A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] weird problem! inconsistant code :(

[F8] weird problem! inconsistant code :(

hey
    oh dear i have a really dumb problem that i've never come across before. basically i have a load of thumbnails that launch a big image to load in and once it has it positions itself. a close button also comes up which sends everything back to the default state. all works fine. UNTIL i test it in a browser. sometimes it works fine, sometimes the images come up and do not position themselves! no consistency to the problem, it's not like it's every other time or anything like that, just sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. has anyone ever had a problem like that before - and what was causing it???!!!

You say 'launch a big image', how are you 'launching' it?

My first guess it that there is a loading delay and the following code does not work unless the image is loaded first. Something that may be near instant locally but not so from a server. But it would help to know how you are getting your big image to the stage.

i'm using loadMovie, then using an onEnterFrame to check if its loaded, if it is then it deletes the onEnterFrame and runs the functions to position the image and fade the image in. here's my code:

Code:
    tempWedge.onRelease = function(){
    			launchImage();
    			 bigView = true;
    			 empty._alpha = 0;
    			loadMovie("illustration/"+_root.whichImage+".jpg", empty);
    			onEnterFrame = function(){
    			if (empty._framesloaded == empty._totalframes){
    				delete onEnterFrame;
    				posEmpty();
    				Tweener.addTween(empty,{_alpha:100, time:0.4, transition:"easeInOutSine"});
    				addClose();
    			}
    		}
    the launchImage function doesn't launch the image, it just prepares the stage for the image. empty is the empty clip on the stage i'm loading my images into. does that help at all? thanks for replying this is frying my brain now!

i now think that this onEnterFrame stuff is not the best way to figure that the image has loaded in. seems that's the glitchy bit. going to look for another solution - any pointers anyone?

ok have solved it - have changed my code to this:

Code:
    tempWedge.onRelease = function(){
    			launchImage();
    			bigView = true;
    			var myMCL = new MovieClipLoader();
    			myMCL.onLoadInit = function (empty){
       				posEmpty();
    				addClose();
    				empty._alpha = 0;
    				Tweener.addTween(empty,{_alpha:100, time:0.4, transition:"easeInOutSine"});
    			}
    works great. phew!