dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 65

Thread: Why the authors are blamed.

  1. #21
    Knows where you live
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    944
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky Rose
    I wonder why the standards of reviews of music, literary works, paintings, cinemas, photography, and so on are more civilized, and polite/polished than flash game reviews.
    They aren't.
    Look at reviews of music videos on youtube and similar places. If you are reading reviews from a magazine or a news site, of course they are going to be civil. If you are going to places like newgrounds naturally you are going to get a substantial share of negative reviews.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

  2. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    146
    The anonymity of the internets is what makes the flash game reviews so horrible.

    People who comment on art and movies in magazines and newspapers actually have to attach their name to what they say.

  3. #23
    Senior Member tonypa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Estonia
    Posts
    8,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinky Rose
    Regarding ads this has to still to catch up. I see mostly ads of flash games portals, and not many of consumer goods, computers, electronics, gents & ladies dresses, etc.
    I think there should be a major boost in advertising before the game start, like in the TV channels. This builds up the image of game portals, and developers. This also gives encouragement to good games with more revenue through ads.
    Adobe already has "ads in PDF" beta program, I would not be surprised if they add similar thing in Flash too.

  4. #24
    Senior Member random10122's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Sheffield, UK
    Posts
    1,747
    must.. avoid.. ranting about kong.. (someone want to make another therad for that?!)


    But on topic, what everyone has said so far is exactly right and unfortunately it is just the nature of the internet. My games have had some pretty horrible comments, although that isn't as annoying as the ones that mark them down for 'not having badges' (out of your control) or 'not being able to swap the buttons' (when the option is there and mentioned in the instructions!)

    fracture2 - the sequel
    fracture - retro shooter
    blog - games, design and the rest

    "2D is a format, not a limitation" -Luis Barriga

  5. #25
    Senior Member realMakc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver
    I am not against criticism, but only against the language used for reviews.
    Why cant we be a little gentle, a little empathetic, and more than that a little guiding.
    Hey there.

    I am the most infamous at some places for giving people "crap"-like comments and insults, so I guess I can comment this "from the other side". Personally, I always find it funny how people give preference to the tone of comment before taking into account actual content of comment.

    There is no any more effective way of saying that your thing sucks than actually saying "your thing sucks". This is what these words are there for. I mean, come on, these are just words someone typed with their keyboard 1000 miles away from your place, what's the big deal? Accidentally, "crap" has a bit less characters to type than "you know you could give your thing a bit more effort", and so it has more chances to be actually typed.

    Then, if I would not want people saing my thing sucks, I could just not show that to people - problem solved. So, why do we even put our stuff online for others to see? Why things we learned from doing something aren't enough themselves already? Why do we care what others have to say? Is it, you know, because somewhere deep inside we are still those little boys who need loving father to tap on our shoulder and demonstrate some appreciation? Or is it because we need to know if we move in right direction? In case 2, "crap" is clear sign that we move in wrong direction, and so it should be quite easy to just accept it.... But, in case 1, I think the discussion has to be taken offline, to, you know, a comfort of specialist office.

    I know it is easy for me to say, when they didn't say that to me. But every time they do, I just ask myself above question. Sometimes it helps.
    Last edited by realMakc; 04-20-2008 at 07:43 AM.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

  6. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    150
    My favorites are the ratings threats, they both inspire and annoy:

    1) If you just added ... I would have given you a 10
    2) I see a big problem ... once you fix it I will give you 10 for now you get a 0
    3) This game is a total copy of X, be more original 0/10
    4) It says server down I couldn't play it you get a 0 (multiplayer)
    5) I did all that work and it didn't give me a badge (kong)

  7. #27
    Wait- what now? tidenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    1,472
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonypa
    On the good side, I am very happy with people in Nonoba.
    Heh, I just saw your OMG the bugs are coming (different graphics?) a little while ago and i'm glad too see some FK faces over there now other than just me and 404, but still, the site is just the same as anywhere else.
    Very often there are people who will rate down a game just because it is a casual one, on my Podz game i've had many "thats to simple ZOMG #@!*&!!" and other people, mainly my target audience, like the simplicity which it has to offer.
    @EB
    If the comment offers up no constructive criticism then just ignore it, even then people want your game to be somthing it wasn't made to be. Filter out the crap, most people don't have a clue what they're talking about.
    Last edited by tidenburg; 04-20-2008 at 05:11 PM.
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

