrong way. I'm already used to it, though.

I will be tweaking things. Jumping will become more floaty, you'll definitely be able to jump from planetoid to planetoid. The engine doesn't currently support ceiling collisions, which causes problems in a couple of places. However, this is a very simple issue to address.

AzraelKans, I've never heard of Psychonauts and never played Ratchet & Clank, so is still a tribute to Mario Galaxy.
    You know you want to.

Student
    interesting approach- inspires somehow- guess I would have done it even way different- as I am sure that in the original mario galaxy all of that stuff is driven through the polygon face normal

and by a force multiplier by each planet to determine wich force is stronger

so I would have propably done it via vector slopes and the normals

yeah. i agree.
    i did this example which kinna does the same thing only using a tile based system where each tile has a center of gravity (or normal). i didn't bother with the land hit testing coz i don't have time.
    just keep the mouse pointer within the white area and you will see the sprite rotate to the correct orientation to the shape.
    http://img162.imageshack.us/my.php?image=v1uc0.swf

Lovely concept! Hope you'll actually make a game out of this.

As tonypa and blinkok pointed out, you only need to change the characters rotation to the surface not to the gravity. This doesn't mean you need to change your nodesystem of gravity, it means you need to extend your hittest function and probably your way of describing an object. Just give every line and point a distance parameter to define a perimeter.