A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: RIAA and Media Defender... at it again.

Thumbs down RIAA and Media Defender... at it again.

These dudes need to go to hell. Not that I like P2P; I don't like somebody with deep pockets serving only themselves.

Media Defender is a company hired by the RIAA to disrupt P2P networks by distributing fake files, generating bogus search results and even gobbling up the bandwidth of file providers.

They were a company that flew largely under the radar until a hacking group offered up a flood of internal e-mails for all to see. Those e-mails exposed a number of company efforts, including DDoS attacks and the creation of entrapment websites that pretended to offer pirated material. Why would the RIAA's henchmen try to take down a legitimate video network?
    Read more here...

[ Hello ] | [ gerbick ] | [ Ω ]

<3
    yeah read about them. they seem annoying

Tactics like this always backfire. You have to be really disliked to make copyright pirates look like the good guys. I am starting to think they are.

Hmmm...I seem to remember a very heated thread about a veeeery similar topic a while back in here. I am going to re-up my thoughts here too. Until the P2P sites provide a due diligence to insure that their 'service' is not being used to assist in distributing pirated material, then the tactics will continue to exist and continue to bridge the gray area that the P2P networks themselves hide inside of. A viscious circle, no? P2P's need to police their own service to avoid having content that, in actuality, provides the fuel they need to exist in the first place. Quite the conundrum. I don't use P2P sites...haven't since the lawsuits started years ago. If you use them, AND you acquire or distribute material that you should not be, I have no mercy, regardless if you are a 10 year old kid or 90 year old grandmother. Stealing is stealing, regardless of the methods used to curb such activity.

</my opinion>

*EDIT* After reading a little more about this particular issue, I feel for Revision3 (though Kevin Rose does NOT need any more money) for falling prey to Media Defender, but I still stand by my post above.
    Last edited by hanratty21; 06-03-2008 at 02:01 AM.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

While I stand by your P2P rhetoric, the whole issue is that these people took down a regular site. Better yet, why were they using some backdoor access to begin with?

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick
    While I stand by your P2P rhetoric, the whole issue is that these people took down a regular site. Better yet, why were they using some backdoor access to begin with?
    Several points...
    • You're up way too late, dogg.
    • Agreed on taking down a regular site (though - see my Kevin Rose comments)
    • I dont object to the backdoor access...they are playing dirty...like the pirates.
    "Why does it hurt when I pee?" -- F. Zappa |

Naw, just woke up due to some overseas commitments.

Nap time in a bit... then my full day. Again.