A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: Silverlight v Flash

Banned

Silverlight v Flash

So I was emailed a link to a Microsoft Charity page, developed in Silverlight. The cause is worthy... Microsoft will donate $1 for each person viewing a short clip on MS Office. However users need to download the Silverlight plug-in to participate.

Obviously MS wants to expand the install base of Silverlight. With Flash owning well over 90% of the market, what do Flash developers think of this approach?

Is Flash development stagnating/resting on its laurels...

Either way... good chance to take some of Microsoft's money and send it to someone more needy...

Osh..

if this is what it sounds like- MS is buying its user base?
    "Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."- T. McKenna

FK's Official Mac Hater jasonsplace's Avatar
    I don't know if they'd really have to "buy" their user base. If they really wanted SilverLight on every computer they could just include it as an automatic update. Sure some people have updates turned off but it would eventually get around.
    Jason L. Wright
    I'm not that hard to imitate. Just make some random negative claim at Apple or anything else for that matter and then have nothing to back it up.

Surfing yesterday I came across a site that used silverlight which I had to install to view it. I just hit the little red "x" in the corner of my browser.
    Last edited by CVO Chris; 05-23-2008 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonsplace
    I don't know if they'd really have to "buy" their user base. If they really wanted SilverLight on every computer they could just include it as an automatic update. Sure some people have updates turned off but it would eventually get around.
    they have, it's an optional update on vista. I still haven't installed it.

Just sayin' here, but...

has anyone noticed that the original poster registered here on FK just to post this link?

M$ spam, anyone?
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

First thing I thought too HR.
    Just in case you are from M$ research, I'm working on a translator that will let the flash player view silverlight. I'm also making a firefox plugin that will detect and uninstall silverlight automatically.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by hanratty21
    Just sayin' here, but...

has anyone noticed that the original poster registered here on FK just to post this link?

M$ spam, anyone?
    Wasn't intended as spam. As I posted above, I was emailed the link and thought it was an interesting way to increase the install base of Silverlight, plus a chance for the anti-MS community to direct some MS funds to charity.

I just find it very odd when someone goes out of their way to register at a forum just to make one post which, whether intended or not, seems to be able to be explained as nothing more than a self serving purpose. You have to admit it - it certainly smells a little spammy.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    If this was games or coolsites, (s)he'd have been flamed a lot more by now.

I love how the new microsoft update beta app requires silverlight.

So they've given up on the hype that didn't sell.
    They tried the "Special Content" that wasn't significant enough for me to consider it and now they are trying to shove it down everyone's throat.

....he's amazing!!! lesli_felix's Avatar
    Silverlight will be a strong contender eventually...if microsoft are prepared to admit some mistakes and make a few fundamental changes.

Their single biggest mistake is the development API, or lack of one. Currently you're required to fudge together new tools with old ones, and none of them I like. I think they completely dismissed converting flash developers and instead hoped to get their .NET user base building silverlight apps for a quick content fix. That hasn't worked because web-app-multimedia is not familiar territory for those types of developers.

They need to start from there. As you say Frets, all their efforts elsewhere are wasted.

It used to be said of MS that they were a first rate marketing company and a 3rd rate software company.

If MS had the clout they did in the late 90's they could actually have something. That they could develop later. They don't have the clout and they fumble in development of open source.

Charge everyone $1000 for Silverlight software. Build a reliable single use program. Increase flexibility and they might have something. It's amazing how hard a company will work to develop a software program that has to be paid for.

Silverlight, from a developer's standpoint seems more like it's against Flex, not Flash. Eclipse vs. Visual Studio basically.

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

^ good comparison.
    Quote Originally Posted by Frets
    So they've given up on the hype that didn't sell.
    They tried the "Special Content" that wasn't significant enough for me to consider it and now they are trying to shove it down everyone's throat.
    The only thing surprising about that is that they didn't shove it down our throats to begin with. I'm literally shocked it didn't come down as an involuntary windows update.

I agree with the clout thing. It's like Bush trying to sell us on Iran. Too many jaded users out there thinking, "not this time chump."
    Still, the money cascade that put them on top of the console war within two consoles could also have silverlight competing in a few versions.

But its important to realize that the 360's success was in light of some very bad decision making by its competitors. Flash is only picking up steam and at this pace, by the time silverlight catches up to flash player 10, the current flash player will be blowing that away too.