dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why the authors are blamed.

Why the authors are blamed.

I find that casual games developed by amateur developers are blamed by some of the members, and the games are given very low ratings, even though these games were published after a due approval process by the flash portals. Some of the offending adjectives given are, junk, lousy, crap, etc. These games are not developed overnight, and without any hard work. To make them bug free, proper action script has to be developed, and the graphics required are to be drawn with the best of the ability of the author. I assume that the reviews are written by game developers, who know the strenuous work that goes in developing a game. Constructive criticism to improve a game is OK. But, outright condemnation is uncalled for, unless the game was a stolen one.
    Further, you cannot compare such games with full-fledged games published in major flash portals, where the games are developed by a group of professional AS writers, graphic artists, and music/sound artists, who may take any thing from six months to an year to develop a full game.
    Also most of the games published here may not have any commercial value.
    Leave a comment! | Share this!
    Last edited by Eager Beaver; 04-18-2008 at 12:59 PM.
    <signature removed by admin>

I rate this post a D+. The plotline lacks the nuance of a Fable or Starcraft Broodwars, and the graphics are primitive at best.

I don't know, I thought the beaver was pretty well done, almost photorealistic. It was definately poorly animated though.

Eager, could you give some background on this post? It seems to have sprung up out of nowhere? Are you referring to posters on this board, or people who post comments to games on web portals, or all of the above?

Not only has it sprung up without context, but he doesn't even bother saying WHAT authors are blamed for. Lowering standards? Lowering prices? Global warming? What??

6 months to a year with a huge team to make the better Flash games? I don't think so.

There's nothing wrong with calling crap crap.

I'm pretty sure somebody called his game crap ( what else would trigger this post )

If EA games costing $10 000 000 to develop can be called crap, then I'm sure you can expect no budget flash game will, at least occasionally, be called crap or worse.

Student
    the thing with BB´s is that usually every voice is equal (everyone can rant, critizie, show, pimp stuff). What´s different of course are often the intentions, motivations, expierence, background and quality- but imo. that can also be a good thing.
    Learn from one part, teach and help the other part.

Reply to all buddies:
    I am not against criticism, but only against the language used for reviews.
    Why cant we be a little gentle, a little empathetic, and more than that a little guiding.
    When we review we expect the moon, and if not so resort to foul language.
    I don’t want to name the portals, or forums, which publish such reviews, as it may be against press freedom, or freedom of expression, or fundamental rights.
    Some think: If I am reviewing a game I want to convey, “Now I got you, you SOB”.
    Nothing can be achieved with this attitude.
    <signature removed by admin>

Junior Senior
    Maybe you should spend less time at newgrounds and more time at, say, jayisgames?
    Signature

After a couple of "this game is gay" type comments you get used to it :P

Knows where you live
    The internet and trolls are inseparable.
    I will point out that if you are getting a significant of "This game sucks" type comments, it probably does, no matter how much time you put into it.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

The Cheeze to Your Macaroni ColbyCheeze's Avatar
    What's worse is when your game gets basically all good reviews but clearly it isn't popular...how the hell am I supposed to make it better??

http://www.cheezeworld.com/games/breakball.html

please hound me...it was my first game.

Beaver if you are referring to your own game, my best advice is to simply stop associating and identifying with your game. Your game is not you. It is simply something you created. Nobody is criticizing you as a person if they think your game is dumb. It simply is what it is.
    Also...do you have some links or examples of what you are talking about?

Examples of what he's talking about can be found at the site that is linked in his signature: gamesmostwanted.com

From what I can tell, this site is the MST3K of flash games.

Quote Originally Posted by slight
    Maybe you should spend less time at newgrounds and more time at, say, jayisgames?
    Exactly.

I started making games for Newgrounds when I was a newb 4 years ago they blammed my first two games the first one done overnight ,the next one done in a week . This gave me motivation to keep on, and improve.
    I passed the next years practicing, making game engines, programming.
    both games had comments like "worst shooting game ever". The comment was for the game, not me. Anyway I can't stand newgrounds games anymore they're stupid, I only go there every once in a while to rate some videos and have fun.

