A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Twitter Thread :: Let's Follow Each Other

Twitter Thread :: Let's Follow Each Other

I have no idea how many of you have been playing around with Twitter. I've been hopelessly hooked for while now, and here at work we're starting to really be able to use it to cultivate relationships and spread good content thru the interwebs. I'm always looking for new people to follow, and new followers as well (I'm currently at the top of my company's leaderboard - but barely!)

Let's follow each other! Post your link below.
    http://twitter.com/chadnorman

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

http://twitter.com/thomasedwards

Had an account for a while but never got into it. It's not very exciting when none of your friends use it.

Quote Originally Posted by asheep_uk
    Had an account for a while but never got into it. It's not very exciting when none of your friends use it.
    Exactly...twitter isn't about friends, it's about followers. It got exciting once I started using it for work. Getting links, beta invites, asking questions to my followers...that's the powerful exciting part.

Ah, these boys is all swelled up. So this was earlier...getting set to trade. Then, woooaaah differences.
    Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

I might have to take a look at it. All I hear about it is how obsessed people are and how often people update their status etc.
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

I wrote about this on my work blog:
    http://forums.blackbaud.com/blogs/we...ly-useful.aspx

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

Perhaps it's me being cynical, etc. but I always seem to find the 'social app of the moment' to be nothing more than the pet rock of it's time.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 05-07-2008 at 12:27 PM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Still got mine.

Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Perhaps it's me being cynical, etc. but I always seem to find the 'social app of the moment' to be nothing more than the pet rock of it's time.
    Exactly...you take the soup de jour, learn from it, and move on. If you ignore them all, how will you ever learn to understand all these new concepts and what they mean? It's the paradigms that are important here, not the platforms. We learned a lot about group communication from Facebook. We are learning a lot from disintermediated communication from twitter. I mean, I had actual contact with Robert Scoble last week via twitter...this would never have happened on any other platform (social network, blog, email, phone call, etc).

Any one read "Here Comes Everybody"? Good stuff...

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

http://twitter.com/gerbick

I'll be posting solely via my Nokia N810.... mobile twitter stylee.

btw, can anybody explain to me why I signed up?

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

<3
    In case if there is anyone in flash kit that's based in brisbane - http://www.twitter.com/briscreative

Quote Originally Posted by nordberg
    ...and here at work we're starting to really be able to use it to cultivate relationships and spread good content thru the interwebs.
    I'd very much like to read a write-up of this.

http://www.twitter.com/palexc
    Last edited by PAlexC; 06-30-2008 at 01:14 PM.
    "What really bugs me is that my mom had the audacity to call Flash Kit a bunch of 'inept jack-asses'." - sk8Krog
    ...and now I have tape all over my face.

I'm not going to reinvent the wheel here, as there are thousands of posts out there about why Twitter is actual useful for business, nonprofits, and individuals. For some good general business stuff, run through the Twitter category on Chris Brogan's blog - You'll see some good posts in April, about 1/2 down the first page there, and then on page 2. My posts are typically skewed for nonprofits, but the principles are the same. I blogged about how Twitter makes relationships work (this was for printed publication), and how Twitter is actually useful (this has links to a great digg > twitter > digg > blog traffic model with amazing numbers). A co-worker of mine wrote up a casual business case for twitter.

All that said, as a software company we have seen a lot of success over the last 3-4 months. First off, our social media strategy across the board is to use employees on social sites (not company pages/profiles) - I think this is critical in developing a true relationship. So, we have a core group of about 5 of us that have really used the platform to communicate daily with press, bloggers, competitors, customers, and each other. It promotes responsiveness, transparency, openness, engagement, and relationship cultivation - cheesy stuff that big companies like us need to focus on. In that short period of time, we have seen bloggers that used to write negatively about us change their tone. We've seen publications using our content and quotes. We have received invites to events and partnerships that were not available before. Those are just a few concrete results that came directly from this channel.

Professionally, it has increased my social graph, put valuable advice/information/links into my lap daily, provided a powerful channel to market social media (blog posts, podcasts, videos), and allowed me to network upstream with people out of my caste (I've traded tweets with Scoble, Kevin Rose, and Gina Trapani). By contrast, Facebook is like the science fair - a bunch of people setting up displays, milling around making small talk (Causes is an exception, and even then the results are mixed).

I also want to be clear that Twitter is not the big success here, but rather the format of the discussion is emerging as the powerful force. There has never been and easier way for busy people to directly communicate in mass to followers in real time (phone calls, letters, direct mail, blogging, etc - nothing can touch this). The only thing that can trump this are technologies like Qik, and we are a few gadget release cycles away from that hitting critical mass. That said, similar formats like Friend Feed and Plurk are actually better conceived, they just don't have the giant userbase yet. And watch out - Google is retooling Jaiku, have recently announced iGoogle's social transformation. and are quietly sitting on FriendConnect (which is VERY powerful) - In 12 months, things might look very different.

Sorry, done babbling...carry on.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

ok, i'm following all of you...muahahaha!

http://www.twitter.com/lefteyewilly

im starting a twitter..
    http://www.twitter.com/silverx2
    GhooooostGIrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrl
    https://signup.leagueoflegends.com?ref=4b5493e6c7342
    use the link above if you download league of legends.

My problem... I'd like to actually use Twitter to figure out more about things I'm currently learning about.

Well that and I still don't know what I'm going to do with this app. Probably it'll be something that I play around with, might make my own AIR app later.

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    Well that and I still don't know what I'm going to do with this app. Probably it'll be something that I play around with, might make my own AIR app later.
    Thwirl, a desktop Twitter client, was the first AIR app I actually used daily.

Blog ¤ Photos ¤ Book

naw, I meant as a plaything. nothing serious... really liking Flex/AIR.