  8. #28
    It's true..I brought sexy back smith1302's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    here
    Posts
    343
    The people on kong are terrible. It's useless reading their comments, once I had somebody give me a 1/5 because they thought play was spelled plaiy, and said I need to work on my spelling..
    Hey check out my arcade sites!
    Ninja Games | WW2 Games

  9. #29
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    Weird, I found the people on kongregate gave me pretty good reviews compared o, say, armorgames. It was a "cute" puzzle game, and everyone on armorgames hated it, but everyone on kongregate liked it or gave constructive criticism... And on newgrounds it hardly got any reviews, but the ones it did get were pretty good.

  10. #30
    Senior Member realMakc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall_X
    Weird, I found the people on kongregate gave me pretty good reviews compared o, say, armorgames. It was a "cute" puzzle game, and everyone on armorgames hated it, but everyone on kongregate liked it or gave constructive criticism... And on newgrounds it hardly got any reviews, but the ones it did get were pretty good.
    so you are saying, reviews were good because reviewers liked it?
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

  11. #31
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    They were positive or constructive - a lot more useful and civilized than the reviews on AG.
    Last edited by tonypa; 04-21-2008 at 03:11 PM.

  12. #32
    Senior Member realMakc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    915
    but is **** any less informative than "I didnt like it, sorry"? it is quite same message, imho.
    Last edited by tonypa; 04-21-2008 at 03:11 PM.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

  13. #33
    Half Empty happinessSam's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    London
    Posts
    442
    Sorry to be a downer, but if 12 year olds calling you names and saying your flash games suck bothers you you should stop making them. It will only give you ulcers. This goes for pretty much any creative endeavour on the internet. Make flash games that you like and don't worry about anyone else.
    Last edited by tonypa; 04-21-2008 at 03:12 PM.

  14. #34
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    Quote Originally Posted by realMakc
    but is *** any less informative than "I didnt like it, sorry"? it is quite same message, imho.
    Yeah, they're both uninformative and I personally don't understand why anyone would spend their time writing something like that. And if you do take the time to tell someone you didn't like it, why not say it in a polite manner?
    Not that I mind terribly, I don't really care about reviews, they don't affect me personally, but I just thought it was weird that everyone seems to have the experience that on kongregate the review(er)s are terrible, and in my experience the people there seemed more helpful/intelligent. That's all I was saying.
    Last edited by tonypa; 04-21-2008 at 03:13 PM.

  15. #35
    Senior Member realMakc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    915
    Quote Originally Posted by Fall_X
    if you do take the time to tell someone you didn't like it, why not say it in a polite manner?
    But why do? Isn't it sort of symmetric question? When there are two same apples on the table, you aren't going to care about your choise, you will just grab one. Same here, if insults come to my mind first, they are going to be used.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

  16. #36
    Trainee coder Viza's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Melbourne, Down under
    Posts
    513
    Fall_X, I've actually had a similar experience with Kongregate thus far. Pretty much all the people who left a comment were polite, and many offered suggestions or praise. This really surprised me, and what was even more surprising was that I got a much better reception there than at jayisgames.com...

    Though, I've seen some other comments on more popular games at Kong, and noticed that the majority of reviewers were simply douche bags. My experience was probably rare, and would've been much worse if it had been properly featured on the front page (and the bad reviews from jayisgames.com were likely due to the game being an older version with lots of features missing and a fair few bugs... so I don't blame the crowd there for their comments.

    As many have already pointed out, you can't take these things to heart. They're only proving how illiterate they are by posting pointless comments, and you should only be listening to the constructive feedback.

    Btw, that's hilarious HappinessSam.

    Viza.

