A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [Complete]: Wheekling

[Complete]: Wheekling

Finished new game based on the similar turning wheels idea as High Wheels and Geartaker:

http://www.tonypa.pri.ee/wheekling.html

Pumpkin Carving 2008 ImprisonedPride's Avatar
    Very fun spin on things! Really enjoyed this one but I just suck at these gear games. Only thing I'd like to see is independent scrolling when the ball/guy moves to the front(right) side of the screen without hitting a gear, that way it could potentially keep going on and on instead of bouncing back. That aspect kind of conflicts with the scrolling one. Nice job though.
    The 'Boose':
    ASUS Sabertooth P67 TUF
    Intel Core i7-2600K Quad-Core Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz Overclocked to 4.2GHz
    8GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
    ASUS ENGTX550 TI DC/DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 1GDDR5 (Overclocked to 1.1GHz)
    New addition: OCZ Vertex 240GB SATA III SSD
    WEI Score: 7.6

I have a strange relationship with this game. On the one hand I found it a bit slow and slightly frustrating, but on the other hand I played it for quite a while and I did find it compelling.

A few things that (for me anyway) could turn this from a decent game to a really good one.
    Faster difficulty progression and more visual feedback on it. The difficulty curve is quite shallow, and apart from the wheels spinning faster I couldn't see much to tell me I was progressing. A colour change or some other obstacles as you progress would have made it seem more like I was getting somewhere, leading on to...
    Some irregular wall shapes. If you gradually introduced obstacles along the wall that mean you don't just bounce along the x and y axis it would make the game get harder and more interesting. I've read your vectors tutorial so I know it would be easy for you.
    A way to speed up the game if wanted. Towards the beginning I was getting frustrated waiting for the slow big wheels to turn and for the guy to finish his flight. If I could have held down the space bar and doubled the speed it would have got rid of that.
    Let me view the high scores without playing through.

Mostly it's really fun though.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Tony, this is brilliant, strangely addictive.

Like Sam, I think there's more you can do with this... The basic gameplay is perfectly executed, but there's loads in the way of features you can add. Also, I'm wondering whether you could have four way scrolling, rather than just one.

Interesting that this again gets "too slow" comment, same I had with Cobacoli. I kind of like to just watch and wait for things to happen. Then again, maybe you are playing it with FF (which is awfully slow).

I originally had the difficulty pumped up much faster (yeah, the wheels simply rotate faster) but then I had feeling it ends too fast. Was hoping it will be playable even for non-pros.

It's quite addictive. For me it was not clear at first that the goal was actually the dots and the not the wheels (like in highwheels).
    Is an infinite loop possible? I mean a path where the ball never touches a wheel ?

Is an infinite loop possible? I mean a path where the ball never touches a wheel?
    Mathematically, it shouldn't be. I believe that there are two options for any path in an enclosed space like that (for a rectangle I know it's true, but I suspect it is true of any shape): Either (1) the ball will eventually return to its start position, or (2) the ball will never return to its start position, but will, given infinite time, pass through every point in the interior of the shape.

In case (1) it hits the wheel it started on. In case (2) it hits every other wheel.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    I agree with Wes.

It's important that the scenery stays the same whilst the ball is in motion. The scrolling only happens in between shots, otherwise an infinite loop would be possible because case (1) wouldn't always hold.

I too think wes is right, you will eventually return to the starting wheel (if you miss all other wheels).

Yeah, Wes is right. Wes is great, you guys. Three cheers for Wes!

Good presentation as always, but something is amiss!

I just don't find it very compelling, it felt like you could play the first few seconds of the game and not experience anything new from there on out. I don't know how this could be fixed, but right now I just don't find it to have that special addictive quality it should. Then again, maybe I'm just grumpy right now.

FK founder & general loiterer Flashkit's Avatar
    I like it. simple clever.
    Regards Mark Fennell - Flash Kit Founder, general loiterer
    -------------------------------
    I Hate Zombies - iPhone Game | markfennell.com

One of my in progress game is pretty similar to this, but different enough to not step on toes or look like a copycat.

I like the game, think it was very well implemented.

Is the level designed by you, or random? Is there an end?

I am trying to decide in mine if I want to do random levels to increase playability after a player wins. Or if I want to make a whole bunch of levels and then randomly choose them (My game is definately winnable).

This is all randomly generated and you cant win. Thats where it also differs from GearTaker and High Wheels, those are both based on pre-defined level designs.

Hmmm, I find the wheels turn a bit to slow for me, a boost button would be nice. The gameplay is solid and the graphics are polished aswell, although I didn't enjoy it as much a gear taker (which this reminded me of), the achievements are definitely enough to make me play it anyways ^^,
    "I'd only told them the truth. Was that so selfish? Our integrity sells for so little, but it is all we really have. It is the very last inch of us, but within that inch, we are free."

I dont understand what causes loss of a life. Is it hitting a wall? (If so, then flash it red or something). Is it moving to a gear without picking up a ball? Have some sort of visual clue about what's happening.

"You lose 1 life if no dots are picked durning the jump"