dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Pimp-ish] Chimbo's Quest

[Pimp-ish] Chimbo's Quest

A very old reskin of the even older JBJ Sisters.

It's been sitting around for ages doing nothing, the client who requested the reskin disappeared on me, so when we were approached by GameJacket for a game for the beta launch of their ad system we offered up this one.

In terms of gameplay it's feeling it's age now, presentation wise it's still pretty good though ( The main sprite is by dayDream, with the additional art from marmotte ).

I'm only pimping it now 'cause it seems to have leaked to quite a few sites, including newgrounds, so I thought I may as well mention it. If it's out the door then it's fair for pimping ( Although trying to get any sort of sponsorship for it is screwed now ).

Here's the newground link, I guess it's as good as any other portal that's got it,
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/432308

Squize.

Its a very nice game, I love the presentation, movement feels right and graphics rock. I can't play the game very well though. I find it close to impossible to avoid 2 logs beneath the monkey man. I'll keep on trying though. If you could just tell me how to jump over two logs, I could enjoy it more

You guys should get some shirts made up. Team pimp
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

You can run from the edge to the other side of the screen.
    It's a nice looking game and pretty fun, too bad about the leak thing.
    Was it the portal you send it to who leaked it? Would be good to know to avoid them

Quote Originally Posted by hatu
    You can run from the edge to the other side of the screen.
    I was about to give up when I understood this. The game looked a lot more attractive then.
    Really I love this old school game. The ratings on newgrounds doesn't mean a lot IMO...

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    It's good...but you know that I like how you put together a gfx team...I need an artist - why not just take TWO of the best
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Hey Mr.M, sometimes there's no avoiding the drop, so take the one which will cause you less of a problem ( ie, the one furthest away from any log below ).
    Also when jumping through a log ( Not the most logical game I know ) move to one side or the other, otherwise you'll fall straight back down.

hatu, the wraping around the screen is the vital part of the game play, Sietjp benefitted from it

phreax, that was the good ol' days when I could afford to work with daydream
    ( It cost me a remix of jingle bells for a game he was doing. I must have done 10 versions before he was happy with it, I thought he'd just sign off the first, so I did pay a high price for the main sprite, by having to listen to that tune over and over ).

From the current feedback, it seems very few people are bothering with the instructions and then thinking it sucks 'cause without knowing exactly what you're doing, it does.
    Also the concept of sometimes having to take a step back to push further on hasn't gone down too well either.

Oh well, I can live with it. I checked back, and the JBJ Sisters was released 18/9/03 ( On which this game is just a reskin, and therefore plays the same ), and the demo version of this was released here on 25/7/2004.
    So the gameplay being a bit creaky isn't too surprising, that it still looks good is pleasing though.

Squize.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Lovely presentation. It's a shame I'm so bad at it, but it's so polished, that you just want to keep playing it .

Ali

Wow, oldie!! Excellent

If I remember, that was one of my 1st "commercial" game using pixel art (and I realize that I worked a lot with you...). (Yes, "commercial" is in brackets because the client disappeared - and I didn't know that until recently!)

^ Oh wait, actually it was BurgerMan for SuperSizeMe...

Funny, I was thinking about JBJ the other day, when you talked about "I want to make my own games, dammit"... A new reskin, not in pixel art this time, and with a fresh new code from you

Link no worky for me.

awesome work as usual marmotte. i think i remember seeing the gfx for this on your site. nice game
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Quote Originally Posted by BlinkOk
    awesome work as usual marmotte. i think i remember seeing the gfx for this on your site. nice game
    Thanks, Blink And yes, I have those old sprites in my portfolio since so long... They should be from... 2004?
    It reminds me my old FK days

The Cheeze to Your Macaroni ColbyCheeze's Avatar
    It looked like it could be fun but it was just really hard. It took me 3 tries before I figured out how to even jump over the log. Maybe I'm just being dumb today, but then I couldn't even get up past the 2nd row. Maybe it just isn't a type of game I am good at *shrug*

Anyway it looks pretty, and I'm sure it is a great game for the more hardcore crowd that likes banging thier head on the wall to beat a game :P

Cheers ali, keep playing it mate

marmotte, we've worked together loads thinking about it. All that time working together, and we still can't stand each other
    If you've got a good idea for a reskin for it, with new code ( I can't go back to that code ever again ) then let me know.
    You know I want to do that zombie game, maybe in 6-8 weeks we can think about making a start on something of our own together ( Ha, and in 8 weeks time we'll still be both snowed under with work ).

Ray, that's weird, try this one:
    http://www.gamejacket.com/gamejacket.asp?gjid=00040

Cheers Blink, the art does make the game imho.

Colby, I guess it's just not for you mate. Thanks for giving it a crack anyway.

Thanks again for everyone who's taken the time to give it a play and post,

Squize.