A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Casualty or destiny?

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    The only destiny I know of is we are all going to die.
    Nope. Scientists say in 40-50 years time we will have the capability to download your consciousness into a computer and you will be able to continue conscious thought long after the body dies off. At that point what real life is could be anyone's guess....there are rich people today paying 3k per month for vitamin injections and shots to stay alive long enough to make this a reality.

The more I think about the original post... the more I keep returning to mice in a maze type of mentality. You either learn via repetition and/or routine - which placing your keys in the same place and the moment something changes, you're lost, much like changing the maze and then forcing the mice to use other instincts, thought processes in order to locate the goal.

At that moment of a changed routine and your keys are indeed in a different location; most people will invariably start to retrace their steps... a different process that allows us to try and trace steps by bringing up the multitude of steps that people could have taken when placing down their keys.

As far as that goes... this seems like routine trumps instinct normally, then instinct and an atypical thought-pattern (it's highly unlikely that people tend to trace their steps on each and everything that they do in their daily operations) are other "weapons" at our disposal.

With that said... dunno man. Each time I see "casualty", I think inevitability which to me sounds like destiny in connotation. Personally, I think the original analogy sounds like regular routine vs. broken routine... and a bunch of consequences that are more than likely not related but tend to seem to be observed enough for a serious commonality amongst us all.

Which... given our likewise backgrounds, endeavors and daily routines... is inevitable.

Just my take...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Interesting that those guys talk about Schopenhauer so adoringly. The guy was bigoted toward women and an anti-semitic white supremecist.
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

<3
    Definitely don't believe in destiny.

And that is because....

Wait. Is this supposed to be causality or destiny?

If it's casualty, I may need to change my answer. Those are bad.

<3
    Sh-te, that was meant to be "I definitely don't believe in destiny".

I've been wondering if life or the universe sort of directs you in a certain direction regardless of what your doing, especially recently...let me explain!

At the beginning of march I gave my roommate/landlord 30 days notice that I was moving out, at the time I had not decided where I was going. I live in Los Angeles, and after a few days I finally decided I have had enough of the city and wanted to move home to Virginia, essentially giving up on my career of choice, acting.

A few days later I receive a call from a guy I auditioned for about 3 weeks prior (some non paying film) and he says he would love me to do the film (a small part filmed only on weekends). I say sure because it wouldn't hurt to do one last thing before I leave the west coast. I send an email to my grandfather letting him know I am moving back and look forward to spending time with him, he's happy because he has always wanted me to try acting in my hometown to be closer. Within a day or two of making up my mind to leave LA I get a call from Arclight theaters about a job interview (I applied to their through their website about a month prior), so I decide to go to the interview to get a feel for things. I let them know I am doing a low budget film on the weekends so I won't be available for the first month or so of weekends, but its mandatory to work weekends so I leave without a job.

Needless to say by March 14 I signed a 1 year lease still in LA, I never moved back. After moving I job hunt like crazy, applying everywhere with a "hiring now" sign. I go to many interviews and no one calls me back for employment. I start getting pissed and a little depressed that I can't even get a dead end job, I'm used to rejection from casting directors but thats the nature of the business, not from a job that requires zero intelligence to do.

I give up on job hunting after being denying once again for pacific theaters, the very next day I get a call from a SAG (screen actors guild) franchised agency and they tell me they are interested in representing me theatrically and commercially as an actor (I sent out a truckload of headshots/resumes to agencies).

I sit here now as a represented actor (my third day represented). I don't know how its going to work out, I haven't heard anything from them the last few days. I think its funny how things work out.
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

Hmm. I don't see how that indicates one way or the other...

But, congratulations anyway!

Maybe you can get one of those GI Joe roles they're messing up with. Can you do a Cobra Commander?

perhaps the universe wasn't giving me any 9-5 jobs because it wants me to focus on acting? Thats one way to look at it if you believed stuff like that happens.

thanks!
    Chaos= Religion+Humanity

If life is a series of T junctions, where you can go left or right, after just a few your route is nothing like how it would have been if you had gone the opposite way at any of the turns, so it gets real difficult to believe in any sort of destiny when the permutations are so vast. If you consider for a moment some of the chance meetings in your life, and how easily they might not have happened, and how fundimentally different life would have been.
    Then consider the chance of your parents meeting, and you start to see that life is more like the roll of a dice than any great plan.

doItLikeThis
    This topic, pheww! me and my elder bro had a lot of discussions about this many a times, also topics like if are we controlled by someone else or not and why only a select bunch of people reach at great heights of success and why not other people. Its not that they are really that much gifted, other people could be better, but it turns out this select bunch of people always become the Madonnas and the Micheal Jordans or whatever other famous names of the world. I won't start praying god for making my destiny better and stop doing anything in life, but I won't go ahead and say that such a thing doesn't exist with 100% comfort level either.
    -Aditya