  17. #37
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    But why do? Isn't it sort of symmetric question? When there are two same apples on the table, you aren't going to care about your choise, you will just grab one. Same here, if insults come to my mind first, they are going to be used.
    So you're asking me why people should be polite to eachother? I don't know, maybe because it's more pleasant for everyone involved?

    Again, I don't mind the reviews at all, I'm geting paid and I'm getting enough good reviews, and all this is beside my original point (which was basically that in my experience kongregate wasn't that bad compared to others) but if you've had any kind of education, surely you can see that respecting others has its benefits? Even if you don't like or even disrespect the results of someone's efforts, there's no reason why you should not respect the person, and act accordingly. It is a fact that some people or more sensitive to critiscism, so why not be considerate of that?

    Plus, if you post reviews like that, well, it looks pretty dumb. But I guess being dumb is cool these days.

  18. #38
    Senior Member realMakc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    915
    I get your point about kong reviews.

    Still, "being dumb" is simply an expression of your feelings towards reviews a person gives, and has therefore more to do with you yourself than with target person (mind you, not "you are dumb", but "you dont like negative reviews").

    I do, in fact, ask why be polite. In theory, there are benefits in a dozen of unrelated cases; in this specific practical case of internet reviews, there are no benefits, hence people are free to ignore morality. Unlike above-mentioned magazine reviews, where people attach their names, getting payed for it, etc. This is perfectly logical, and in direct correspondence with experiment/observation (real life review cases that are topic of this thread). You, on the other hand, insist that in your pink dreamworld people should generalize "polite for benefits" rule and apply it where it is, in fact, not applicable; that is, I will go here as far as to suggest that you demand illogical behaviour / irrationality. Surprize: sometimes people do not act by momentum and do stop doing things (such as being polite) when doing it is no longer necessary.

    Oh well... I do argue for the sake of argument here, but this itself doesnt make my point invalid.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

  19. #39
    crossconscious
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Belgium
    Posts
    1,188
    Still, "being dumb" is simply an expression of your feelings towards reviews a person gives, and has therefore more to do with you yourself than with target person (mind you, not "you are dumb", but "you dont like negative reviews").
    I never said they are dumb, I said it makes them look dumb. And it's not that I don't like negative reviews, I just don't understand why anyone would bother writing one without any constructive criticism. If it were me, and I don't like a certain game, I'd either find something I do like, or I would offer some advice if I feel I have something to say that might help. Just saying "this sucks" or even the more polite "I didn't like it" is just pointless. But hey, I don't mind, I just don't get it. I personally have better things to do than post reviews like that (such as arguing with you about it )

    I do, in fact, ask why be polite. In theory, there are benefits in a dozen of unrelated cases; in this specific practical case of internet reviews, there are no benefits, hence people are free to ignore morality. Unlike above-mentioned magazine reviews, where people attach their names, getting payed for it, etc. This is perfectly logical, and in direct correspondence with experiment/observation (real life review cases that are topic of this thread). You, on the other hand, insist that in your pink dreamworld people should generalize "polite for benefits" rule and apply it where it is, in fact, not applicable; that is, I will go here as far as to suggest that you demand illogical behaviour / irrationality. Surprize: sometimes people do not act by momentum and do stop doing things (such as being polite) when doing it is no longer necessary.
    Well, I don't exactly live in a pink dreamworld, I just think it doesn't hurt to respect others. And off course, being anonymous gives you the luxery of beign rude, but that does not mean you have to do it. I'm only asking for illogical behaviour if the reason people are polite in real life is out of fear for consequences.

    Don't get me wrong, I'm no always polite, I don't always have patience... I just don't see the point of writing such reviews.

    Oh well... I do argue for the sake of argument here, but this itself doesnt make my point invalid.
    Nothing wrong with that in my book

  20. #40
    Senior Member realMakc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    915
    I'm only asking for illogical behaviour if the reason people are polite in real life is out of fear for consequences.
    have you heared about recently popped up "monkeysphere" idea? original author gives an interesting example, comparing people in cars driving by and people in same elevator with you. google it up, if you want, sort of relevant to discussion.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  




Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width

HTML5 Development Center