A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: CRAP! As3 vs mProjector; just trying to make a widget!

Angry CRAP! As3 vs mProjector; just trying to make a widget!

k, let's be honest, if you've read my two previous posts, i'm stumbling through this project with as much agility and know-how as a drunk chimpanzee. although i have learned A LOT through this project. I must say i know at least double what i knew when i started- and a BIG thanks to this forum. I've used it for a lot of searching and retruned a lot of answers. so thanks!

k, ass kissing aside, i'm in abit of a bind. i'm making a widget for the desktop. in it's MOST simpliest form, it's a ball that bounces around your screen. you pick it up and throw it; it bounces until it comes to rest.

i was going to use mProjector to compile my flash file into a widget version of itself however mProjector hasn't caught up to AS3- only does AS2. well crap, that's means i can either find an AS3 solution or go back and do this whole thing again is AS2 (which i know less of and this project is more then just the ball, so there'd be a lot to redo).

so this is what i need to problem solve:

it needs to be a widget and has to have a clear background

regardless of what i set the stage to in the fla file, i need the boundries of the "stage" to be that of the screen size in widget form (because we want the ball to bounce around the desktop). i can use Capabilities.screenResolutionX and Capabilities.screenResolutionY to set my variables in my file. (and maybe if the widget has a clear back ground and there is no visible stage, this won't matter.

thoughts? other programs to use beside mProjector? can i just do all of this in AS3?

thanks a million in advance!
    `shields

Why not AIR?

Quote Originally Posted by blanius
    Why not AIR?
    because i'm just that deep in the well of ignorance to be familar with Air, lol!

thanks for the tip. i'll check it out right now.

does AIR require the user to also have AIR to run the widget?

and AIR aside, what are my other options?

thanks!

Yes there is an AIR runtime that must be installed for the first AIR app. on a machine.

You could look at Northcode

i will- thanks

Developer
    I always though northcode was only as2. I havent looked at northcode for a while - its nice to see they've made the essential update.
    Last edited by Cortana; 03-06-2008 at 05:30 PM.
    now known as dVyper