A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: open source goes public

open source goes public

The following call to action is an opportunity to put real flash designers to real tests. We are looking for designers to design on our new system.

The project we are proposing will basically consist of a 40 x 40 pixel screen embedded in the floor that is 4 meters by 4 meters in length, each pixel can display a full color range and is touch sensitive. The system is connected to the internet and is controlled through flash files.

The project will allow for public participation from passers-by interacting with the work in the physical space (through the touch sensitive floor) as well as from digital artists contributing to the programming of the screen (through the peripheral computer connected to the internet.) Through this interactivity we will evaluate our installation, leading to a better use of public space.

All experiences will be rated based on the amount of people interacting with the installation. The rating system will define which experiences(programs) are most used on the system and which ones will be archived, creating a type of competition between developers. Furthermore all flash files will be open source so flash designers can exchange, dialog and become more aware of what types of experiences work in the space.

The files and videos of people interacting with the installation will be uploaded to the board and viewers will be able to see the results of their designs then be able to fully tailor make them after.

We are looking for interested flash developers to participate in the project that will involve a new installation at an undisclosed airport. On March 19 we will present our final proposal to the airport board members for this new installation at the airport.

This is the initial call to action, we need files to start the system.

Any help you can offer will be kindly appreciated by the 800 000 passengers per month that could see your work, as well as myself and the airport staff.

Moved from the Arena - where friendly competitions exist - to the Freelance Forum since it seems like you're looking for developers.

But the biggest problem... are you soliciting developers for a fee or for free? That will dictate if this can stay in the Freelance Forum or not.

Thanks in advance. And if you get a chance, take the moment to read the Flashkit Forum FAQ/Rules - it's in my footer - as well as read the Freelance Forum FAQ. I think if you had read those, you might have avoided posting this in the competition area.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Any help you can offer will be kindly appreciated by the 800 000 passengers per month that could see your work, as well as myself and the airport staff.
    Can that appreciation be waived in lieu of something worth something? My landlord (for instance) hates his palm being crossed with anything but dead presidents. I could try to tell him how much I appreciate him instead but have a funny feeling it won't fly there any more than here.

I could be wrong though

Starting to sound like this is a solicitation for free work; which is not allowed here at FK as per the rules.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    Well I am not sure what the guidelines are over there and I will admit I did not give this a thorough read, but the title does mention open source. Try http://osflash.org/ site dedicated to open source flash projects.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

common now guys does this really sound like the brainchild of a scam artist?

Listen guys I understand your hesitation. I have been scammed many a time for free work but this is really a worth while project. Lets say someone was actually going to develop a system like this so that open source communities could play a more direct role in the public space. How would one go about implementing it? I am not looking for amazing games either. I could probably make most of the games I need in a day by myself but I want involve th open source community. Simple Simon, Pong, Chess, something environmental. I don't care just as long as the community is involved. Letters of pledged participation are also acceptable. This is the kind of project that could lead to big things and you could be on the rising crest. I am not getting paid for this part of the project either. Mark Fennel l the creator original creator of this website it in the process of making a game as we speak. The big problem is that I cannot tell you who I am and what airport because of this websites restrictions. If I could I am sure you would be less hesitant.

Sorry, but we just don't allow requests for free work. If you're looking for cooperation, then I'd truly suggest that your wording switch up a bit.

Just as it stands, it looks like a request for free work. I don't know where you got the idea of "scam" though. You're the first person to mention that word.

Get on Board

sorry if I assumed scam was what we were talking about a scam. It was this statement "Starting to sound like this is a solicitation for free work;" that sounded like I didn't really have a project based on open source in the public realm and that I made it up in order to get free work. That was my assumption if that in fact was not what you meant I am sorry.

In regards to "free work" it really depends how you look at it. If the system is designed for people in the public and I provide a way to make that happen as well as make that experience somewhat interesting it seems to me that in fact what I am doing is just creating a situation for interesting relationships between open source flash designers and the international community.

If you look at it that I am making an instillation that I will get paid for and I just want people to do the games for me instead of making them myself than I would suppose that would be a soliciting for free work. But I do see this as a mass collaberation.

But that doesn't explain why I want a community to evolve around this issue and why I want constant participation within the system and why I just want little participation not alot. As I said before pong etc. I can download these files open source anytime want.

Look friend I know you are trying to protect the terms of this website and I respect that but this is the type of project that affects us all. Is we have public spaces that are educated through public participation as well as open source developers that are doing it for no other reason than its fun we will all live in much richer public areas, and with the rise of smaller housing and population increase this will be much more of a contested area within the future. Spread the good word and or better yet get onboard yourself and be part of a new wave of cultural happening.

