A Flash Developer Resource Site

Thread: coding for lg vx8800 (venus) issues...

coding for lg vx8800 (venus) issues...

Hey all!

I'm new to coding for phones, but I picked this one up and now I wanna hack the hell out of it! Saddly.. I'm having issues. The phone's interface is made in flash so I figured I could replace some of it with my own stuff.

First task - Make a flash wallpaper that displays the state of the battery. Sounded easy... first I did this for flash lite 2.1 which works great when previewed in device central:

PHP Code:
    checkBattery();
    vibrate true;
    function 
    checkBattery(){

battLevel fscommand2("GetBatteryLevel");

maxBattLevel fscommand2("GetMaxBatteryLevel");

percent Math.floor(battLevel/maxBattLevel*100);

battCounter.text percent "%";

battStats.text "current level: " battLevel "\rtotal level: " maxBattLevel;

//goto 75%

if(percent <= 75 && percent 50){

battery.gotoAndStop(2);
        }

//goto 50%

if(percent <= 50 && percent 25){

battery.gotoAndStop(3);
        }

//goto 25%

if(percent <= 25 && percent 5){

battery.gotoAndStop(4);
        }

//goto 5%

if(percent <= 5){

battery.gotoAndStop(5);

if(
    vibrate){

status fscommand2("StartVibrate"200010002);
            }

vibrate false;
        }
    }
    //change to 60
    checkTimer setInterval(this"checkBattery"10000); 
    displays the battery state, if it's about to die it vibrates twice (ironic i know). No Go. It just kept saying 100% battery... so I tried coding in flash lite 1.1 even though the phone supports 2.1 because I ran out of ideas:

PHP Code:
    battLevel fscommand2("GetBatteryLevel");
    maxBattLevel fscommand2("GetMaxBatteryLevel");
    percent Math.floor(battLevel/maxBattLevel*100);
    battCounter percent;

//goto 75%
    if(percent <= 75 && percent 50){

tellTarget("battery"){

gotoAndStop(2);
        }
    }
    //goto 50%
    if(percent <= 50 && percent 25){

tellTarget("battery"){

gotoAndStop(3);
        }
    }
    //goto 25%
    if(percent <= 25 && percent 5){

tellTarget("battery"){

gotoAndStop(4);
        }
    }
    //goto 5%
    if(percent <= 5){

tellTarget("battery"){

gotoAndStop(5);
        }

if(
    vibrate){

status fscommand2("StartVibrate"200010002);
        }

vibrate false;

still no go. both preview fine, neither work on the phone... it traces out the max battery as 4 and the current batter as 4 no matter what...

Anyone have any suggestions?

ps I forgot to mention, I've replaced one of the default swf wallpapers with my swf file using BitPim. I've also tried replacing the tipcalculator to the same ends
    Last edited by EvolveDesigns; 06-03-2008 at 07:00 PM.
    Evolve Designs Interactive Media
    the natural selection

dude, i wish i could help! i've only just started to get into programming for devices (recently acquired a lg viewty for this purpose) so good luck to you!!

Dan

You may already know this but the Verizon BREW platform is tricky to work. Usually you need to build your SWF into a BREW application to get it to work on the phone.

Since you are swapping screensaver SWFs that are already installed, perhaps there is some issue related to the installation process.

have you tried printing values from other fscommand2() to see if there is a problem with the battery values specifically or if there is something about the way you are installing the SWF that is causing it to not execute properly on the phone.

since you are from British Columbia area, I am going to assume this is not the BREW version of lg vx8800.

You may need to get the original SWF files from the device and decompile them in case there are any proprietary fscommand2() enabling functions or ASNative() function calls that make SWF screensavers work.

yeah that's a good call. I was able to work with every key on the phone and the vibrate feature no probs, I'm gonna make an swf with all fs2 commands just to see.. games are no prob though you can't use loadMovie which is a drag.
    Last edited by EvolveDesigns; 06-09-2008 at 07:02 PM.
    the natural selection

Does someone have a profile for this phone for Device Central or is there another phone to use as a test phone?

