dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Something.

[WIP] Something.

http://www.wesisgood.com/slidez/

Just posting this because I've been working on it lately and would like some feedback. Obviously it's not close to being a real game yet, but I think it's on the way. Mostly I'm looking for suggestions on what type of gameplay you think would go best with this, or ideas for weapons, different interactions, etc. Basically this is a framework for a game and I'm trying to find the right details with which to fill it, so any and all suggestions are welcome.

Note that there are still bugs, but it is playable.

While I'm here, I might as well mention another game which I would like feedback on. You will notice some subtle similarities between the two which I don't think I'll have to point out.

http://www.wesisgood.com/raftingenthusiast/index2.html

Also note that there are some relatively big features that I only use once or twice, but could be useful in a game. For example, everything is time based, and every weapon has the ability to slow down time as it fires. Really it just means I can go in to slowmo or ...fastmo whenever I feel like it. Only the orange laser actually has this ability turned on, but it's just a matter of setting one variable and any other the other weapons could have it as well. Also (and maybe this doesn't seem like a big deal) the whole stage can be scaled/rotated however I want, so there can be zooming in and out without any issue, whenever I feel like zooming in/out. I can make enemies follow the ground if I want to. So if you think I could take advantage of any of these in some way, let me know.

I can also make any given platform move up/down side/side whatever, but they can't rotate, and I don't think they will ever be able to, for reasons that are uninteresting to explain. So, none of the platforms are moving in this example, but they could be.
    Last edited by WesIsGood; 04-30-2008 at 09:07 PM.

Student
    perhaps a game with a whip?- or some mechanics so that you hit a obstacle in a certain way (skill based game) like with the side or the tip of the whip.

can you make it faster,- so that it actually feels more like a natural chain (like 60 fps and some more intense values for your IK chain)?

Did you try the other weapons, or just the chain? Also did you try running/jumping around? The mouse wheel or the spacebar will change weapons, and the arrow keys move.

I have definitely thought about implementing more complicated chain/whip type behaviors, but I'm not sure how big a role I want it to play in the game. Do you find the chain particularly enjoyable?

Elvis...who tha f**k is Elvis? phreax's Avatar
    Haha, I didn't get that you have more weapons on my first try! Definitely loads of potential in some of those!
    Streets Of Poker - Heads-Up Texas Hold'em Poker Game

Yeah I suspected people might not realize that... So I added the spacekey listener instead of just the mouse wheel. And I changed the starting weapon from chain to bow and arrow. I think the trick is, you can use the chain without ever actually clicking on the screen. Since you have to click to use the bow and arrow, people will actually activate the keyboard event listeners now.

Student
    wow that´s a lot I missed there my first time
    sounds like a action game with lots of weapons maybe even power ups

A LOT of problems with falling through the world for me with this version of your blob engine. I like the game idea, and think the whip, slowmo laser, and grappling hook are particularly fun, especially grappling the clouds, but when flyinging around with the hook I almost always ended up in fast freefall and would fly through your ground collision detection. Maybe that needs more iterations in each frame.

Definately some potential there though, I like the creative weapons, although I was confused on what most of the lasers did, one repelled clouds, one blew them up, the one did the slowmo and blew them up, the others confused me.

As far as game type? The grapple would make me want to go puzzle platformer where part of the game is figuring out how to use your funky movement tools to get through the level, and the rest of the game is shooting stuff. The chain makes me think indiana jones, I can't help it. The two go great together. Not sure what that slowmo laser would do in there, but it could be an artifact that is found in the game I guess. The guns would also fit in a Tomb Raider/Pitfall type of genre. Just the 'feelings' I got while playing the tech demo.

I think any problems related to falling through the ground when grappling probably come from me not telling you how to use the grappling hook. Note that this is also the platformer version of the engine, so you can jump through the blobs if you come from the bottom.

When you're using the laser-like grappling hook, you need to hold the button down otherwise you'll freefall. Only let go when you're ready to stop grappling.

The grappling arrows are different. You have to click a second time to disengage those.

I just added these grapplers today, so there are lots of error checking conditions that I haven't checked yet.

As for the lasers, the two you didn't mention just change the colors of the clouds. The white one makes them white. The black one makes them black.

