A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] very frustrated beginner attempring difficult site

[CS3] very frustrated beginner attempring difficult site

HELP!

I know I'm only a n00b at this stuff, but it's driving me crazy!
    I'm building a website, and part of it is a page that is made entirely of flash. What I'm trying to do is this: when the user navigates to another part of the flash (like another section/page) then the flash box will contract and expand and a mask over all the text will contract and expand at the same time as the box so it looks like the info that is currently being viewed is wiped off as the box contracts/expands. I managed to do this fine. However, it is the placement and timing of the actual new content/new info that appears after the expanding that is giving me problems.

This will be difficult to describe though, (I wanted to upload the .FLA but Im not sure how to that yet). Basically, there is a picture over the white box, that is under the mask, and so it gets wiped off with the rest of the text and the new content is loaded. Obviously, there is more than one piece of content so when I click on another button for the next piece of content to come up, the content before it blocks it because of layer order. What did I do? Within the time line of each piece of content I timed and placed the content so it matches the mask, and it has 30 frames when its off the stage, and then for 2 frames its on the stage, on frame 31 I put 'stop();' into the actions and then on frame 32 I put 'gotoAndStop(31);' so that if the user clicks on the same piece of content it won't just go off the stage, but just revert to frame 31 and stays on the stage. From frame 33 to frame 62, the content is on the stage, and at frame 63 its off, so when the user clicks on the next piece of content, the current content doesnt suddenly dissapear but is wiped off by the mask as well. That is all fine, apart from if I click on the piece of content that is on the layer under it, it plays from frame 33 of the other piece of content, which blocks the new piece because its on a higher layer.

Here's the actionscript for the buttons that make the box, mask and content play:

(1st button for 1st piece of content)
    on(release){
    _root.gotoAndPlay(196);
    _root.stephenMC.play();
    _root.ygrafMC.play();
    }

(2nd button for second piece of content)
    on(release){
    _root.gotoAndPlay(196);
    _root.cheliseMC.play();
    _root.ygrafMC.play();
    _root.stephenMC.gotoAndPlay(33);
    }

OK, I know that I havet described it that well (even Im confused by this stage) but any suggestions or help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you

the red star

to upload the fla click on post reply, below the textbox for typing a reply is a button that says Manage Attachments. click on this button to open up a pop up window. in that window click on the browse button to upload your fla, once you select the fla. click the upload button. once it is uploaded it will show the file you uploaded. close the window, and click on post your reply. the file will be part of your reply.
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

also you have a size limit on the file being uploaded... I think its about 300 kb.

thanks for the quick reply, but the .FLA is 1.58mb, hmmmm, any ideas?

You can upload to your server and post link or find a free file server (if you dont have hosting server), offer to email your fla to users, you can try and zip it, create a small sample fla. This is just a few ways you can do this.

Yeay, I managed to fix it temporarily (I know there will be more problems lol)