Eager "Why cant we be a little gentle, a little empathetic, and more than that a little guiding."
    This is as imposible as making an elephant and a pig have babies together. You can't change the way people think or respond unless you're Hitler, Mozart , or Oprah.
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 04-19-2008 at 03:31 AM.

I'm curious
    Quote Originally Posted by WesIsGood
    Examples of what he's talking about can be found at the site that is linked in his signature: gamesmostwanted.com
    From what I can tell, this site is the MST3K of flash games.
    LOL
    What is the expansion of MST3K?
    If you are blaming the site as a whole, EB is 100% correct! And that’s exactly what he is conveying.
    Don't hate! Love!

Write a game that YOU want to play, do it as well as you feel you want to, and release it when you are happy with what you've achieved. Take feedback from people you trust/respect, and ignore the rest.

There will always be haters. If you're in this for the money, then you need to listen to a balanced cross-section of the comments. If you're in this for fun, then quite frankly f**k them all!

"quite frankly f**k them all!"

Golden advice. With doing work for gimme5 I've had to get used to seeing my games on portals, and seeing them slagged off badly.
    It really burnt me at first, but now I'm pretty numb to it. No matter how good the game someone will give it a 1/5 and call it gay.

As a side note, it's always assumed that newgrounds is the worst for that, but I've found there are a lot more valid comments posted there. There is still sweary pointless posts, such is life, but the good ones are really good.
    Kongregate on the other hand seems to be populated with people who either want to be developers themselves, or people who want to be Jay.
    For example, with LovedUp I had someone give it 1/5 because I removed the right mouse menu, and he went on to tell me that he couldn't covert it to low quality and because of that I obviously didn't know what I was doing, and deserved the 1 out of 5. Fantastic.
    Speaking of LovedUp, someone actually posted a death thread on the g5 comments.

( The best comment ever was for Tonypa's blockarelli on Kong,

"SPEAK ENGLISH YOU RETARD, THIS IS AMERICA!!!!!!

That's who we're targeting games at. Who get to pass comments on them in public :S )

I really couldn't care less, it's possibly annoying if you were making your money from ad revenue, and some little dick somewhere could actually affect your earnings from a bad review, but in the grand scheme of things I wouldn't worry about it.

Squize.

lol, I stopped reading comments in Kong after that one (and dont think I will put more games there). On the good side, I am very happy with people in Nonoba.

I've been off Kong ( Sorry, "The youTube for Flash games" ) for a long while now.

There are too many games for too few players, certain games seem to be permanently fixed to the front page, and the amount they give to "winning" games is just an insult ( If a site like Armour offered the same in one of their comps. we'd all be flaming the hell out of them ).
    Then you've got what feels like 90% of all users only wanting to play Tower Defence games and just being vocal over the tiniest things ( I've seen games marked down for not having medals or whatever Kong call them, yet as a developer you can't add them in, Kong allow you if they want them added ).

Where I'm working is very commercial though, so I have no say where my stuff goes any more ( Even having one of the mansion games on Miniclip, and I vowed I'd never have anything of mine on their site ever again ), I'm just a whore, so I'll still see the great and the good giving my games 1/5 'cause there's no mute button or a pink sprite obviously means the games gay ( Obviously ).

bonuslevel.org looks interesting though, I'd like to read a separate thread about that mate

Squize.

Im a rag doll
    I wonder why the standards of reviews of music, literary works, paintings, cinemas, photography, and so on are more civilized, and polite/polished than flash game reviews.
    Is it because the technology is new, easy to learn, and within reach of many with
    little talent? Still as a group we can build up a better image, which helps everybody.
    Regarding ads this has to still to catch up. I see mostly ads of flash games portals, and not many of consumer goods, computers, electronics, gents & ladies dresses, etc.
    I think there should be a major boost in advertising before the game start, like in the TV channels. This builds up the image of game portals, and developers. This also gives encouragement to good games with more revenue through ads. This some how is not catching up and general public may be thinking it is a waste of time to play games on line.
    Let us be friends.