A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: characters design & lowPoly

Student
    I progressed with the level layout of this particular map:

I added plants, mushrooms a big statue and some wooden details. I am not yet satisfied with the overal detail amount so propably next will be to define the static camera positions and based on those add more details to the areas those cameras can see.
    The pink path indicates the walkable area- so to say the collision vectors for the pathfinding later- so the character automaticly avoids obstacles, curves, ect..

That statue is cool - has a real central american feel to it which I like You make this stuff look so easy and fun! The whole reason I love video game authoring is that whole constructive aspect where you get to create your own little world. You really excel at translating the vision in your head into real pieces of content.

All of that stage is going to be playable!
    This game is going to be sick.
    How is the camera going to move, Resident Evil style?

dough.

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Never_land:(
    All of that stage is going to be playable!
    This game is going to be sick.
    How is the camera going to move, Resident Evil style?
    dough.
    first off static,- just like the first 3 resident evil games or the final fantasy 7 game- so the camera switches once you leave the camera area.
    I thought about using panoramas or animations (turning cameras) with equasions in flash to control their position or frames of the animation depending on how I want to focus the camera but that´s future stuff.

I need a lot details because in some cases the camera might be pretty close

Great stuff, isn't this a university project? Is anyone else on your team doing anything? LOL.

"turning cameras) with equasions in flash to control their position or frames of the animation depending on how I want to focus the camera but that´s future stuff."
    (tree scenario)
    I saw this camera scrolling in a ps1 game, I don't remember the name.
    good luck.

PS. The first three resident evils rocked but the 4th was the best, I'm looking forward for the 5th, too bad I am a Wii owner, now I need a ps3 or Xbox360 (damn capcom)

Student
    Quote Originally Posted by Alluvian
    Great stuff, isn't this a university project? Is anyone else on your team doing anything? LOL.
    they did but less as I did so far. It seems that I am faster with 3d as they are. But the other guy started already with the inside building and its rooms- I hope to see some progress of that too
    The girl in our team started with some concept drawings for the characters (so that´s not my drawing):
    ,- quite the opposite of what I did with my anime alike character- w´ll see what turns out later.

@Never_land that would be than an animation just like quicktime VR does- although they claim its something different. In the end you have like 360 frames stored and just gotoAndStop to the frame the camera currently looks at.
    But that idea could be transported far more complex- like a moving camera towards or away from targets- like a chasing scene.
    Alternativly I could render loops of animations for things like beeing on moving items like trains and having the background move in a direction. But that´s all not my first goal- I´ll try that if I might have some free time towards the time goal,- wich is like in 3 months- so the whole thing will be more like a concept to show how something like a adventure game could be produced inside flash.

back on my part:
    added a few details and some camera setups for the game (draft renderings):

a overview of all that:

next are textures and unwrapping of the geometry

wanted to drop in and say something here because i recently moan so much about various 3D stuff made in flash:
    i think you´re doing a great job and wisely doing one of the ways of 3D and fake3D/prerendered combination that actualy makes sense to do in flash, always a joy to see updates of it
    Too bad you´re not into working on a full game with others cause otherwise i´d bring you into our team to make a 3D game together

Student
    @tomsamson: I am in a different position as you are. My projects are not meant for commercial purposes they are for my portfolio and for what comes after my university (e.g job application). I dont have that much time for a project as propably you have because of my busy timetable here at the university.

But I developed already some important stuff to me that will come in handy with commercial jobs some things like the camera mapping approaches to mix interactive and changeable stuff in flash with pre- rendered animations or images (I bet there are a lot of agencies who´d like to play with that).
    But who knows I thought perhaps using this project in my finals to add some xtra stuff I dont have the time now for - and to make it more round.

What most (not all) others release here at FK are mini games with mini content, if I could pick I would of course rather go for the big project but that´s sadly very uncommon in the flash industry. Not seeing square-enix, sega or other famous games creators I like to switch to flash anytime soon. Perhaps this project can create a bridge

render: Is it your goal to be working with flash professionally? I mean would you like to work at a web agency or are you aiming toward the gaming industry in general?
    I'm not offering you a job or anything I'm just curious since I think about these things myself a lot
    // Mazapán, my portfolio

render: haha, its funny you say an university student has less free time than me
    Don´t want to talk down your schedule, workload and dedication, we all see how much effort you put into your stuff but yeah, you´d reconsider your statement if you knew how many hours i usually work per day
    Also once one has to earn income its more difficult to get back to the state of beeing able to totally freely pick what to do next.

