A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [F8] Unique linkage identifiers

[F8] Unique linkage identifiers

I have a button symbol named print_button in my library with the linkage identifier 'printLinkage'. No other object in my library has this linkage identifier - I've checked several times. I drag an instance onto the stage and name it print_but. When there's no ActionScript on the button, it works fine, but as soon as I put AS of any type on the button, the following error comes up on publish:

**Warning** The linkage identifier 'printLinkage' was already assigned to the symbol 'print_button', and cannot be assigned to the symbol 'print_button', since linkage identifiers must be unique.

There is only one instance of print_button on the stage and it is a button being tracked as a button, and only one object with the linkage identifier printLinkage in the library.

I've been Googling for help, but have eliminated all the solutions I've found. Any help, please?

delete the button from library and recreate
    ~calmchess~

I recreated the buttons and the warning persists.

Okay, this was pretty convoluted, but here we go.

I was doing maintenance on this app - I didn't make it in the first place. Apparently the fla was made in MX 2004, and I didn't think anything of it when I opened it in Flash 8 and converted it to a Flash 8 fla. And I thought that recreating the buttons would solve any problems on that end too, but it persisted. I went back and saved as MX 2004 compatible, then back to Flash 8, and it seems to play nice now.