dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Who knows about HDMI / DVI cables?!

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar

Who knows about HDMI / DVI cables?!

Got a Samsung TV with one problem, only 1 HDMI slot. I need 2, one for SKY HD and one for an upscaling DVD player/recorder.

Now I've seen plenty of HDMI to DVI adapters but the TV does not have a DVI port, it does however have a VGA slot.

I can't find an HDMI to VGA adaptor so I'm wondering if the following is possible:

DVD PLAYER -> HDMI CABLE -> HDMI-DVI ADAPTOR -> DVI-VGA ADAPTOR -> 2M VGA PC CABLE(to get past male/female problem) -> VGA SLOT ON TV!

You reckon that'll work? Or will the signal turn to *&$%?

A splitter or a receiver (slightly more expensive) would be the better options. Can't you use component on the DVD player, or is that in use by something else / non-existent?

As for your scheme. I don't think VGA can handle the amount of information passing through an HDMI line. So it might work, or it will look awful. But I've never tried this and could be wrong.

That is THE most long winded way I've ever read.

Dude, it's extremely simple. Buy this - http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?...=14&doy=search

It's an HDMI switch. Cheapest one I could find after 5 minutes of googling for places in UK that have it. I suggest you search around more, I've found some here for around $30 (that's around 15 pounds).

I dont believe that is long winded...why not use the component cables? Seems simple to me... The HDMI splitter could be used as well.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Running Plodding & Limping SpockBert's Avatar
    Cheers guys, like the look of that Maplin HDMI splitter thing, think I'll try that.

Ta

Official Vermont Photo Mod WannaBe_80z's Avatar
    Might as well make it future proof as well and just get a HDMI hub with like 4 ports. Like an AV switch.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

Obviously, the best option is an AV reciever with built in HDMI switching...

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Obviously, the best option is an AV reciever with built in HDMI switching...
    Well, if you get the receiver, you better make sure to get a good one, and some matching B&O's while you're at it, otherwise it's just a waste.

Screw the $30 splitter, go balls-out on this one.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I don't like B&O's - they always sound very tight but not as warm as I prefer. I have KEFs myself, but am a big fan of Bowers & Wilkins...

If you're talking about older B&O's...different story. Their new stuff seems overpriced and underperforming.

I still have a pair of KEF Q 103.3's... but I've become a Paradigm person myself lately. Rubber surrounds, solid wood cabinets, and great neutral sound for what's it worth. And inexpensive.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]