I´m sure some of the stuff you do could techwise be quite interesting to many agencies, yes, personally i´m less into doing realtime 3D in flash as you know so my statement was more based on seeing your dedication and creative skill,not so much the engine behind the stuff

And yes, i´d prefer working on bigger scale projects with more creative freedom,too, again i think this is easier as long as you´re a pupil/student, once you have to earn money constantly it can take a while to get into a position where you can just do something you personally want to do for 3-6 months.

Student
    @Kianis: Flash itself was never a goal for me- my aim was always more towards multiple key-qualification skills. Aiming just for a pure Flash position would be the most boring thing imo.

@tomsamson: might take it back,- just wanted to point out that even though this is university related I still dont have much time for it.

started with unwrapping and texturing:

with some textures I am already quite happy, the rocks need some improvements though. I wrote a maxscript that replaced fixed UV poly´s with unfixed poly instances- wich speeds up the workflow so I unwrap 1 mesh and apply it to all instances afterwards.
    I used a new texture resource this time http://www.cgtextures.com/ wich I can recomend anyone working with 3d.

some previous camera angles:

Now tell me whos watchin...... samvillian's Avatar
    looks realllllly nice bro. dont really know what else to say... looks nice
    If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.

Xbox 360 Modding Controller PS3 Mod Paint Spray LED Case

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    Working commercial for so many years would probably make my passions on focused art fade. You better do other things with your talent Render; stand alone creativity is interesting when it does not involve corporation. I feel sure that at least you have things you would like to do in the future.

Keep up the great work.

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    I am in a different position as you are. My projects are not meant for commercial purposes they are for my portfolio and for what comes after my university (e.g job application).
    IMHO you need to start working as a freelancer and not as an office plankton
    You have a good graphics skills together with strong programming background (rare mix today) and as a result of this I think you can be capable to make small projects for the Ad agencies with much more money then in case when you'll be working in the office. Your portfolio even now looks great and don't need any further improvements, just keep it updated with the last work and you'll be ok.
    Last edited by The Helmsman; 04-22-2008 at 05:17 AM.

Great modeling there. About the panorama idea for camera panning, my plan was to attach parts of a 3d render to polygons making a box in flash similar to a sky box but it doesn't work very well with affine texturing.
    I'm sure I seen a successful panorama made in Papervision somewhere and would like to check it again for distortions.
    As for 3d, I made a realtime 3d floor, but have gone back to pseudo for now as the renders look better (even with smoothing on bitmap fills). I've sacrificed the realtime 3d for the clearer light/shadows smoother look of a render
    Last edited by programicks; 04-22-2008 at 04:53 PM.
    May 2009 - Working on Thorenzitha RPG - episode 7

Student
    almost finished all textures and unwrapping tasks for this level:

the glow stuff was done in MentalRay (renderer in 3dsmax) with a hidden shader called lume- and glare effect, so no photoshop there. A good tutorial on the net explains how to unlock and use it.
    I decided to go for a brick texture on the statue simply to make it more interesting by having even more details (looks more complex this way). The rocks around it are just 2 rock instances wich I copied a few times and scaled/rotated them slightly- works pretty well.

some little detail, the telescope:

the telescope has a dirt texture that was computed in a similar way as ambient occlusion is done by generating a convex/concarve map. It gives the object a little bit more depth/ contrast and dirt look on the texture.

there is now also a somewhat stable logo for the project

(the pic shows actually a progression of it)

Obviously you don't need me to tell you this, but that looks amazing. To be honest I've done very little actual 3d work, so I'm not even aware of what goes in to making something like this. But, it looks good, that's what I can say for sure.
    Last edited by WesIsGood; 04-27-2008 at 04:19 AM.

Astonishing! Very solid and professional look. I like the renderer you used, it give a some kind of depth which IMO can be seen in the movies. Deep black colors and mysterious games of light and dark areas. The logo fits perfect the atmosphere and continues with the same look and feel. The only one question left is where and when we'll see the final product?

Ich lerne jede Tag etwas Neues Evaman's Avatar
    Hey Render, just a suggestion. Have you tried placing an internal shade or a inner shadow in the text for your logo? Just a thought; since this is about light and darkness sort of.