A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I am buying a Mac

Why I am buying a Mac

About a week or so ago, I turned my laptop on only to notice that my wireless card isn't working. I flip the switch, nothing happens. I check device manager to see what is up, and the card isn't even listen. BIOS upgrade/downgrade, Driver upgrade/downgrade, Windows reinstall, nothing works. Through some research, I find out that it is a common issue with this laptop (A 5 month old HP DV6338se). I contact HP support, I insist that I know what I am doing and have tried everything and that it is a hardware issue, they insist on listing the steps anyway. I finally get them to agree to send the box.....they won't ship to Germany. I have to get in contact with HP Support in Germany, which was difficult because my German is awful. They tell me it will take 3 weeks to replace the Motherboard and Network card.........plus shipping time. So around a month, they expect me to be without a computer for a month while I am in school. Around the same time that my card went, a girl here dropped her MacBook down the stairs and damaged it, she sent one email, and yesterday her completely replaced MacBook shows up.

I hate HP, I hate PC.

That is why I am buying a Mac as soon as the new Pro's are announced.

from my experience and from what i hear.... hp is the worst laptop u can buy... i myself have a toshiba which is OK. but i do regret not buying a macbook cuz it looks better and just seems like the way of the future.... there are some stuff that suck about macs... like msn/pokerstars but other than that i think its good.

also, why would mac replace a notebook that was dropped down the stairs? i know if i did that with toshiba they wouldnt replace it at all cuz its not normal wear and tare.
    * I could be banned at any time... [/evp]

It's more an HP problem than a PC problem you have there. My Dell cust service was top notch. Still, I can see why you're pis sed.

Mate all computer companies are the same... I've been a mac head for years now.. and they do go wrong... My airport card has just gone on my macbook ... still under warranty so all is good..

I can even remember being on the phone to apple care a couple of years ago when my Hard drive was masking making very strange scratching noises... they STILL made me go though all the checks... I kept on saying that their is no button on a mac saying turn funny noise off...

^ Was about to share a similar story. It can all happen to any machine. Even a Mac.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    ^ Was about to share a similar story. It can all happen to any machine. Even a Mac.

I know that, I am not mad about the fact that my laptop is malfunctioning (well I am, but not THAT mad) I am mad that nothing that is reasonable is being done to fix it.

did you try updating the bios like to told you to in your other thread about this?

and what do you want them to do replace it for you in person? Have someone drive to where you are i germany and do it in person? that sounds reasonable to me.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

Quote Originally Posted by silverx2
    did you try updating the bios like to told you to in your other thread about this?

and what do you want them to do replace it for you in person? Have someone drive to where you are i germany and do it in person? that sounds reasonable to me.

Yes, if you read my original post, I said I did that. I don't expect them to replace it in person, but I think having to wait a month is a bit ridiculous.

http://www.apple.com/macbookair

You could drop that down the stairs and it would gently float down and land about the same time it takes you to walk down

My favourite part of reformatting a Windows computer is when you have to download the drivers for the network card. But you can't, because you haven't got internet access, because you need the drivers.

There's new Pros on their way?

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I have an opposite kind of story with HP. My power adapter for my laptop shorted out. I called HP and even though my laptop was out of warranty by only a month they overnighted me a new adapter. I thought that was excellent service.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    My power adapter for my laptop shorted out. I thought that was excellent service.
    I'm just messin'
    "Wah wah wah Dorothy Parker wah wah wah" - hanratty21

I want a mac pro just because I can install windows on it and then still have all my little programs I use almost daily and possibly do some old school gaming on it and then have OS X of Final Cut and some other random mac only apps.

Apple needs to come out with a sub $1000 laptop by fall so I can get it before I cross the pond.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Quote Originally Posted by gshock
    from my experience.... hp is the worst laptop u can buy...
    Have you owned an HP laptop?

Mac products can suck too. Their customer svce is top notch though. I have a 45 day old MBP, which needed a replacement keyboard and trackpad (just died, kids...no dropping, etc.) Apple is not this magic Willy Wonka-esque wonder factory. They have production issues as well. They handle them a lot better from a customer standpoint, albeit with a $350 fee for AppleCare

So, in the end...pick your poison.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 02-13-2008 at 01:24 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Don't be too sure about that.

Parallels creates a virtual hard drive. Virtual harddrives be they VMware or by anyother name are ,,,virtual. Many software vendors (Including the company I work for) require that the programs be installed to the permanent hardrive in a pure ms environment. When a virtual hard drive is used it invalidates your license agreement. Also the software will read a different harddrive if you say switch between parallels and boot in pure win such as bootcamp. When the software sees a hard drive number switch it will cease to function.

Why apple can't simply use the permanent hard drive when running parallels for accessing software is beyond me.

Parallels is a completely different program then boot camp. Boot camp is a separate partition that windows is installed on permanently.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I use parallels, vmware and boot camp to access the same windows partition. Not run into any problems yet. I would advise doing the normal Windows updates (security, etc.) when in native boot, but other than that, I've had no problems.

oh...and back that sh*t up, y'all!
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Wannabe: Hackintosh

That is the 2nd or 3rd time you have told me to do this.

Windows on Mac hardware > OSX hacked to be on pc components. It's also illegal.

HP are great!
    Not only are they're computers priced much fairer than dells but the customer support isn't half bad either.
    I was down town yesterday and looking at a new computer and there was a HP in there with:
    -Vista Home Premium
    -Quad Core Processor
    -3GB Ram
    -22" Wide Monitor
    And a Dell (since when could you get em in shops?):
    -Vista Home Premium
    -Dual Core Processor
    -2GB Ram
    -21" Monitor.
    The dell was £1,200 but the HP was only £800! What is it about dell that makes them so much more expensive?

As for macs, your kinda getting a PC with anything non-media kicked out for an extra grand, on the upside they are very fast and efficient at what they do and one is (unfortunatly) on my shopping list for 2nd/3rd quarter this year.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."