A Flash Developer Resource Site

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: [Link] Just when you were getting to grips with F9

Quote Originally Posted by renderhjs
    vista is a desaster- (I hope for a new NT generation, instead of the consumer crap)
    just implying that sadly each new computer comes with Vista and because of vista also with a heavy GFX card
    Funny, I was just at Best Buy on the weekend, and as always was browsing the computer section. A lady was buying a new laptop and was asking how much extra to remove Vista and install XP. MS isn't the same since Gates became a philanthropist.

Regardless, DX9 seems a bit high for a min requirement.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Weird.

One should buy Vista, and use use the settings panel to remove the extraneous graphics fx and nonsense, then you have left is a more stable, more secure version of XP.

Quote Originally Posted by lesli_felix
    One should buy Vista, and use use the settings panel to remove the extraneous graphics fx and nonsense, then you have left is a more stable, more secure version of XP.
    I thought there were some XP apps Vista won't run?

Besides, I've become pretty attached to Linux lately. Compiz-Fusion is to die for.
    http://www.birchlabs.co.uk/
    You know you want to.

Nothing I've found that won't run yet, sometimes you have to set some compatibiltiy modes to get it to run smoothly (CS3 included)

I installed Ubuntu on an older machine yesterday and so far I well impressed.

Hmmm compiz-fusion looks amazing, but im not convinced how useful it is yet, the pc I have ubuntu on is pretty old so I'm not sure it'll benefit.

Knows where you live
    I had Ubuntu on my computer for about 7 months but it refused to work on my new computer (And oh, I tried to make it recognize my video cards to no avail) so I was forced back into XP. A shame, I like beryl.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

I saw this over at Adobe and thought it might help anyone trying out some of the new features:

http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforu...&enterthread=y

crossconscious
    Weird.

No way. I always set the graphics to win2k style, and remove all the nonsense, and there's just no way vista performs as well as XP. Try running a few audio applications (sequencers/daw's), and compare cpu results. XP wins hands down. And apparantly, sp3 gives xp quite a boost.

I was really ticked off when I ordered my laptop at work a few months ago and specified I wanted xp, and it came with vista. I thought I'd give it a chance (because I needed to be up and running quickly), but I regret that decission. Next install will be xp.

I do like the location bar breadcrumb clicky thingie. I'm more of a keyboard person, but it's still nice.

I agree about the performance, but there are quite a few tweaks you can do to speed things up.

Every succesive version of windows is slower. You want speed? Run windows 98 sp2

Vista is more secure than XP, and so far seems more stable too.

http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cf...peex-p2p-rtmfp
    http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/200...-analysis.html

If I am reading this correctly F10 has UDP protocol (of some sort) and it can also connect directly to other swfs without sending data to server (peer to peer).

Quote Originally Posted by tonypa
    http://www.flashcomguru.com/index.cf...peex-p2p-rtmfp
    http://whydoeseverythingsuck.com/200...-analysis.html

If I am reading this correctly F10 has UDP protocol (of some sort) and it can also connect directly to other swfs without sending data to server (peer to peer).
    Quote Originally Posted by JerryScript (page3)
    I just noticed the new RTMFP protocol. If I'm reading correctly, you will be able to bypass the server and have P2P communication. This could mean a huge drop in latency for any multiplayer games. It may be restricted to the new FMS for initialization, but as with AMFPHP, there is the potential for outside solutions.
    I'm still not sure how it will be implemented, but it does look promising!

Vista is more secure than XP, and so far seems more stable too.
    This will not be the case when every malware author will target Vista. Once upon a time I had WinME and not a single virus alert; then, the day I installed XP and connected to my ISP, some worm shut down my RPC service (you know, that "you got 60 seconds" alert) and hopelessly infected my machine. Took few days to clean that mess up.
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

Knows where you live
    From what I have read, only flash media server can start these connections, and its streaming video only. Ala youtube using your bandwidth to host their videos.

None of the information I have found has been very clear though, so I am still uncertain.
    The greatest pleasure in life is doing what people say you cannot do.
    - Walter Bagehot
    The height of cleverness is to be able to conceal it.
    - Francois de La Rochefoucauld

Quote Originally Posted by realMakc
    This will not be the case when every malware author will target Vista. Once upon a time I had WinME and not a single virus alert; then, the day I installed XP and connected to my ISP, some worm shut down my RPC service (you know, that "you got 60 seconds" alert) and hopelessly infected my machine. Took few days to clean that mess up.
    Yeah, that's XP. Like I said.... Vista is the best MS have come up with so far, by a long way.

It's difficult to code malware that has to ask a users permission to change system files.

you are missing the point. the reason why I had no viruses on ME is that by that time everybody was targeting XP. when everybody will be targeting Vista, XP will be next to safest OS on Earth.

p.s. in Russia we have this saying, "it isn't clean where they clean up, it is clean where they do not dump the trash".
    who is this? a word of friendly advice: FFS stop using AS2

you are missing the point. the reason why I had no viruses on ME is that by that time everybody was targeting XP. when everybody will be targeting Vista, XP will be next to safest OS on Earth.

p.s. in Russia we have this saying, "it isn't clean where they clean up, it is clean where they do not dump the trash".
    You don't even need worms on ME, holy crap that was the worst OS ever. I don't think I ever saw it go on for more than a few hours without screwing up.

the reason you didn't have viruses on ME is because you were very lucky.

99% virus protection is user common sense anyway. the last 1% is making sure the system doesn't let any application do anything fundamental to the system without asking your permission. Vista does this fine.

Once upon a time I had WinME and not a single virus alert
    Maybe you just didn't notice becaue ME itself was constantly crashing just like a virus would crash your PC. That was by far the worst version of Windows.

edit: I see now that Hatu beat me with this type of comment, yes Win ME was even crappier than a Mac.

I've never had a virus on any pc with Win2K or XP, and I must have used at least 9,10 with those OSs ( and still are using 4 of them with XP. ).

Vista does seem fine. I don't run any major softwaere on that one, but for everyday stuff ( type of thing most people do ) it seems OK. Hasn't crashed or caused any problems yet.

I wouldn't go back to XP from vista for anything, and I use it at work with 3-4 IDE's open at a time (SQL 2005, VS 2008, VS 2005, VB6, InterDev...) without any lag whatsoever. I never understood the vista haters... it must be how they use it because I've never had any problems.

As for viruses... like lesli said, "99% virus protection is user common sense", which I completely agree with. I've never installed anti-virus software or popup blockers on my personal machines and I've never had a virus. That is true all the way back to windows 3.1

formerly hooligan2001 :) .hooligan's Avatar
    I know I made a thread about it but here is the Flash 10 Language reference to help anyone play with the new features.

http://www.senocular.com/?id=2.33

Vista still overuses the computer:Games are slower than Xp, The system is slower, everything is slower. Microsoft even released Xp sp3
    Edit: are they going to make a new lenguage, or you have to download an api.
    Last edited by Never_land:(; 05-23-2008 at 09:31 AM.