dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stuff White People Like - {Thread Contains Racism}

might as well start a ring of websites. One for each flesh tone.

There's one for things that black folks like... another for things black people like but won't publicly admit.

I hit too many on that list...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

Stoke, about the soccer it does say "Note: Europeans are actually into Soccer and are exempt from this entry, however they are free to use it to their advantage when in North America." at the bottom.

And racial humour is funny. Except white people jokes. That is just totally unacceptable and I'm deeply appalled and offended by it

I must not be white.
    I didn't find myself in any of the subjects. Nor was I particularily amused.

So what do I tell my parents?

Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    So what do I tell my parents?
    Wait until a big family gathering. At dinner tell your parents you've never felt quite comfortable as a white person. Tell them you used to notice the other colors as a kid but felt to much pressure to be a normal white kid.
    Then keep their pain brief and just say it.
    "Mom, dad, I'm <color you identify with>"

pick plaid... pick plaid.

that list isnt complete till they add tiger woods.
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

How come racial steriotyping aimed at me is ok?

Because it' funny and it's healthy to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while?
    "We don't estimate speeches." - CBO Director Doug Elmendorf

Oh really, then you wont mind if I tell you the one about the black bloke, the jew and the muslim who walked into a bar............

If that's what you think this is about, go for it. Don't be scared to speak your mind.

Mom said "make me a Mod" el-Ignoramus's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stoke Laurie
    Oh really, then you wont mind if I tell you the one about the black bloke, the jew and the muslim who walked into a bar............
    Silly Goose, Muslims don't walk into Bars, we order room service instead

For shame!

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    Because it' funny and it's healthy to be able to laugh at yourself once in a while?
    So if I told someone a racist joke about their skin colour I could justify it by saying they should laugh at themselves every once in a while?

Although I think some of the points you guys are making are valid I don't see how something like this (the link posted) sparked off this debate, less than ten of the things on there are true to me and almost none of the given reasons are true. I generally didn't find it funny either (not as in I thought it was rude, it just wasn't comical in the slightest, maybe its aimed at white Americans who would understand it more, as said above).
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

Quote Originally Posted by FlashLackey
    If that's what you think this is about, go for it. Don't be scared to speak your mind.
    Thanks for the permission, but you know I always do. Not a big deal, it's just that over her life is so pc now that communication is so constipated, to the point that reference to anything black in colour from sheep to berries has become almost taboo, so my point is why is white ok if black isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    So if I told someone a racist joke about their skin colour I could justify it by saying they should laugh at themselves every once in a while?
    I can't speak to what the rules of the world are. But, in my view, if the intentions and person are not racist, I don't see anything wrong with it. People do it all the time. As others have pointed out, some of the most popular comedians in the world talk about race constantly.

I think it's worth noting nuance though. There is a difference between culture and skin color. The link posted is about white culture. Things that white people choose to do. A "the black bloke, the jew and the muslim who walked into a bar" type joke is simply picking on a person based on their ethnicity or religion. See the difference?

Anyway, the notion that white people abroad need to be defended from oppressive jokes like this web site is really a joke in itself, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by tidenburg
    I generally didn't find it funny either (not as in I thought it was rude, it just wasn't comical in the slightest, maybe its aimed at white Americans who would understand it more, as said above).
    Judging by the demographics of the negative and positive responses here, this appears to be true.

Quote Originally Posted by Stoke Laurie
    Thanks for the permission, but you know I always do. Not a big deal, it's just that over her life is so pc now that communication is so constipated, to the point that reference to anything black in colour from sheep to berries has become almost taboo, so my point is why is white ok if black isn't.
    I see what your point is. I just don't think the material posted is racist. It's social commentary. Are the jokes at the expense of one race? Yes. But, I don't think it's hateful or implying inferiority of whites.

Can you see how your "calling out" response to this would work in direction of racial sensativity? The very thing you're complaining about?

The site isn't funny. Mildy amusing maybe but far short of making me laugh out loud. The seriousness with which some people are taking this is far more entertaining.

I agree. It honestly didn't even cross my mind when posting it that anyone would take it as racist.

Ok. Closed.

If I see any thread with anything racist in it. You will be banned.

It's just that damn simple.