A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: sync of sqllite

sync of sqllite

Does AIR update able to sync a SQLite db used?

up to my .as in code Chris_Seahorn's Avatar
    Syncing remote MySQL with local SQLite is a popular request. You have to code this yourself basically. I made an example last year when I was playing around with "toteNpost" which was the desktop version (AIR/SQLite) of my online Flex3 forum system(MySQL/PHP/Flex3). They had to sync (roughly 22 tables) and it was definitely a learning experience.

Bottom line IMO...this kind of coding is the kind you don't find lying around in source code repositories. It's something you have to code and if you do you most likely won't hand it out since it's going to be code that makes you some dough (but who knows, you may hand it out )

I was thinking so something more like building a simple flex app that edits the sqlite db and then uploads it to a remote server, then the distributed apps check date of files and download new db file if needed.

Oh...horse of a different color. Actually it would make more sense to recompile a master AIR distribution with each new sqlite db. This way you can use the update feature of air to check for an update.

Curious. Is this app using sqlite to only read from? If the end users of this AIR application are using sqlite it assumes they are adding/editing things. How will downloading a new sqlite db accommodate their stored data and not overwrite it or negate it (since it didn't exist in the db you edited with your flex app to create the new) blasting a new db over the top of the old? This is where things become more what I was speaking of above (toteNpost) so it may be I'm just confusing you

End user is read only, I was thinking of the sql as just a convient storage.

I would definitely go with the update then. You create your new db (however) and drop it into the flex projects folder...increment the version number inside the xxx-app.xml file and recompile the master for distribution. As for the specifics of updating itself....there is an example in the "DEVELOPING ADOBE® AIR™APPLICATIONS WITH ADOBE® FLEX™ 3" guide found at adobe in chapter 36.

Thanks Chris