A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [PIMP] Fracture 2 : Infection

[PIMP] Fracture 2 : Infection

So, its been a while coming - over a year and a half in fact but another game has finally popped out. Obviously it is a sequel to the original which can be found in my sig and is looking a little rough around the edges..

There are a hell of a lot of improvements though including a re written engine (goes without saying on this board!) a ton of powerups and weapons, obviously new enemies and a far slicker interface as well as it tracking your statistics between games.. i like to think it is just generally more refined and mature.

Click through and give me your worst! (Sorry for the lack of screenies)

fracture2 - crazymonkeygames.com

Or if you have a Kongregate account, the game submits statistics to their servers:

fracture2 - kongregate.com

CONTROLS:

WASD = Shoot In Any Direction
    Arrows = Move In Any Direction
    P = Pause
    Last edited by random10122; 04-08-2008 at 07:40 PM.

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

"2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

the worst - scaling on the menu's

I love it though, great game, nice take on the geometry wars type game, the ink splatters are cool and I love how the enemies spawn out, really nice feel to it all as well. I thought i was going to struggler with the controls, but is nice, its not so easy but not hard as well. Only thing I would like to see is the ink staying on the field permanently, but I guess you've probably done this and found it too much.

good stuff

the menu system is tops though, reminded me of Colin Mcrae rally for some reason
    Last edited by mr_malee; 04-08-2008 at 08:17 PM.
    lather yourself up with soap - soap arcade

very elegant graphics dude. everything seem like its "just right". except for me the controls were a little uncomfortable. i'm not a shooter fan though.
    top job
    Graphics Attract, Motion Engages, Gameplay Addicts
    XP Pro | P4 2.8Ghz | 2Gb | 80Gb,40Gb | 128Mb DDR ATI Radeon 9800 Pro

Really nice. So nice that I can't really think of any advice to mak it better.
    I gave 'ya 5/5 on Kong and favourite'd it.

Retro shooter aren't my ideal kind of game, but I've been REALLY impressed with every retro shooter that's been posted by the people around here.

Viza.

I enjoyed this game a lot. Congrats!

The worst : WASD keys on AZERTY keyboard...

Mr_Malee:

You are right, i did try it but it becomes too difficult to see where you are going and where the enemies are which ends up with frustrating moments when you don't know how you died, never good.

Blink, Viza:

Thanks for the positive comments, the controls are a bit of a marmite thing but hardcore gamers seem to get them immediately and other people it takes a couple of games to get the hang. Mouse just wouldn't cut it on the later levels though.

Sietjp:

Ouch. That just doesn't work at all. I will ensure there is an option for azerty in my next game - which countries is that used in? Just France?

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter

I really like the style with the ink splatters. It was kind of hard to hit things with the 8-directional shooting sometimes, maybe mouse would work better

Yep France and Belgium. Don't know the reason, must be historical and now it's very hard to change. When we buy a keybard in France we don't have the choice, it's always AZERTY. That means millions of AZERTY keyboards around the world, which is not a lot but enough to think about it IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_layout#AZERTY

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Lovely game!

The worst: Bullets fire with an absolute velocity, you should make them fire with a velocity relative to the ship when they launch.

I love the menus, but I think you could improve the text rendering - try anti-alias for animation, or just convert the text to smoothed bitmaps or plain vectors and see which works best.

Keyboard controls - i don't even like wasd on a qwerty keyboard - you could solve a lot of problems by making the keys customisable. Mouse/keyboard control would be even better.

The style of the game is great. Really like the way it plays/feels.

Well done, I liked it!

The absolute speed of the bullets was my biggest issue, there were times when my ship was faster than some of the bullets and I died by getting in front of them. I think it was the shotgun style spreadfire. I kept getting in front of my own shots with that gun.

Style Through Simplicity alillm's Avatar
    Excellent work . A big improvement on the original, and possibly the best arena shmup I’ve played. I think the paint effects and the thought put into the powerups makes it all the more fun. Nice one mate .

