A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Sound Quality Help

Sound Quality Help

So, I know virtually nothing about sound in flash apart from the simple how-to.

My main problem that I'm facing off against right now is that the quality of my sound inexplicably drops when played in the .swf

I realize there's probably no short answer to this, so would any of you mind directing me to a few good tutorials about some of the better ways to deal with sound in Flash? It would be a big help.

I am willing to resort to bribes.

..not really.

File >> Publish Settings... >> Flash >> Audio >> Set... >>

Leave it to mp3, but play around with Bit Rate and Quality settings. Higher bitrate = better quality and larger filesize.

You can also set those for each sound individually, right click on sound in library >> Export Settings. If the Compression is Default, that sound will use settings from main Publish Settings.

too slow. lol
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Just to add to an already completed thread,

"You can also set those for each sound individually"

That's the way to go. Perhaps I'm just overly anal, but I always set the bitrate for each sound. Common sounds ( ie, ones the player triggers ) should have a higher bitrate than others. Speech and music should also be a bit higher too.

Squize.

I've always thought flash is awful with sound. When I started off it used to take me ages longer than it should have to sync audio with actions. AS can't even control sound pitch which is annoying for combo games. Does that mean PopCap use different sounds for each combo! :O
    I'm hoping AS3 has more control over sounds but I've only scraped the very surface so far, sound isn't very high on my agenda.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Thanks everyone, it's always nice to get a great answer on the first post