A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [CS3] Animated Mask cause MC to play twice

[CS3] Animated Mask cause MC to play twice

For example. I have a movieclip with a ten frames long shape tween. Keyframe 10 has a stop() action. This movieclip is placed on frame 1-10 of the stage. On stage and on a layer above, I create another 10 frames long shape tween. Again, keyframe 10 has a stop(). I then turn this layer to a mask for the layer with the movieclip.

When I test the movie, the movieclip shape tween will not stop at frame 10 but instead play an additional time. I don’t understand why. If I turn off the mask function, it will stop as expected. Also, if the last keyframe of the mask is converted into an ordinary frame (thus destroying the shape tween), the movieclip shape tween will stop as expected.

I can work around this but I like to understand why this happen.

can u post an example .fla?
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

Apparently a keyframe in the mask layer will always cause a masked movieclip to start over from frame 1.

Trying to learn Flash's authoring tool drives me nuts...

And only a few minutes later I discover another quirk - when I copy and paste frames, shape hints are somehow left behind so that the once tidy shape tween turns into mess.

I then converted the animated mask to a movieclip and set it to mask the original movieclip with code instead, i.e., shapetween_mc.setMask(mask_mc)

Now everything works like it should so the problem is caused by a peculiarity in authoring tool created masks only.