dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The Olympics Stole My Game

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Squize
    "Play this game, hope you enjoy it, as it's exactly what you're getting"

Goddamn i wish I was allowed to talk to clients like that. My life would be so much easier.

I find if you say things like that naked they're a lot more accepting.

Squize.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    I have to keep my clothes on these days. After the last incident the judge says I'm on my last warning, and I'm not allowed within 100 feet of ANY celebrity chef.

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    I just thought I'd share a bit of a story to let you know word is getting around. Today at college in my IT Ethics & Law class, we were talking about unethical acts in the IT industry and someone (not me, I swear) blurted out, "Yeah, and even the Olympics is stealing games now!". That person is not on these forums, but read about the incident over at digg. I'm impressed that word travels so fast, and it's a good thing from the web-game community.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Game Player - Developer scheletro's Avatar
    That make angry enybody here, is very sad to keep finding games that are been stolen

I have a client that is asking me for games, I made 10 differnt ones, I check out his site, the first 4 games where stolen form different games around the net, I told him to be careful cause those games were decompiled, but he didnt do anything because those games are generating hundreds of visits

Although I warned him they prefer to keep the games there, that makes me angry but what can I do?

The guys sell very cheap stolen games, thats way is very hard for me to have new clients, too many people steal games to sell

"I love to make them as I love to play them"

Hell... with frequent access to heaven ;)
    Not to mention here:

Joystiq just got this history too, I think we can safely call this mainstream now, anytime now this will be in the morning news

edit: I didnt knew that was digged first, sorry overreacted
    Last edited by AzraelKans; 03-12-2008 at 05:37 PM.

Hi guys,
    Sorry, I'm not finding enough time to post about this as much I'd like.

Regarding legal stuff:
    I spoke to a few lawyer friends about my options before deciding what to do. My feeling was always that it would probably be more trouble than it was worth to actually try to sue (given what a legitimate license for the game goes for). In the end I decided that it would be a better use of my time to just ask them to take the game down, and to try to get as much publicity out of the story as I could.
    I'm planning to write a more detailed article about legal/copyright issues surrounding this story later. I'll update this thread when I do.

Great story Imprisoned Pride. I'm glad the story is getting around to 'real people'.

Thanks for the links to all the coverage.
    The story ran in Ars Technica this week too.
    Let me know if you see it pop up anywhere else interesting.

Student
    I guess what made this propular were your screenshots that compared the 2- so if you could make more of them it could help the whole stuff.

I am going to visit a chinese friend for dinner tommorow- will have a talk with her about this regarding her oppinion ect. (she studies also multimedia design like me).
    Last edited by renderhjs; 03-14-2008 at 11:19 AM.

Yeah, the screenshots help a lot.
    I'd like to make a YouTube video that compares the two in action (since the Olympics version is no longer up), I just haven't had time yet.

I think this worked out pretty well for you. The publicity you've received is probably worth more than a license anyway.

Yet I'm amazed how many people defended the theft of your game. Some clearly didn't understand the difference between inspiration and stealing source code, but others did and still defended Sohu.

Stealing from the rich is OK with me, but now people are defending piracy even when they're stealing from the working class.

pretty bummer issue there, i´m late to checking it out thanks to having been busy with deadline stuff for a while..hope you get a propper compensation,any news on this?