dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [SHOW] Attack

[SHOW] Attack

Hey,

I'm not sure how many of you guys visit jayisgames.com, but I just played an awesome game that got reviewed there and it's so damn fun I thought I should share link (play attack here). If anyone likes Dragon Ball Z you should definately check it out, or even anyone who just enjoys an action game (like me) you'll love it too... I just wished it had online multiplayer.

The levels are pretty big, and there's a lot going on visually and under the bonnet so I'm assuming it must be an AS3.0 game. Based on that guess, I'd have to say that this is probably the first game that has REALLY made me want to start learning AS3 (not because I currently have the abilities to make a game like that, but AS2 is really starting to feel limiting after seeing what's possible from this game).

Enjoy,
    Viza.

P.S. If these game 'link' threads are getting annoying, tell me ( I realise not everyone would have the same taste in games as me).

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    That does look pretty sweet. Really nice find. Didn't have time to play it but there does appear to be a few physics and sound issues, at least in demo mode. Oh and I think it's spelled "Attak". Awesome though.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

I'd have to say that this is probably the first game that has REALLY made me want to start learning AS3
    I don't get it. It's a terrible game that could be done much better with just AS1.

Yeah IP, my bad.. It's supposed to be spelled 'Attak'.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeMD
    I don't get it. It's a terrible game that could be done much better with just AS1.
    It would be possible, perhaps. But no where near as code efficient. This kind of speed, from my knowledge, would only be achievable with AS3.

Think about all of the major features:
    - First of all, this would use an excessive amount of Bitmap Data (collisions, effects, particles, etc.). That rules out AS1 right away.
    - Dynamic zooming/scrolling of HUUGE levels. I'm not aware of performance of AS3 coding scaling and moving such huge movieclips/bitmaps, but AS2 has trouble with this kind of excessive scaling at least.
    - Etc...

..Perhaps it could've been done in AS2, but seriously, you'd be trying to squeeze out milliseconds here and there when you're much better doing it in AS3.

Oh, and in terms of gameplay it's nothing special. But people will love throwing enemies through buildings and other bits of the environments so I'd expect this to get a very good reception from the general public. Also, you can't say that there are many other similar Flash games out there, and if there are I'm sure it wouldn't be comparable to this.

That’s just my opinion though.

Viza.

Now that's the kind of game WilloughByJackson wanted to make
    (And me too? *cough*)

I didn't like it too much though I didn't feel any kind of "power" or "impact" coming from the fight...
    Last edited by marmotte; 04-07-2008 at 06:58 AM.

The visuals were really cool like kicking someone through a building but the controls feel pretty sloppy and unresponsive for a game like that. It's like you're just floating when they should be sharp and precise and fast

- First of all, this would use an excessive amount of Bitmap Data (collisions, effects, particles, etc.). That rules out AS1 right away.
    All things that could easily be faked in AS1. And I don't understand obsession with particles in flash. Prerendered ones always look better, and you save all that cpu processing.

I have to admit, this is not my type of a game, and I'm at a point where if graphics look bad, I don't bother much after that. I'm all for gameplay, but let's face it, there aren't really any new, innovative ideas, out there. It's all a recycle of something else + a little twist.
    Last edited by MikeMD; 04-07-2008 at 07:46 AM.

this game could seriously be pushed into a http://www.soldat.pl/main.php game
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

You make some good points Mike.

All things that could easily be faked in AS1.
    Now that's stretching the truth a lot. Yes, you could make the majority of this game in AS1, but it wouldn't be as good (features would be missing, clumsier code, runs slower) plus it would be a nightmare for the developer when they could do things much easier in AS3. I made that comment about AS3, because not that the gameplay is fantastic (that's not my point anyway) but it really showed me that the scope of Flash games (in terms of how code advancements are enabling devs to make bigger + better cosmetic features as well as better gameplay mechanics (though this game doesn't demonstrate this one so well)) will be getting MUCH bigger now that AS3 will soon be the big boy in town.

And I don't understand obsession with particles in flash. Prerendered ones always look better, and you save all that cpu processing.
    Yah, I agree with you in a couple of ways here. Imo though, particles are awesome. Manipulating things and getting ***** flying all over the place in haphazard explosions is mouth-watering to me.

I agree though in that many times you can see that a lot of work has been put into particle effects when in reality it would've looked WAY better as well as being much easier to make the exact same effect using simple tweens. It seems like a lot of people do things the hard way with code, when they could do it just as easily and often better with a few movieclips.

The big benefit of using particles comes in two cases:
    - Either you've created classes that will remove any actual work in implementing particles (which I'm pretty sure most devs around here will already have an extensive library of such classes).
    -OR you need them to act dynamically in such a way that there is no way to properly pre-define the particles path with a tween.

It's all a recycle of something else + a little twist
    Though this is a very debatable subject itself, I’m a big believer in being inspired, rather than simply ‘stealing ideas’ which is a term used a bit too often imo. There is a big difference between the two yet a lot of people get them confused with each other.

If you take an idea and shape it into your vision then that’s inspiration. If you just make an exact clone then yeah, that’s a . Flash games are abundant, and many are just clones of other games/concepts, but the ones that do very well (and there are quite a few of them) are inspired game concepts that have been taken to a new level. Anyway, I wont go into that anymore because I’m falling asleep just typing my own words.

Viza.

I dont belive its AS3, it runs very slows here; this pc is old but it can handle some AS3 examples very well, like renderhjs's stuff
    Besides, it seems that what slows down is when it has many bitmaps on the screem to scale and draw, and AS3 is only good to make calculations faster, not a improvement on draw things on the screem, so it would not help on that

Patron Saint of Beatings WilloughbyJackson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marmotte
    Now that's the kind of game WilloughByJackson wanted to make
    (And me too? *cough*)
    Naw... I'd rather do an Airmaster or One Piece game if based off an anime. That or a Jademan Comics inspired game.

I didn't like it too much though I didn't feel any kind of "power" or "impact" coming from the fight...
    I have to agree with Marmotte. It didn't feel like anything was happening. The controls felt really sluggish.

If I EVER had to make a projectile based combat game..I'd take inspiration from Touhou IaMP:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3uDSZVUACmY

Or the doujinshi game Metal Gun III:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yyZyKzv55Io

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Soldat was the first thing that came to mind.

It does look very AS1, the scaling is something that can't really be sped up, even with as3. So that's probably just all nested in an mc and scaled. Particle effects and AI would benfit from as3, but I doubt it's being used here.

I suppose why I liked this game was because it reminded me a bit of one of my early favourite games, Liero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMW6f5KSXQ8(video doesn't do teh game justice, but you get the idea of the kind of gameplay)

Man I love that game... In fact, that's where I got my inspiration for Bounce to incorperate grappling hook movement.

Viza.

EDIT: Ok, I guess if there is no difference in visual rendering in AS3 then this was probably done in AS2. Still though, thinking about some of these game ideas I'm realy tempted to dive into AS3.

I couldn't figure out how to shoot.