A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Symbol location problem

steals free argos catalogues

Symbol location problem

Right well.. how do I describe this problem..

You create a symbol, and inside it you make a square of size 64x64. You move this square to -32 within the symbol so it is in the centre of the symbol.

Then you add the symbol to the main canvas, and move it to (256,256) - the part of the symbol that is actually on (256,256) is the top left corner of the square, not the centre of the symbol! WHY?

I'll show you what I mean with pictures:

This is what it looks like when the square is at (256,256):

The blue dot is the point (256,256)

This is what I think it SHOULD look like:

I could have sworn that it used to work like that, but I don't have a clue why it's being so annoying now or how to fix it.
    This problem is screwing up my 3D stuff - any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

P.S. I'm using MX2004
    Last edited by -AJRAD-; 04-26-2008 at 09:18 PM.

AJRAD,

I do believe you might not be setting the "Registration" point correctly. It sounds like you are setting (or it's defaulting) to the top left hand corner. You would need to set it to the center. The dialog window should appear when you convert a shape to a symbol. Otherwise, I believe you can access it through the library. Hope that helps.

Mo

Nope, look at the first picture - the registration point is in the centre of the shape.
    I've tried again a few times just to make sure but it does the same thing.

Also, the shape DOES scale and rotate around the registration point - only the location uses the top left.
    Last edited by -AJRAD-; 04-27-2008 at 08:42 AM.

it depends on the position on the contents of the movieclip when created. if the movieclip's contents are aligned to the top left corner, that becomes the registration point. when you place that movieclip on the stage and click on it the registration point will be in the center. to fix it, edit the movieclip and place the contents in the center. this will place the registration point in the center when it's on the stage.
    Last edited by EQFlash; 04-27-2008 at 09:35 AM.
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Yep, the registration point is definately in the centre of the object.

is that where you want it?
    If you don't think you're going to like the answer, then don't ask the question.

Erm..
    The registration point is where I want it, but where the symbol is placed on stage does not correspond to the registration point for some reason.

inside a movieclip the zero is located in the center of it's stage. on the main stage the zero located at the top left hand corner. so if you place a movieclip that is centered to it's stage i.e. in the middle of the stage inside itself you gonna have a different registration point on the main stage, because inside the movieclip zero is in the middle and to the left of zero is negative and to the right is positive, whereas on the main stage zero is the top left corner and it counts from there to the width and height of the stage.
    i hope i explained it right. if you click on a movieclip, on the main stage and look in the properties panel at X and Y it will indicate where on the stage it is.