A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Help] External Tilesets.

A Flashkit User

[Help] External Tilesets.

Hello everyone.

I have recently been interested in Pixel Art and and pixel games. I know there are many tilebased tutorials out there for Flash but I have not been able to find any answers to actually using premade Tilesets.

For example, I would create an image that consisted of a grid of images acting as the tiles and through Flash, create a map/image by externally taking that tileset and cutting it up. I would think this would be better then creating each individual tile and importing them into Flash as seperate images.

I'm pretty sure it's possible, I've seen various tilessets used in Flashgames. As far as I could learn from trying to find answers, I know I would have to use something called bitmapData.

Can someone link me to a tutorial on how to do this? I'm using CS3 by the way. Thanks.

-Ostil-

Student
    possible with Flash 8+ and bitmap data. You basicly load the tileset- slice it up and put each slice into an array container as bitmapdata.
    Then when rendering the map you can either use copyPixels() or attachBitmap() into movieClips to render the screen out of the tiles.

some time ago I made this little demo in Flash8
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...5&postcount=53
    you can pick some code snippets out of it

I didn't know you had written that tutorial in AS3 as well tonypa.

A Flashkit User
    Thanks for the replies!

@renderhjs:
    That's pretty much what I was looking for. Your examples will be very helpful, thanks for the information.

@tonypa:
    Great tutorial! You must have just wrote that recently because I was searching through your site when I was looking for answers but couldn't find that AS3 version. Your tutorial will be really helpful, thanks.

-Ostil-

crossconscious
    If you're using AS3, I'm working on a new scrolling engine (again!), which, amongst others, has a BitmapTileLayer layer type. This used a bitmapdata object, which you can load externally before creating the layer. It doesn't have loading functionality itself though. I can send you a copy if you'd like.