dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [as3 game] Colour Chain

[as3 game] Colour Chain

Hi all,

Just wanted to show my latest released game:

Colour Chain

I know it's pretty simple, but it's addictive at the same time

It's written in AS3 and uses the Flint library for the particle effects and TweenLite for block shifting smoothness.

Cheers,

Rich

The Cheeze to Your Macaroni ColbyCheeze's Avatar
    Cool game. I like the particle effects. I'm going to try out the libraries you mentioned on your site...thought I was going to have to build my own particle system but that looks like it is doing you well so yay :P

It's a little too slow paced and the trails a little too "thick".

The game is nicely done but IMO it's too much similar to a gameplay we all now.
    Wow this experiment on your site is beautiful :
    http://www.photonstorm.com/topics/as3/libs

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    It's a little too slow paced and the trails a little too "thick".
    I love the fact it is slow paced and there is no timer. Makes it more enjoyable imho, not all games should be dexterity challenges

Quote Originally Posted by Sietjp
    The game is nicely done but IMO it's too much similar to a gameplay we all now.
    Oh absolutely! I don't claim for a second it is original, but it's only my 2nd game I've made in Flash so I was more interested in the process of making the game rather than innovating. Now I'm really finding my feet with AS3 I'm happy to experiment more.

your game has great transitions and effect detail, I still think the game was predictable(nothing new), the same ol click the groups of colored cubes.
    the "no timer" idea was boring no offense, As a guy who plays a lot of games I like game that's challenging , fun , intense or smart.
    this is my opinion, I don't know, there may be other people that love how this game is build.
    good luck.
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 04-12-2008 at 03:33 AM.

The reason I didn't add a timer is because this type of game with a timer forces the player into clicking without really thinking about it. It basically takes most of the skill away and turns it into a challenge to clear the board before the clock runs out. I went for the opposite to this - the challenge is the highscore league, and I wanted players to have as much time as possible to plan their route to that score.

I'm not saying you're wrong, I appreciate the feedback, just explaining why it plays the way it does. If I had time perhaps I could add a "time attack" mode, so you could pick which one you wanted at the beginning, but I'm already onto finishing my next game now, so I'll add this feature to future games.

Quote Originally Posted by robotz
    IOh absolutely! I don't claim for a second it is original, but it's only my 2nd game I've made in Flash so I was more interested in the process of making the game rather than innovating. Now I'm really finding my feet with AS3 I'm happy to experiment more.
    OK I understand, well you seem to be on the right way, you're ready to work on original games in AS3 now IMO.

I dont think this game needs timer, its better being slow paced.

Developer
    Nice game. I wouldn't go about 'telling' people that it's addictive - I'd let them find that out themselves.

One thing - if you clear one group and then clear another group before the previous group has finished scattering, all of the blocks seem to pause for a little bit before continuing to move.
    now known as dVyper

Professional Air Guitarist Frag's Avatar
    Brain, Body, Clothes, Computer Chair, Room, House, Neighborhood, City, State, Country, Continent, World, Galaxy, Universe, and on?
    I don't know if this is a bug or not, but the score you can get for a single group varies sometimes depending on which block in the group you click. I attached 2 screen shots. One is after clicking the bottom yellow block on the left, and the other is after clicking the bottom yellow block on the right. If this is intended you should put it in the instructions somewhere =)

Anyway, looks very nice, good work.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I never asked for a timer, or frantic gameplay. It's just TOO SLOW. Speed it up so that *IF THE PLAYER CHOOSES TO* they can click quicker. The blocks with trails should animate about 2x the current speed. Try it.

I agree with ray, you should make it faster.

Maybe is just me.. but where is the gameplay? You can just sit with your mouse in one position and click till you are out of the options, move your mouse and do the same... kind of static in my opinion

Keep up!

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Beez
    I never asked for a timer, or frantic gameplay. It's just TOO SLOW. Speed it up so that *IF THE PLAYER CHOOSES TO* they can click quicker. The blocks with trails should animate about 2x the current speed. Try it.
    I'm happy to speed them up, but the blocks with trails cause no delay on clicking the next group - you don't have to wait for them to have vanished before clicking again.

The only thing you do have to wait for is any blocks above the ones you destroyed to fall down into place, which tweens at 0.75 of a second. I could drop that down a bit and see what happens.
    Last edited by robotz; 04-17-2008 at 11:02 AM.

Ok since my last post (yeah, all of an hour ago!) I've updated the game so the blocks drop and collapse faster, the "exploding" blocks now move a bit quicker too, but they also fade faster - you can click through them to pick new chains, so it doesn't obscure that.

The "extra bomb/wildcard" points have been raised to make it a bit harder. You don't get wildcards anymore if you have less than 10% of the grid left to clear. This clears a bug where the game stalled if the last remaining block was white.

I also removed a bug where the "floating points" would steal your mouse click.

So yeah, it can play a lot faster now if you so wish - but it's also more challenging meaning the faster you play, the lower down the highscore chart you'll be.

I'll upload the new release next week when the game goes live anyway.

I like it now. Still feel the trails "get in the way" (could be my old eyes), but I like the pace.

Ok I have adjusted the trails for you now and uploaded a new version. They're now a lot "shorter", and are black, and I changed the explosion radius of the particles so it pushes them away from where you clicked a lot faster/further, so it obscures your view less I feel.

Now add an explosion sound for the bomb. ;-)

Not until I add a "mute" button