Thanks for the suggestions. I suspect it will end up similar to what you're suggesting. If I ever finish it. This part of making games is always the hardest for me. I can never move from technical demo to actual game. (not that this technical demo is even finished yet anyways)

Anyone who saw this earlier and looks again, you'll notice that there's now beautiful grass all over the place. This is all placed dynamically using the data my blob engine calculates. I figure it will be useful for texturing? I've never done texturing, but it seems that people like it. But really the grass is just a symptom of a larger improvement, which is the fact that now I'm storing all points and things in a large BigAssCanvas bitmapdata thing. I suspect that if I do this right, I can probably remove all hitTests from this game entirely, and do all my calculations based on the bitmap. This should be more efficient, correct?

Here's a more platform-esque style, but still the same map. I don't really like it this way, but if the level was designed for it, it might be better: http://www.wesisgood.com/slidez/index2.html

Edit: Upon further inspection, I have decided that I actually do like it this way. Somewhat. It's amazing what a few stupid little graphics can do.
    Last edited by WesIsGood; 05-01-2008 at 05:46 PM.

Student
    you mentioned texturing,- maybe have a glance at this one:
    http://board.flashkit.com/board/show...7&postcount=10
    and a earlier post within that one for resources

Yes that's the post that I originally got the word from. What I could do is get the game to produce that same effect dynamically. Instead of sprinkling grass on the path, I could sprinkle texture. Then I could just mask with a copy of the blob.

I think I may have decided on a direction to go with this. I'd like some opinions.

Well, first check the most recent version http://www.wesisgood.com/slidez/

It's important to note that the most powerful aspect of this game is the ease with which I can create new levels. It's almost trivial. I could make dozens of levels a week if I wanted. So it's in my best interests to make this a game that has some staying power, where the challenge and fun is directly linked to the map that is currently being played. So, I think that I'm going to weapons placed strategically around each map, to help the player navigate the course and satisfy certain requirements. Killing certain things, picking up specific items, unlocking doors, etc. It will be similar to N in this way. I'm going for very high speed gameplay (with breaks when using slow motion items - the chain now has slow motion if you hold down the mouse), so I think I will make obstacles which tend to kill you if you stand still. I'll probably add a small mini-map to one of the corners, as well. I have a lot of cool weapons and gadgets already in the game, and I think they will work well with this sort of setup. (If you try the game, make sure you know how to use the silver bow and arrow. It's probably the most fun/useful/important.)

Yes, no?

Student
    your most powerfull aspect is however almost killing my borwser each time,- veery big lag each time it parses brute force-ish the level.
    Would it be possible that you create the calculation on your computer and store that array in a swf or in the flash movie?- that would certainly speed things up alot.

That's not actually the calculation at all. I do do the calculation before hand. All of the data is stored in text files on my website, and downloaded to the game. The actual calculation takes like 10 minutes for a map of that size. What is killing your browser is planting all of the grass and slime and whatnot on the blobs. I already split it up so that it does it a little each frame for about 30 frames, but I guess that's not enough. I'll split it up a bit more.

EDIT: And there's something else killing your browser also, but I don't remember at the moment what it is. This program has gotten complicated. I think it might just be downloading the files that is doing it for some reason. Something related to it, at least. I'm going to take a look at it. But anyways, I spread out the grass planting, is it any less painful now?

EDIT:EDIT: Ha. I think I know what it is. I think parsing the text files is causing the slowdown. That should give you some idea as to the magnitude of these calculations. All the game is doing is reading the results, and it almost dies. Ah well, I'll correct it somehow.
    Last edited by WesIsGood; 05-02-2008 at 09:16 PM.

Okay, it turns out that all of these things are causing slowdown. I have almost all of them fixed, just one to go. Hopefully the loading period will be kinder to you from now on.

http://www.wesisgood.com/slidez/

New and improved loading. Won't kill render's browser. Also shows what's going on as it's happening. And, gives the player a nice overview of the level. I like it.

Student
    not slowing down that massive my computer anymore. Now its just the loading time,- could it be that it now needs longer? It felt like 3-4 minutes till everything was ready.
    Perhaps load your shape data as binary file- so that it loads faster and no parsing is needed at all,- works only in AS3 though. But like I said you might consider putting the array as actionscript variable in a swf file and load that swf file into your master swf file and prot it from there- without the need of parsing.

Try it now. Does it feel more tolerable?

I just loaded it and it took 1 minute 32 seconds from when I typed the URL to when I could start playing. Longer than I would like, but for now I think it's acceptable. I can reduce that by maybe 50% later if I want to go through some pretty big hassles to do it.

This is in AS3 but I think I'm going to avoid the binary file idea. The parsing really isn't a big deal, and I have potential reasons for wanting to use text files.

EDIT: It should be down to about 35 seconds now. Much more reasonable I think.
    Last edited by WesIsGood; 05-03-2008 at 09:04 AM.