dcsimg
A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Can't get mail working in php Win 2003 iis

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar

Can't get mail working in php Win 2003 iis

I'm working with a hosting company to configure the Windows 2003 IIS server so that I can use the php mail function.

I don't get any errors when I submit my test.php form, but I don't get a test e-mail message either:

<?php
    mail('myemail@gmail.com', 'Subject', 'Your message here.');
    ?>

The phpinfo.php is at http://ferguson.miken.net/phpinfo.php

They said they set the sendmail_from but it doesn't seem to be set...would that be the problem?

Thanks!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

AS3 Mod
    Could be the setup of the mail path on their end for "sendmail_path". sendmail_from is not really required for the function to work.

http://us.php.net/manual/en/mail.configuration.php

Hi,

to be honest - when I just drop a server in its rack and enable mail, I would not expect mail to work in all possible cases ... even on a non-windows server.
    Many web servers are sending to a local mailserver first, rather than straight to the target, and would need a smtp server name for configuration.
    Also I would not necessarily expect a mail without additional From or To headers to show up in my inbox, so test with
    mail('myemail@gmail.com', 'Subject', 'Your message here.',From: server@ferguson.miken.net\nTo: myemail@gmail.com');

If that does not work, probably easiest thing (they are a hosting company) would be to set up a test machine with a mail server and watch the communication with wireshark

Musicman

anyone else hear that? flashpipe1's Avatar
    Hmmm...adding the extra From info didn't do it...haven't heard of Wireshark before...would they set that up on the server end??

will that work on windows 2003?

Thanks!
    Love like you've never been hurt, live like there's no tomorrow and dance like nobody's watching.

Hi,

Wireshark (previously ethereal) is a network sniffer.
    So the idea would be to set up a spare pc in their network, arrange for a MTA to run on it (that box does not need to be windows) and assign it a local (only) hostname.
    Now sending your form should show network activity both on the sending and the receiving machine

Musicman