A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Show Device ID

Show Device ID

Hi Guys,

I am trying to ask the user to confirm their handset model before they purchase something from my flashlite application.

I have the code status = fscommand2("GetDeviceID", "deviceID"); , but how do I put that information into a text box? It will say Hi, please confirm your phone is a _______ thank you.

Any help would be great.

status = fscommand2("GetDeviceID", "deviceID"); // create a variable "deviceID" containing the device ID
    if(status > 0){ // device supports this fscommand
    textbox = deviceID; // set it to a text box
    } else {
    textbox = "cannot determine your device type";
    }

Quote Originally Posted by hp3
    status = fscommand2("GetDeviceID", "deviceID"); // create a variable "deviceID" containing the device ID
    if(status > 0){ // device supports this fscommand
    textbox = deviceID; // set it to a text box
    } else {
    }
    Hi, that worked perfect to get the id number. I then wanted to get the phones Make e.g Nokia N82.

My code is first frame IS
    fscommand2("GetDevice","device");

And on the showphonemakemodel frame my code is

status = "GetDevice", "device";
    //create a variable "deviceID" containing the device ID
    if (status>0) {
    //device supports this fscommand
    textbox = device;
    //set it to a text box
    } else {
    }

there is also a dynamic text box which is named 'device' on this frame.

When I go to the showphonemakemodel frame in the simulator it works fine, I see the phones make and model in the text box, but when I try running it off the phone the textbox just says unknown.

Any ideas?

What phone are you testing with?

not all devices report a value for certain fscommand2s. If status is 0 less for the fscommand2 then the phone does not support it.

Nokia N70, If it does not work with the phone why does it work in device central?

DC is not always accurate compared to devices.

If I recall correctly the N70 does not have flash lite preinstalled, except for a few places in asia. If you are using the developer version of Flash Lite then it may not contain device specific information, which the manufacturer needs to include.

So apart from that way, is there any other way to find out what hadnset and model the user is using? I dont want them to have to enter it manually as it seems a bit silly since they are using the software. Also would you think its a good Idea to create a flashlite application that works on all phones or just stick to one company such as Nokia. Nokia seems to be well tuned with flash lite.

Quote Originally Posted by hp3
    If I recall correctly the N70 does not have flash lite preinstalled, except for a few places in asia. If you are using the developer version of Flash Lite then it may not contain device specific information, which the manufacturer needs to include.
    Sorry its the N73, it had flashlite v1.1 but I installed v.2 and 3beta.

I dont know that there is a simple answer.

One approach is to offer content over the air (wap download) and use a server side script to automatically detect the phone user agent to determine best suited content. The system delivers the content best suited for the phone based upon the phone user agent. You can use the WURFL Flash lite database to help with this.

http://wurflpro.com/

For side loaded content, somehow the user will need to provide some information about their phone before downloading to suited content their PC.