dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: loading from different server

loading from different server

Hi

I've had a search on here for info on this but couldn't find any.

What are the issues with dynamically loading either an image (.png/jpg/gif), data (XML or raw) or a .swf from a different server to the one that the loader .swf is on?

Is there a straightforward no hassle way of that working? or does it always require a cross domain file? will it always show a popup for people? etc etc? basically what I'm after is a way to either load a .swf from one server into a .swf on another server, or at least an image with an associated bit of data (to provide a URL link for the image) without any need for a cross domain file or any weird security pop ups appearing, can it be done?
    FlashGameMaker.com - er..where I say stuff.

a cross domain policy file is straight forward for anybody that is dealing with a webserver.....my aplogies if this post is brutally honest.
    ~calmchess~

ah, but I won't know where the loader .swf will end up, or is that not an issue? in other words I can point the loader .swf to my cross domain file (which will be on my server so I'll know where that is! ) regardless of where the loader .swf will reside?

ok I've been reading about the cross domain file, and I just want to get this straight.

I have .swf A and .swf B. I want .swf B to load into .swf A. Swf A goes off into the internet and ends up on some server somewhere (which I have no idea where that is). .Swf B is on my own server. Swf A tries to load .swf b into it by accessing a cross domain file which is residing on my own server, correct so far? so the cross domain file is on my own server NOT the server .swf A is on. And in the cross domain file I need to set it up so it can be accessed by any server correct? (I think by using *)

You have to allow by policy file or by allowDomain command on both sides where your files are placed. Try it out, i think it will work
    inder

ok, but I just need whatever server swf A is on to be able to load in swf B from my own server, I'm hoping that I can use a cross domain file on my own server allowing wildcard access. I can't have anything on the server that swf A is on because I don't know where that will be! only the .swf A will be on that.......does all that sound right? or do I need a cross domain file on the server that swf A will be on?

have I posted this in the wrong section?

put a cross domain policy file crossdomain.xml with a wild card on the root of your server:

PHP Code:
    <?xml version="1.0"?>
    <!DOCTYPE cross-domain-policy 
      SYSTEM "http://www.macromedia.com/xml/dtds/cross-domain-policy.dtd">
    <cross-domain-policy>
      <allow-access-from domain="*" />
    </cross-domain-policy>
    you can fidn more details: http://www.moock.org/asdg/technotes/...inPolicyFiles/
    Flashmatics | Flashmatics Library (free downloads)
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Latest Projects:
    The Dead Room | Are You Smarter | Prison Break (Frame A Friend) | Beck's Fusions | The 24 Experience

-----------------------------------------------------
    Flash Certified Developer