dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The death of the interface.....?

jakob neilson wanted to be the only designer with is crude sense of minimalism that he shoved down on people.

Hasn't taked over the net yep and most likely won't. I wonder if he opens canned goods with his teeth as both can openers and tabs are both interfaces.

Nielson just wanted to line his own pockets.

And he did. His own site broke his own requests and conventions. And the only thing that was minimalist about him... his sense of design. Sorry... but he just really wasn't anything necessary other than probably helping in expediting 508 compliance and other things.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Nielson. What a gomer. www.useit.com

Yeah. That's the type of site I want to use!
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    Nothing physical is intuitive. It takes years to master a spoon.
    No interface can be innovative and intuitive. If it's innovative, people have to learn how to use it, and to be intuitive, people have to be used to it from past experiences. I prefer an intuitive interface over an innovative interface.

Not sure if it's possible for an interface to be truly intuitive. What it sounds like you're looking for is a device which can be predictive and randomly reactive to human input. Of couse this is not possible without the source being sentient. An interface can apear to have limited intuition, however its' limits will be based solely on the parameters of its' developer.

http://www.convergeds.com
    If you perceive life from an artistic perspective, everything is beautiful.

Which returns to my point about jakob neislon and the concept of the interface.

What he wanted to do aside from sell books was dummy down the user experience. When you simply the interface you limit the experience.

Imagine an ipod with one button. as soon as you introduce a button you have
    wait for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

an interface.

If it is a streamlined interface it will have only on off.
    Not being able to select the music you want to play or control the volume because that would be complicating the interface.

People would have to buy as many ipods as songs they wanted to play.
    And would have to deal with only being able to listen to one volume level.

Quote Originally Posted by DNath
    Not sure if it's possible for an interface to be truly intuitive. What it sounds like you're looking for is a device which can be predictive and randomly reactive to human input. Of couse this is not possible without the source being sentient. An interface can apear to have limited intuition, however its' limits will be based solely on the parameters of its' developer.
    I think we are talking about two different types of intuitive. To quote Dictionary.com:

1. perceiving by intuition, as a person or the mind.
    2. perceived by, resulting from, or involving intuition: intuitive knowledge.
    3. having or possessing intuition: an intuitive person.
    4. capable of being perceived or known by intuition.

I'm talking about 4, you're talking about 1. I don't expect the interface to have an intuition of what you want to do, I want exactly the opposite. The interface should do only what you want to. By intuitive I mean that it is obvious how it works the first time you see it. You don't have to resort to trial and failure, because you know how to use it.

Obviously that's not possible in most situations, so a learning curve is expected with any new interface. That means, like Frets is saying, that you need to complicate the interface for it to be useful and just assume the user either learns on their own or has been shown how to use it.