A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Image question

When I import an image into KoolMoves, do the respective advantages of the various formats remain intact once the image is part of the movie? In other words, if I decide the best way to do an image is as a png instead of a jpg because it has less lossiness or something (I'm making this up), would it still be true once the image is imported? Or does KoolMoves convert imported images to something else once they're imported so that any advantages tied strictly to file type would be lost?

Kool Moves exports all images as jpg I think. Bob may be able to tell you more.

Super Moderator
    Png, tif, pcx, jpg imports and fills are all imported as is into a Microsoft bitmap structure. If you converted png, tif, pcx, jpg into a bmp and imported it you would get the effect. Everything is exported as jpeg in the swf.

I want to make sure I understand what happens, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question.

When KoolMoves exports the image as a jpg, is there additional compression and/or loss of quality going on? Say I create an image in Paint Shop Pro and export it as a jpg with a 50% compression factor. Does KoolMoves pile any additional compression on top of that once it exports the jpg as part of the swf? And, if so, do I need to take that into account on the front end and perhaps not compress the file as much before exporting to KoolMoves?

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    I would think that the compression multiplies in some way. I suggest you output from your image editing software at a very high quality factor and control the compression at the KoolMoves level.

The defualt is 50% if you need better quality bitmaps then up it if not (you want more optimization ) then lower the quality. You shouldn't notice much difference between 85-95 % and with most images you won't notice a difference unless you go down to 40%.