A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Break my portfolio

Break my portfolio

I've recently gone freelance, so I've done a new portfolio site. Before I send it to any agencies, can I ask some of you guys to have a look, see if you can see any obvious flaws or bugs.

Also if you have any design (which isn't my forte) comments that wouldn't require a total redesign I'd be happy to hear.

I'm posting it here because it's kind of gamey, and this is really the only forum I go to.

"I've recently gone freelance"

Wow, made the move then mate. The last couple of days in work, did you get a "What the hell have I done ?" feeling

As to the site, bit tricky to click on the "i" when an object is really spinning, and it implies that the games are quite throw away as they're grouped on the bottom of the screen like that, perhaps having shelves ( For want of a better word ) in there may work nicely, so the user who wants to screw around and throw things about can ?
    ( I'm thinking along the lines of Chris' mouse pointer game he did recently using box2D )

I really really like the list view mode, thought that was sweet.

Good luck with the freelancing mate,

Squize.

funnily enough I considered doing a similar thing for the errorware gallery

It looks good mate, and will let you know if anything crops up here in errorLand that you could come in and work on.

Chris

Cheers.

Squize, actually in the last week or so I was thinking 'why did I stay so long?'. I was compiling the images/assets of the projects I had done for the portfolio and the amount of banners, mpus etc that I'd spent half my time doing was frightening.

What about being able to double click the boxes to open them too?

Only thing I found was in case go on list and the window is small enough for your scrollbar to appear, it does not create scrollbar until you click on one of the list tabs.

Student
    some suggestions:
    - enable double click for item display
    - show the big screenshot right away,- not as soon as you roll over some hidden area (if I click on a thumbnail I somehow expect a big picture,- not just text alone). Also this kind of navigation takes quite some time if one only wants to browse through them roughly via screens.
    - make the 'i' perhaps equal to the menu font. I get the idea of the typical information 'i' beeing serif but it kind of looks odd (times new roman?),- makes search for a nicer i character,- or have a look here:
    http://www.dafont.com/theme.php?cat=...e=s&classt=pop
    - on most projects you state that your role in the particular project(s) is development that´s very vague. Does that include graphics, sounds, animations ect.? (I assume coding and asset management) Imo. beeing a little bit more open there might confuse some less - when it matters to a client.

overall I think its a very nice presentation good idea with the box2d thingy with a clean look.

good luck on the freelance road,- can be a tough one but you seem to have a strong portfolio

"actually in the last week or so I was thinking 'why did I stay so long?'"

Just before leaving preloaded, in my last couple of days there, I really was "I've done a bad thing here". I think we were in line for an award or two, there was something that made me have a tinge of panic.

About a month into freelancing I was the same as you are now, one of best things I've ever done.

Squize.

I like it a lot.
    i have the smae remark as others about the "I", that was not obviou to see it. I woould remove the "I" and simply launch the window when you click on an image.
    My other concern is about the CPU usage, it is 50% on a double core. It's quite a lot. what about fixing the boxes when nothing moves anymore ?

Thanks for the input - I'm going to look into putting a double click open function in as soon as I get time - that or simply make it a click to open, but draging doesn't open it.

The large picture should automatically appear - no rollovers. I think it's just a case of dreamhost being really slow. I'll think about putting in a loader to show somethings happening.

As to the cpu, I looking into that and it seems that it's not the box2d bit that's hoovering up the processing, it's the smoothing on the loaded in thumbs. The problem is they break up and look nasty if I turn it off. I think a quality toogle is what's needed.
    Last edited by happinessSam; 05-15-2008 at 08:51 AM.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    I've finally got a chance to look at it proper.

I think it's great. Simple and clever at the same time.

My only real usability issue is that i wanted really badly to click from thumb to thumb, and not have to exit the main display window each time. I understand you're probably disabling everything in the background for performance and clarity, but i like to browse stuff quickly. The list view is a great option and suited me better, but it would be nice if you could somehow combine the swift nav with the funky display.