A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [show]Axyl:Cetrifugal Force

[show]Axyl:Cetrifugal Force

http://www.allgamesallfree.com/games1114-axyl.html
    This is my new game. Its predecesor, axyl, was...rather simple and kind of stupid. I had deleted the game and moved on when somebody mentioned to me that it was actually fun and he missed it. so, i completely rebuilt it with a totally new gameplay approach. The only reason its still called axyl is because i couldn't think of any other name.
    comments/crits please!

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Ha ha, well, I don't think this one's stupid! It's a different take on a couple of game mechanics and I think it does what it should! Some improved graphics and you are there
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

When you know are. Son of Bryce's Avatar
    It's an interesting game mechanic. I found it too frustrating to really enjoy though. The speed that you fall and rise is too dramatic, end up dying too quickly for my liking. And there's bugs, I die when I don't hit anything.

You need to allow time for the player to get used to the controls before dying, so maybe some starter level where everything doesn't kill you instantly then building it up.

well, the bug you are talking about isn't actually a bug, but rather, the timer running out. i thought i had mentioned the timer in the controls option. i'll get everything right some day lol. on the speed issues, i think i've got a problem with that. the spikes around the player are all drawn at run time and because there are so many of them, it decreases the frame rate, dramatically. the computer i built this game on is very old and it ran the game alot slower. i'll go back and add warnings for the timer and try to stabalize the movement

I think there's some kind of font problem because none of the in game dynamic text shows up for me. I see "Lives:", "Time:", etc. but no actual number.

http://www.geocities.com/vtsells/axyl.html
    this is the new testing site. i changed the friction a little bit and i think that solved the movement issue.
    as for the font problem. i have no idea why it would do that. the only thing i can think of that might help would be if i embedded the characters needed?

The text works fine on the new version. The changes you've made make it a lot more playable, almost like night and day. I actually like the gameplay now, made it to stage 10.

It could still use polish. I'm not digging how much time you have at the beginning. Maybe longer time for the earlier stages so you can get into the flow. I feel like I'm being cheated when my ship blows up for no reason and I just started playing.

Add in power-ups. I assumed the things you collected gave me more time. If you want to leave it that way, add in power-ups that increase time that appear randomly. Maybe include a shield power up, good for one hit or maybe it lasts for a limited time.

More graphical details could be nice. The background changing colors for different levels. A thruster on the ship with a particle smoke trail.

Maybe the ring of out spikes starts out farther a way and shrinks in as you go through stages.

glad to hear the text is fixed. great ideas as well. will add when i get the time

ok. added 3 powerups and a highscore board. the power ups include time bonuses, a shield that lasts for 1 hit, and a power up that slows down the spikes. also added particle trails

I got to level 11. By level 9 the game had slowed down a LOT. By 11 is was unplayable. I'm not sure what the culprit is.

I'm running 1.7Ghz, 256mb ram.

It is a rather fun game. I'm not to thrilled with the graphics, but they get the job done.

hmm, some one else had a similar problem, he said it was probably his fault though. i'll run some tests.
    about the graphics...i'm nowhere near competent in that area so i did the best i could lol

found bug, fixed. also, i did a complete graphical overhaul, so i think this game is just about finished now then