Ali

Howdy,

Lesli + Alluvian

Thanks for the feedback, its wierd that you have both brought up the bullets when no one in my testing did! I suppose now i look at it, it is wrong but it does allow for fun like following your bullets while you shoot so that loads hit at once...

alillm

Cheers! Means a lot from someone that has made a few of these games!

It mostly seems to have gone down well, the biggest complaint is the controls but i always knew that would be the case. Providing mouse input as well would just be disappointing though - you would never be able to get scores as high as the keyboard people :-)

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter

Hi, I've been a huge fan of fracture (I even like it more than geometry wars because the controls seem nicer to me) and am glad that you made a sequel.
    Fracture 2's art direction is interesting, although I admit I like Fracture 1's art style/effects a little better, but seeing how this is a sequel there should be a change in style.
    I noticed that you scaled down everything quite a bit in comparison to the original; the ship, enemies, and especially the map seem a lot smaller. The map in this game only takes up the given screen (or flashplayer box), where as the map in the original was a lot bigger and took up more than the given screen/box (maybe both games are still equal in regards to ship:map size ratio?). The big problem I see is with the full screen mode. Notice in the full screen mode the map only takes up a fraction of the screen, the ships/enemies arent much bigger either. Also when you fly around with the ship the background moves around with you (instead of just staying put), this background illuminates your field of view so whenever a part of it moves away from the field the enemies that are past it dissapear. I would like to see the original fracture sizes/scaling in this one.
    I like the idea of powerups, in fracture 1 the laser upgrades were great (but they only went so far) in fracture 2 I have yet to see all of them. However there is a great imbalance with one of the powerup, the one that shrinks the size of the level. As you know this powerup gives you a 20x score multiplier, which in my opinion is really too high. I mean I can get 200k-500k easy with this thing, so the game quickly becomes a test of who can get more of this powerup. I also noticed a glitch with this powerup, when you have this powerup activated while those red square enemies are in the field they quickly become stuck/trapped in the border instead of bouncing off.
    I also noticed that you got rid of the effect that happens when you bounce off the border (the border lights up), I know this is a small thing but it would be a great addition.

The custom control scheme was a nice touch, although I still love the wasd shooting scheme.
    Anyways, despite the little concerns I have this is still a great game, and a huge upgrade from the original Fracture. I'm sure I'll be killing hours upon hours with it. Keep up the good work, and I'll be sure to post more feedback soon!

The Cheeze to Your Macaroni ColbyCheeze's Avatar
    I really enjoyed this. The controls were a bit odd at first, as I am used to mouse control for shooting but it got okay after a while.

There isn't much I can say that hasn't been said. I don't really have any suggestions...just keep up the good work!

Very cool and addictive ..
    You should vectorize your texts ctrl+B or turn them into bitmaps It will make your transitions look better.
    Edit:I think you could add all the splatting effects in a background bitmap, maybe for the next one.

What did you use for those cool splatting effects? It will be a great addition for the "programmer art thread" http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...36#post4035236
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 04-13-2008 at 10:33 PM.

doItLikeThis
    Nice game random! I liked the enemy waves. I am sure my young cousin brothers will be glued to it once I share the link
    -Aditya

awesome game! keeps you plugged! Really!

keep up the great work! your next should not be after another year and a half

Ovidiu

DummyX

Thanks for the signing up to give such in depth feedback, much appreciated! Yes, it has been scaled down as far as i dared, looking back at the original it seemed the enemies were a little too big for the playing area. As far as the fullscreen issues, it really isn't designed to be played this way and i wouldn't recommend it. As you say the enemies are culled outside your field of view as is the background colour so it really doesn't look great!

Neverland

I think the splatters were composites of various images from around the web in photoshop, i made them that long ago its hard to remember! The splatters in the menus however use some excellent brushes i found on deviantart. There are actually very few graphics but it is hard to notice after a bit of random rotation and colour transformation ;-)

Colby, adit_ya_sharma, 0vidiu

Cheers!

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter

What about the texts aren't you going to vectorize them. You should at least try to see how it looks.

dough.

Unfortunately it is too late to change such a small thing now - the game is on well over a hundred websites

I will definitely bear it in mind for the next one though!

fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter