A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: [RESOLVED] In game screenshots?

resolved [RESOLVED] In game screenshots?

Hey guys, I searched the thread but nothing really answered my question. Bascially I have created a create a character flash app, it works great except I don't know how to export the finished character as an image file. Basically the games characters will only be portraits of faces. I want to use my create a char as a design tool to create the characters for the game, I want to export those created characters as image files and then have those images load when I call them in the actual game itself. I will be using the same create a character system in the actual game itself for when the player creates his character at the start. Is it possible to also save the character in game so that I can use the portrait throughout the game without having it called externally.

cheers,
    Myles Blasonato.

OHHH! Your name is Myles! :-)

There is no built-in way to do what you're asking for. There is a complicated way that involves "bitmapdata", and streaming the data to a PHP script which then saves the data as a JPG or PNG file.

Yeah thanks for the answer but I found a way to do it.
    You store a movieclip symbol with the created character to a bitmapData object and then attach it to a blank symbol to show it again later on. Works great. To save my image for designing I could just use a screencapture program and make the bg transparent in photoshop. It's still quicker than redrawing all characters.

Cheers,
    Myles Blasonato.
    The Threads solved by the way.

If your characters are made up by predefined movieclips/sprites (as opposed to drawing in flash), you can just save which sprites are used, and the x, y, rotation and scale properties of them to a database, and then load them into the game later

Then you also could make people use or even rate other people's characters
    I don't have a photograph, but you can have my footprints. They're upstairs in my socks.

That's right, that's a way that I was going to do it but I wanted a more sophisticated way to do colour as well which of course can't be saved to a database that easily.