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    A barter is a barter is a barter. Paint it all pretty and tie a bow to it...it still offers no payment. I'm following this now simply out of mild curiosity and wonder similar to the fascination I have with a cat that toys with it's prey before it tires of the game and ends it once and for all.

Gerbick is a very big, very well known cat

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris_Seahorn
    Gerbick is very big.

Hello Chris,

I am sorry that you feel that way. It doesn't seem very constuctive to comment on my post in such a way. What exactly to you mean free work? Does that imply that you feel the same for the open source community in general? If this in fact the case I am afraid that I would have to disagree with you. Open source participants provide an alternate option for those who like to do buisness with unethical mass industry.

If your "pretty package" refers to the new use open source in the public space then I also think your critic is unfounded. Allowing open source within public space is a worth while effort. It is the next logical step in democratic space. I have found many participants who believe in the project and want to contribute not only to enhance their own knowing of the subject but as well develope a better use of public space for all of society.

Perhaps free work is just free work to you but this is a capitialist notion. Let us try to enhance our society not only through thought but also through action. Participate now and make a change.

George Bush is the Cat I have me eyes on.

Quote Originally Posted by canibalcaribou
    Open source participants provide an alternate option for those who like to do buisness with unethical mass industry.

... I have found many participants who believe in the project and want to contribute not only to enhance their own knowing of the subject but as well develope a better use of public space for all of society.
    Go and get some students who need the exposure to do the work, you cant expect pros to support your idealist notions, or join in your desire to make better use of public space... or get a grant and come back.

OOP is one letter from OOPS kortex's Avatar
    canibalcaribou,
    I'll throw this out there again. This site is specifically for flash based open source projects. http://osflash.org/ .

I may also suggest the Free / Barter System forum in Kirupa's Job section.
    http://www.kirupa.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=69

The issue I don't think is so much with the fact that your are proposing an open source project, but rather where you are doing it.
    Jeremy Wischusen
    Flash - Flex - LAMP - Web Developer Purple Inc
    AS OOP FAQ-Best Practices Thread | Flashkit OOP Tutorials | Purple Inc (day job) | Blog

Thank you Kortex

Thank you Kortex your postings have been constructive and helpfull. I am glad that you did mention where I want to do it. I think that it is places of high commerce is exactly where projects like this are needed. Often in commercial are overly controlled environments. The entire place is over run with things to buy and all experiences lead to an underlying theme of how to aquire money from the general public. I hope we can agree that socialogical problems that occur when alternate situations fail to exist. In non commercial places these problems are less rampant and not in need as much help.

thank you again for the tips,

I respect your opion,

P.S. If anyone has any other ideas on how to provide other incentives for designers please let me know.

Bearded (M|G)od MyFriendIsATaco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by canibalcaribou
    P.S. If anyone has any other ideas on how to provide other incentives for designers please let me know.
    Money.

Seriously? This thread has been open this long?

canibalcaribou-

I dont care what you call it.. open source.. this or that..

the FACTS here are that Flashkit.com DOES NOT ALLOW posts in the freelance section that DO NOT OFFER PAY!..

There is no side stepping that, public, open source, private, commercial.. STUPID!.. the bottom line is.. if you ARE NOT PAYING for someone here to help you or be involved...

ITS NOT ALLOWED!.. PERIOD! there is no fancy post or words you can do to change it.. doesnt matter how you feel.

If you want to get feedback on how to trick.....errmm.. 'motivate' developers with "other incentives for designers please let me know'.. then post a SPECIFIC thread on that in the boardroom or Coffee Lounge..

saying "HOW TO GET LIKE MINDED PEOPLE ON BOARD FOR THIS PROJECT WITHOUT PAYING THEM.".

MANY people have told you (nicely) about HOW to go about this properly, that the focus was THE PAYMENT (per our rules her at FK).. yet you are still either being defiant or just not getting it. what is the hang up? What part are you NOT understanding? Its pretty black and white..

the purpose or objective of your 'project' ultimately has NO BEARING on the posts here.

Follow the rules/guidelines..and you would havent heard a peep from anyone.

this statement:
    "Perhaps free work is just free work to you but this is a capitialist notion. Let us try to enhance our society not only through thought but also through action. Participate now and make a change."

means what exactly??

FREE WORK is not allowed here.. doesnt matter how you try to spin it..

Thread Closed.. for wasting time, and arguing against the established FREELANCE FORUM RULES.

p.s. I think Gerbs is getting to NICE in his OLD age..