A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] [Flash 8] Applescript not being called

resolved [RESOLVED] [Flash 8] Applescript not being called

Hi,

I've got a cross-platform CD which should open different PDFs. I've created AppleScript files to open the PDFs and when I open them by double-clicking they open the PDF as they should.

However, Flash seems to be not calling them. I'm using the following function:

function openPDF(which){
    if (platform=="WIN"){
    fscommand("exec", which + ".exe");
    }else{
    fscommand("exec", which);

}
    }

The last time I did a CD like this was a few years ago and I saved the applescript files (on system 9) as compiled script files and they worked fine. However the script editor doesn't give this option any more - so I was compiling them as application (.app) files but flash seems to be ignoring them. I've tried using fscommand("exec", which + ".app"); and that doesn't work either.

Any ideas? I'm pretty desperate.

Lifetime Friend of Site Staff Northcode's Avatar
    Are you putting the script files in the fscommand folder?

I am indeed. I have the PDFs inside the fscommand folder too.

Northcode - I've just found a post over at actionscript.org where you gave someone a code snippet not so long ago:
    fscommand("exec", target + "_script");

This is what I used for a previous project a few years ago when I created the applescript files on the old Mac running OS 9. I saved them as compiled scripts and called them using fscommand("exec", target + "_script"). The newer mac (the old one died) only allows me to save as script (which when double-clicked opens the script file in the AppleScript editor) or as an application (.app). There is no option to save a compiled script.

How should I be saving these files? Maybe this is where I'm going wrong though I thought fscommand could open .app files.

I'm using Flash 8 because I read about how buggy CS3 is for fscommand.

I've never had any luck with uncompiled scripts, they work on some machines but not on everything. I can't believe they would just remove the option to compile a script. The .app file should be the "compiled" version of the script and fscommand can deal with that.

I've figured it out. For the benefit of anyone who might be having the same problems, I had .bat and .exe files of the same name as the .app files in the fscommand folder. This seems to have been confusing the projector. I added "_script" to the name of the .app file and added the extension to the fscommand:
    fscommand("exec", which + "_script.app");

If I had burned it as was it probably would have worked because the .bat and .exe files would have been hidden from the Mac on the CD.

I'm having an issue with it...
    ok, so I have cs3 and it doesn't work, so I went to my non intel based mac with cs2.

I made an applescript, saved as an application and run only. I double click on it and it opens the folder like I want. (I had burned a cd named what I wanted so it opens the folder on the cd).

but when I run my mac projector it doesn't work. yes the folders are in a fscommand folder.

here's my script on the button
    on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "openpdfe");
    }

As I pointed out in this post, the EXEC command is broken in Flash CS3.

You won't be pleased to hear this, but you've run headlong into a known issue.

Adobe badly bruised the EXEC function when they released CS3 as I mentioned on my blog in this post almost a year ago... FSCommand EXEC is Broken in Flash CS3.

The latest copy of my Proxy utility (version 3.0) fixes this for Windows but I haven't created a solution for the Mac yet

yes, I saw your post, which is why I tried it in CS2 on a non intel computer and it still doesn't work.

Can you EXEC any other application you put in the fscommand folder or do you just have problems with compiled AppleScript's?

actually no. ok now you're on to something. But I'm doing what I'm supposed to , right? for the test I took another projector, called it project and then did

on (release) {
    fscommand("exec", "project");
    }
    I put the files in the same directory as the main projector. I also tried putting it in a fscommand folder. I also tried launching a index.htm document. no luck. I gotta be doing something stupid.