A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] Ugly or No Fonts showing in IE (Nightmare difference btwn mac & pc)

resolved [RESOLVED] Ugly or No Fonts showing in IE (Nightmare difference btwn mac & pc)

Hi,

I am using an intel mac, and usually check my sites on both mac & pc platforms (using parallel).

My recent issues are none of the text showed up (in my SWF) when viewing the site in internet explorer on the PC (firefox PC was fine and all mac browsers were fine). The font was Time New Roman, and after a long time i discovered if i changed the font to 'use device fonts' - it would show in the PC. However, doing so renders a really ugly computer like rendition of Times New Roman on the PC, and so then i tried breaking all the text apart to create an image of the text, but once the final letters broke apart, the font seemed to disappear in my FLA, so i couldn't do that.

This is soo frustrating. I thought using flash i overcame the issue of stuff (& font) looking different between mac & pc.
    I obviously want the text in my swf to look the same across platform. How can i achieve this? I don't recall having these problems when i was using MX2004.
    Does this have something to do with it?

Many thanks in advance of some help from those in the know....

cheska

I'm using flash CS3. (Do let me know if there's anything els eyou need to know).
    Last edited by Cheska; 02-21-2008 at 12:08 PM.

I figured out what the issue was.

Internet explorer needed to upgrade to flash player 9, and also quit the browser first and then reopen. After that all the font/text showed fine. So i changed all the font in my FLA back to 'anti-alias for readability'.

You would think that IE woudl do this automatically (ask the user to upgrade) and also inform of the necesity to quit and reopen browser...

anyway, i'l leave this post here in case anyone else encounters the same type of problem.