Quote Originally Posted by hp3
    since you are from British Columbia area, I am going to assume this is not the BREW version of lg vx8800.
    yup it is the brew version.. I've decompiled the tip calculator and there is quite a bit of proprietary fs2 commands so it looks like i need to do quite a bit of fooling around to figure it all out..

@tbolt74
    I've yet to find one.. if you do make sure to post back here
    ps howardforums has alot of threads about modding this phone so maybe check there.
    the natural selection

Just to be clear, whether or not this phone is BREW may not matter so much.

I mentioned that issue just because inorder to get a SWF onto a BREW phone you must wrap it as a BREW application and include your BREW developer certificate or else the BREW platform will not play the SWF. The BREW 3 platform does not recognize native SWF files.

My guess is that this phone is not BREW (are there any operators in Canada using the QualComm BREW system?)

I think this is just an example of a LG phone using SWF for certain features and you can get to the SWF with bitpim.

It would be interesting to know some of the fscommand2s in there.
    Last edited by hp3; 08-14-2008 at 10:16 AM.

well i don't know much about brew, but there's a brew folder and I know you can't install downloaded games because of the brew protection. That said I was able to replace the tip calculator with a flash game woot ha.
    the natural selection

well it must be a BREW phone then

Glad you are making progress with moding the phone.

Just out of curiousity what network are you using?

When attempting to hack the menu on my Venus so I like others noticed the flash/ui/menu folder in BitPim and instantly thought 'jackpot.' I'd just run it through Flash Decompiler and do my editing. Well FD didn't give me everything.

When decompiled and recompiled there are numerous compiler errors. I believe Flash Lite 2.1 is correct and ActionScript 2.0. If anyone knows different then please provide the info.

When loaded to the phone the menu doesn't scroll and it doesn't highlight the middle item. I believe it's because the decompiler doesn't get all of Acroverse.as and EventListener.as. They seem to be missing a lot of script. If anyone is able to recover those two files then we're on our way to hacking the top menu.

On a side note I'd love to get my hands on the mobile font set that was used (Slate Mobile).

Here's the structure of the files for the Top Menu:

topMenuTheme1.fla
    topMenuTheme1.flp

include (folder)
    -> Acroverse.as

src (folder)
    -> event (subfolder)
    ->-> EventHandler.as
    ->-> EventListener.as
    ->-> ScopeEvent.as
    -> ui (subfolder)
    ->-> ListType.as
    -> util (subfolder)
    ->-> ArrayBaseCount.as
    ->-> Delegate.as
    ->-> FsComType1.as

Here is the list of errors:

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/include/Acroverse.as, Line 3: This statement is not permitted in a class definition.
    _global.include.Acroverse = function ()

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/event/EventListener.as, Line 3: This statement is not permitted in a class definition.
    _global.src.event.EventListener = function ()

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 10: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetLanguage", "language");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 19: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", type, "screenID", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 32: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", type, "topRow", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 45: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", type, "currentRow", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 58: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", type, "newMsg", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 71: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", type, "modeType", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 84: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", "subMenu", "menuStr", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 92: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("SetVars", type, "screenID=" + num);

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 98: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("SetVars", type, "topRow=" + num);

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 104: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("SetVars", type, "currentRow=" + num);

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 112: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("SetVars", type, "currentRow=" + smnum + "&topRow=" + startNum);

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 123: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("SetVars", type, "screenID=" + id + "&currentRow=" + smnum + "&topRow=" + stnum);

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 134: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("GetVars", type + "," + "unreadInbox", "/");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 164: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("Quit");

**Error** /Users/VENUS TOP MENU/src/util/FsComType1.as, Line 174: There is no method with the name 'FLCmd'.
    FLCmd("SetQuality", str);

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Action Layer, frame=1, Line 14: There is no class or package with the name 'src.ui' found in package 'src'.
    this[menuName] = new src.ui.ListType();

Total ActionScript Errors: 18, Reported Errors: 18