A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: RE: Apple Mac Preloader

RE: Apple Mac Preloader

Can someone explain how to make a mac style spinning preloader commonly used on flash websites? Thank You

If you post an link to an example... a picture of image..

something.. ANYTHING to let the rest of us know what your talking about.. I bet one of us could help you out.

Hmm, I'm thinking of a way to do this, but it sounds a little silly and extreme. Create a symbol, that's shaped like one of those little pegs. I would make it 12 frames long, as there are 12 little pegs, and make it a shape tween of a black with an alpha of 80, fading to an alpha of 10. Then, using a base image such as this i would arrange my symbols in the same fashion (i'd just put the image on a layer below, and arrange the symbols on top) then I'd go through the symbols, and give them all unique instance names. Just click the symbol and go to the bottom left of your properties bar, and add in the name. I would name them something like peg1, peg2 ... peg12, starting from the top one, and working my way around the circle going to the right. Then would add this actionscript to the frame the symbols are on.

peg1.gotoAndPlay(1);
    peg2.gotoAndPlay(2);
    peg12.gotoAndPlay(12);

This should make those symbols start on those specific frames, and it should now look like they are all fading as it goes in a circle, like the mac loader.

I can't provide you the code for the preloader at the moment as i'm not at home and don't have access to my FLAs, and i'm more of a designer than a coder. However, if you have any preloader, you can just take that symbol you created, and put it in the preloader. Hopefully this advice was at least slightly useful to you, even though it didn't fully answer your question :/ Also if I messed up somewhere in AS, my bad :X

ahh..ok now I see (I think) what you want.

on a side note..you can use the preloader I created (latest one is located here)
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/showthread.php?t=749264

its a component..install it..it will be in your components panel.

about your question... there are literally a TON of ways you can approach this.

masks
    arrays
    setIntervals

etc..etc..

does the preloader you want to copy fade into each 'oval/section'? or does it just pop into a darker color?

Cheers BlueHippo & Whispers....will try them and come back if I get stuck!!