A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: characters design & lowPoly

i wasn't going to say anything because i don't have anything positive to add that hasn't been said already (it looks fantastic).

but! there's something that bugs me about the statue. there's no edge to it. it reminds me of the design of the lego star wars games. i think making its face quite a bit meaner perhaps could have a positive impact. again, i only mention it because everything looks so good and i want it to be just that little bit better!

Jesus thats amazing!
    You are seriously gifted.
    Ryan :]

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Looking like good stuff as usual Render. However I am compelled to ask, if you have the free time to model these things, why not wrap up Tank Move?
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

Student
    tank move was a smal side project for the uni-to be excact for my psychology housework. This is a main project meaning I get automaticly more time reserved for it.
    so no more tank move dsicussions here

instead another female character model: the mother:

I am not yet pleased with the texture because its little bit boring around her belly and some more xtra details might be nice (like the hairs and her neck).

At first I worked on this sketch but then I noticed that she looks so different from my first character so I played a little bit with her. Changed the eye- style,- gave her a little bit more volume in the head.

Looking good. Maybe you should edit the font abit. Looks like it says AN EBIC ADVENTURE

looks good. i still think it needs a little shading to give it some roundness. it looks a little flat right now
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Student
    more details and shading:

Student
    since I finally can use animations in my engine I made this walkcycle test - to be tested soon in my engine:

some animator at a different forum said that having such a few polygons around the arms might be a problem - but I think it still works pretty well wich is a relief for me right now- as I thought there might be some problems there as well.

Very, VERY nice work, render.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    Loving that little hip sway. Nice nice motion. Great engine... you've even got me inspired enough to have been rendering in 3dmax so keep up great work.
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

awesome walkcycle dude. a small crit if i may;
    i don't think the head should move right to left. it looks like she is lookin all aver the place.
    the feet fall right in front of each other. like she is walkin on a tight rope.
    you may have both of these on purpose because; a) she IS lookin everywhere b) she will walk in some tight spaces. it's just that they look a little odd without an environment.
    Last edited by BlinkOk; 05-20-2008 at 05:26 PM.
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkOk
    the feet fall right in front of each other. like she is walkin on a tight rope.
    Actually, I've seen in psychology books and animation books, women's walk cycles being described as "tightrope-walking", caused by evolution. They put one foot out in front of the other, taking small steps so that their legs cross in front of each other, protecting the... (Flash Kit is G-rated, right?)... important bits that lie in-between.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    I think the animation looks a bit artificial and also the upper body walks a bit like a body builder. I would probably try tugging the arms in a bit, the shoulders a tiny bit down and pull the thumbs in, to make her look more relaxed.
    She is a MILF though
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Student
    well guys I wrote walkcycle test,- you´d be suprised how quickly I crunched together that animation- just as a test animation. Not even sure if the mommy will walk at all,- she´ll rather will do some laundry work or cook in the kitchen- so more static type of animations.
    But what I liked already about that test animation is the skirt how it moves even though its very low poly (about 300 triangles now).

The main girl however will have 2 walkcycles (normal & sprint)- I´ll post them of course once I start with them. But since I am yet to code some of the important animation code I´ll start with this mommy walkcycle test first,- to see if it will work with the timing in the engine.

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Haha, alright alright The skirt really does move well. I think I'm speaking for all when I say you need to stay up all night, so you can show us some more
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Student
    character progress:

the girl gets new textures,- the old ones were to boring and to bright. The tall guard is actually done by a friend of me,- the rest is my stuff

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    Wow man, I love it. Cartoon style textures work really well. Looking forward to the end product. The idea behind the game reminds me of Dreamfall - The longest journey.

This project is awesome! ^_^

You have inspired me to have a go at some 3D for flash too.

Would you mind sharing how you modeled the hands for your low poly character? I can't seem to work out how to do it

Thanks, and good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    some animator at a different forum said that having such a few polygons around the arms might be a problem - but I think it still works pretty well wich is a relief for me right now- as I thought there might be some problems there as well.
    What kind of problem?Seems ok to me, do you care of posting the link to this other forum?

Student
    @Incrue: usually for a propper rigged character you need at least 3 or 5 loops round bending elements such as elbows, knees and the neck- without them shapes can collapse esspecially if they dont have much voume like the arms of my characters.
    about that other forum,- it´s polycount

still many textures in progress but I wanted to share a larger piece of the characters so far:

today I have been working on the textures of the sick sister:

as you can see all have a absolutely polygon limit of 300 triangles as this is a value I seem to have good results in my engine displaying 2-3 characters animated ot once.