dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Flash CS3 crashing for no reason

[CS3] Flash CS3 crashing for no reason

I've just recently installed CS3 and find it to be incredibly unstable. As soon as I open the Actions palette it crashes. According to Task Manager it's still running, but "holes" appear in the interface and I have no choice but to end the task and re-open it. I do all my coding in external .as files but sometimes it takes me half an hour to add the one line of code needed to include my .as file.

It also does the same thing quite often if I open the ActionScript reference. I am seriously losing patience and tempted to revert back to Flash 8 despite having forked out for the upgrade. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

I'm on Win XP by the way.

AS3 Mod
    Have you tried using Adobe's CS3 Cleaner and then reinstalling it again? Or even contacting Adobe support for help?

Also as a general rule of thumb, make sure you have all your windows updates installed, etc.

Thanks for replying.

I checked the Adobe site and the CS3 Clean Script seems to be needed to clear up beta or pre-release versions. I installed a clean brand new copy straight out of the box. The next day it decided to do an update and spent over an hour updating itself.

All my windows updates are installed and up-to-date. I'm starting to wonder if there isn't some conflict with my anti-virus.

Ok, it's not the antivirus. I have 1GB of RAM and the computer was re-formatted six months ago so there shouldn't be too much rubbish floating around. I'm all out of ideas at this stage. It's already crashed 4 times on me this morning and it's not yet ten o'clock, and the movie I'm trying to export is extremely simple.

AS3 Mod
    If you go to the event viewer (start -> run -> "eventvwr"), then go to applications view and see if you can find those crashes in there. If so it should have details as to whats causing it, or you can post a couple here so we can read through them.