A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [ Pimp ] Loved Up

Hybrid View

[ Pimp ] Loved Up

Feel the love,

http://www.gimme5games.com/index.jsp?id=lovedup

Happy Valentine's day gang, I hope the amount you wasted on Roses ( £10.50 for 3 for me ) get's you in the other halfs good books.

Enjoy,

Squize.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Squize...you need to stop eating mushrooms...now!

I can hear they actually used your voice for the "ready, setty, goooo" in the beginning

A li'l too slow IMO but I'm a hater since Valentine's day will be spent alone with the dog
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

This is what is needed now.
    Roses not bullets.
    <signature removed by admin>

Professional Flash Developer
    Sweet game! Very much a Rainbow Islands feel to it. I love the polish you guys always put into your games. Who did the piano music? It fits the game really well.

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    Disgustingly cute. haha

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Who did the voice? It wasn't my wife this time.

Anyhow, very, very, very cute game...

Thanks for the replies guys.

phreax, it's considered, rather than slow
    ( It's much smoother in IE than FF if that's any help )

Eager, sometimes you just need to spread the love mate.

Cheers Jeff. Rainbow Islands was a huge inspiration, as it's pretty clear to see. We wanted the pushing the hearts into place dynamic more to the forefront, but we really were pushed for time with this one ( The blog has the on-going saga ).

Bryce, yeah it's camper than a bag full of rainbows I don't think it's going to go down well with the newground kids. Maybe if your girl was a zombie. With a shotgun.

Hey dad, the voice was the designers little girl, and when we first put the speech in we were all like "wow, that's perfect".
    The music is done by a guy called Matt who does the Phantom Mansion tunes and the music for my other platformer ( Which will be live soon ).

Thanks again for taking the time to play everyone, hopefully for those of you home alone it's put a smile on your face, and for everyone whose loved up, well it's kinda cool to like cheese now and again ( You know it ).

Squize.

Developer
    Completed the game slightly happier (yes im all alone today). Very nice!
    now known as dVyper

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Nice one Squize, very cute .

Ali

nice one

I'm hungry for chocolate now
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

Ermm...yes lovely fantastic wonderful..you might want to consider something a little more macho for your next project. How did you get Frodo Baggins to do your audio?

Thanks for the continued feedback.

I'm really happy with the game. I think the sickly cuteness may well have put a lot of people off, and I'm not a huge lover of vector art as a rule, but it all fits together well and I just like the way it plays ( This isn't a hard sell, I'm just being honest. If I do something that I'm not overly fond of I do say too ).

Kris, as for more "macho", I'm panting to do something with some balls to it, but I can only do what I'm offered atm, which happens to have been a pretty long line of tame games. There is a zombie blood fest in me, it's just having the outlet to do it

Squize.

Dude I'm only teasing ya. I know the best Uridium clone bar none will one day be spawned from your fingertips.

One day mate, one perfect day.

And don't worry, I didn't take your comments in a bad way, I really need to write something where something shoots something else to kill it.
    I think Polarity was the last thing of that ilk I've done, and that was over a year ago now.

Squize.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Fun, smooth game as usual. Played about 3 or 4 levels, but even though it's Friday, Valentine's Day isn't quit over for us here.

Oh and just to one up you... I paid $71.75 USD for the Diamond Scarlet Boquet at the local flower shop (was 3 dozen rozes in a crystal vase ), then consider the dinner at the 2nd most expensive place in town, a movie afterwards... gah, everytime I think about Valentine's day there's always this huge sucking sound emanating from my wallet.

Anyhow, good job. :P
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    Im going to get diabetes, too much sugar, lol

Very nice game !!!

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    The game is great, I loved the mechanic to trap enemies with hearts, I tried to use that as a weapon or to throw them in a botommless pit, but no luck.

I hate to say it though, the music although good was extremely repetitive. And is fairly slow in FF.

Great job though. very good effort.

Wow Marc, you went above and beyond mate.
    You need to move in together, then everything becomes more of a token gesture

The levels do get nice and tricky later on, a lot more having to line the hearts up to get to where you want to be.

scheletro, just run that sugar off man, you'll be fine

Azrael thanks for playing mate. I've found under FF on that page it's a bit too slow too, the ads on there don't help.
    I must admit though, the music's never really bugged me, and I've played it quite a bit with listening to the sound. I guess we all have different thresholds for music.

I'm glad the love is still being felt around here

Squize.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Hey Squize, looking at all the comments, I figured something was wrong on my end, since it played extremely slow here! I tried it IE and of course the tempo was smooth an nice! It gave a much better game experience! So kudos to you and shame on FireFox!
    Do you handle the game time-based or do you just rely on the framerate?
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Yeah, it feels kinda dirty using IE now doesn't it. But the performance difference is vast.

I've reached that point where I'm not overly bothered by performance in FF. I imagine 90% of people here use it, but FF is still the minority. The target audience for games is usually IE.
    So if I go down the FF route it would mean making the scrolling area smaller which just impacts on the whole game ( All the sprites would have to be smaller, which impacts on the character of the game etc. ), for what, 18% of users ?

It's not as if I'm wasteful with resources, the code's quite lean and there's not a lot of alpha or blendmodes going on. If I'd gone mental with them then fair enough if it ran like a pig, it'd be my fault for just not caring about how it runs in the browser.

With using FF I did test it in under that, and with just a simple html holding page for it, it's still pretty smooth, it's just when it's on a screen full of other crap all taking resources it just slows and slows.

So yeah, I'm building for IE now, and have been for a while. That's why a lot of my recent stuff has been sluggish, it's 'cause we all use FF.

As to frame / time based, it's all frame based. I'd did a couple of time based games years ago just to see if I could ( X and JBJ Sisters ) and I just don't like the movement, it never feels quite right for me.

Cheers for trying it again though mate

Squize.